Ribble bikes - customer service queries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Not really sure where to put this, but here seems to be a good place. I'm looking for a new bike and had settled on a CGR in titanium. However - I went into the shop, had a nose about and there were loads of staff hanging about. The help I got in there was great, but I had a query so sent them an email and I've not heard anything back. So I followed up today and have yet to hear back. I went on their Instagram page to have a look and a lot of the comments below posts are 'where is my bike', 'you keep pushing my delivery date back' and other such things. So I'm now a little nervous about going down the ribble route and wondering if I look elsewhere.

Anyone had a Ribble bike recently and had decent customer service, or do I not touch them and go elsewhere?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
From this thread it seems they have form.

Personally being somewhat dubious of their business model and super-risk-averse I'd run a mile.

I'd also not be doing Ti; especially from a retailer who's apparently stuggling and may or may not be around in the near future to service warranty claims.

If their comms are this bad when you're actively trying to give them money, I don't hold out a lot of hope for their support if you get a problem..

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

The same could possibly be said of any manufacturer who has a lifetime frame warranty in place. That said, oddly their frame warranty is only 3 years which does not sound great to me.

I've been looking at a kinesis gtd as well as a reilly (just the frameset for these) so might go down that route instead.

vickster

Legendary Member
Spa are a good established retailer, maybe check out the Sabbath AR1 if looking for a gravelish bike. Call them rather than email though, they’re quite traditional in their communication!
Dolan also have a Ti option.
The only awareness I have of Kinesis Ti is a recent thread about a cracked frame and not covered by warranty.

vickster

Legendary Member
Haha I have indeed been seduced by the shiny shiny. Is this nervous about the material itself or just ribble?

There are instances of Ti frames cracking but no more than other materials. Enigma, J Guillen and Van Nic offer lifetime warranties I think, but you'll pay a pretty hefty premium, you could just get a new frame with the difference. I think the Spa bikes have 10 years for original owner

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

There are instances of Ti frames cracking but no more than other materials. Enigma, J Guillen and Van Nic offer lifetime warranties I think, but you'll pay a pretty hefty premium, you could just get a new frame with the difference. I think the Spa bikes have 10 years for original owner

The September looks great tbh

vickster

Legendary Member
The September looks great tbh

I have one as my winter gravel bike, fat tyres, mudguards, rack, do it all bike, it’s my avatar in post purchase guise, rack added later.
They built it to my exact spec with SRAM, handbuilt wheels even purple tape and cables :biggrin: I went to Harrogate, tried it out, confirmed spec

Not really sure where to put this, but here seems to be a good place. I'm looking for a new bike and had settled on a CGR in titanium. However - I went into the shop, had a nose about and there were loads of staff hanging about. The help I got in there was great, but I had a query so sent them an email and I've not heard anything back. So I followed up today and have yet to hear back. I went on their Instagram page to have a look and a lot of the comments below posts are 'where is my bike', 'you keep pushing my delivery date back' and other such things. So I'm now a little nervous about going down the ribble route and wondering if I look elsewhere.

Anyone had a Ribble bike recently and had decent customer service, or do I not touch them and go elsewhere?

Having a bike custom built - so choosing the paint etc always runs the risk of extending the leadtime for it.
I know when I used to buy custom steel frames - they always took longer than they were meant to.
I went to Planet X and bought a Ti bike off the peg - it was here within a few days. It was very close in price to Ribble but I've used PX lots of times before with no drama.

I'm sure Ribble would be fine even if the bike might be later than they say.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Having a bike custom built - so choosing the paint etc always runs the risk of extending the leadtime for it.
I know when I used to buy custom steel frames - they always took longer than they were meant to.
I went to Planet X and bought a Ti bike off the peg - it was here within a few days. It was very close in price to Ribble but I've used PX lots of times before with no drama.

I'm sure Ribble would be fine even if the bike might be later than they say.

I fancied a PX Hurricane - but they don't seem to make it anymore!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Haha I have indeed been seduced by the shiny shiny. Is this nervous about the material itself or just ribble?
Put it this way I wouldn't buy one, but then I'm just an old cynic.
Ti is very difficult to work with and needs expert attention. I can't see any advantage in the material but you like it why not? Quite a few instances of failure.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Put it this way I wouldn't buy one, but then I'm just an old cynic.
Ti is very difficult to work with and needs expert attention. I can't see any advantage in the material but you like it why not? Quite a few instances of failure.

Aye; I think it's like many other "exotic" materials - potentially fine if worked with care by someone who knows what they're doing (for which of course you'll pay), but likely a huge can of worms when the cheaper end of the market starts churning it out to service the demand from people who simply think no futher than "Ti=Gud".

Personally I'd take a mid-range steel frame over entry-level Ti any day of the week..

Last edited:
Top Bottom