Ribble CGR Ti 1x for AUDAX ? What do you think ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
I love Titanium and already have a Van Nicholas Yukon2x, but I am looking for something lower geared with hydro brakes for hillier audaxes and lightweight touring/bikepacking. Minimal off road usage beyond gravel tracks, etc.

Experiences and opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is the Yukon rim braked? If it’s disk brake why not just fit lower gearing on what you have?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well you wouldn’t have to replace full chainset just a new rear derailleur or wolf link. But seems like disc brakes is the pull. As you know audax is done on all sorts including fixed gear. If the 1x gives the ratios and range you want, and everything else works for you, then why not? Some will come in saying you can’t get the perfect cadence, with 1x, but for me I’m happy at quite a wide range if cadence.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A Spa Audax bike would certainly make you fit in with the beardies on the next Bryan Chapman Memorial.

Looks like a decent bike as well.

It has a mountain triple, and Spa will tinker with the gears if they are still not low enough.

Nice Reynolds 725 frame - the higher the number, the better the steel.

No discs, but would quality calipers be such a poor alternative?

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s223p2866/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Audax-Shimano-105-5700-triple

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Well you wouldn’t have to replace full chainset just a new rear derailleur or wolf link. But seems like disc brakes is the pull. As you know audax is done on all sorts including fixed gear. If the 1x gives the ratios and range you want, and everything else works for you, then why not? Some will come in saying you can’t get the perfect cadence, with 1x, but for me I’m happy at quite a wide range if cadence.
Good advice, I might see if I can get a smaller chainring too. I still fancy 1x though.

si_c

Guru
Which chainset and ratios are you running now?

I've done bonkers hilly audaxes (vv slowly) with a triple - they would have been really miserable on my 1x.

I've also done the same lumpy 200k with triple and 1x - it was easier with a triple!

Worse on 1x because of ratio gaps, or something else ?
My 1x doesn't have a nice low ratio, so that's the problem. When I ride it on the flat, it does the job OK, but it's much nicer having the closer ratios I have on my triple bikes.
I CAN ride with biggish gaps but it's much less enjoyable, especially on longer rides.
The gaps I would need with 10-11 speed to get the range I currently I have would be - for me - a major pain. Of course I could ride around with a Sturmey 3-speed, but it's not my choice for a dream bike!

1x has it's place - my commute is fine, and I use the same bike on shorter moderate hilly rides. And I race CX quite happily on 1 ring.
Both of these activities only need quite a narrow gear range.

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
My 1x doesn't have a nice low ratio, so that's the problem. When I ride it on the flat, it does the job OK, but it's much nicer having the closer ratios I have on my triple bikes.
I CAN ride with biggish gaps but it's much less enjoyable, especially on longer rides.
The gaps I would need with 10-11 speed to get the range I currently I have would be - for me - a major pain. Of course I could ride around with a Sturmey 3-speed, but it's not my choice for a dream bike!

1x has it's place - my commute is fine, and I use the same bike on shorter moderate hilly rides. And I race CX quite happily on 1 ring.
Both of these activities only need quite a narrow gear range.
Thanks, good feedback, cheers.

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
A Spa Audax bike would certainly make you fit in with the beardies on the next Bryan Chapman Memorial.

Looks like a decent bike as well.

It has a mountain triple, and Spa will tinker with the gears if they are still not low enough.

Nice Reynolds 725 frame - the higher the number, the better the steel.

No discs, but would quality calipers be such a poor alternative?

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s223p2866/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Audax-Shimano-105-5700-triple
Nice suggestion, I'm looking for Ti and would really prefer hydro brakes. I do like their bikes though and the Sabbath is winking at me.

si_c

Guru
If running Shimano cranks with a 52/36 front you could easily swap the chainrings for a 50/34 which would lower the ratios somewhat - I've had some success just swapping the inner ring for a 34. You could then put on a Tiagra long cage rear mech and use a 34t low sprocket for a 1:1 final ratio.

If you really want a low low gear then your best option is a 34t rear sprocket with something like an AbsoluteBlack 46/30 chainrings up front - they are oval rings mind, but gives you a nice low ratio without sacrificing the top end too much and the bolt onto existing shimano cranks.

Top Bottom