Ribble CGR Ti 1x for AUDAX ? What do you think ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nice suggestion, I'm looking for Ti and would really prefer hydro brakes. I do like their bikes though and the Sabbath is winking at me.

Hydro discs and an uber low first gear might be a problem out of the box.

I believe roadie hydro shifters only come in two speeds, which means you cannot have a mountain triple at the front, which in turn may give you a smallest front ring of about 34.

You would then need a wide range MTB cassette at the rear to get anything much lower than you have already (36/32).

There is a cable three speed front shifter - Spa list a few bikes with cable discs and mountain triples.

The gearing world is then largely your lobster because you could get something in the low 20s at the front.

Worth having a word with Spa about your gearing requirements, because they will customise.

I wouldn't be too hasty to rule out a frame made from Reynolds 725 - them are nice pipes.

I tried a Spa Ti bike and a Reynolds tourer.

Couldn't tell much difference, but you are far more experienced roadie bike cyclist than me, so you may be able to.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not familar with the particular bike in question, but it seems that 1x would suck on an audax / road bike. If anything I'd be looking at completely the other end of the scale..

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
If running Shimano cranks with a 52/36 front you could easily swap the chainrings for a 50/34 which would lower the ratios somewhat - I've had some success just swapping the inner ring for a 34. You could then put on a Tiagra long cage rear mech and use a 34t low sprocket for a 1:1 final ratio.

If you really want a low low gear then your best option is a 34t rear sprocket with something like an AbsoluteBlack 46/30 chainrings up front - they are oval rings mind, but gives you a nice low ratio without sacrificing the top end too much and the bolt onto existing shimano cranks.
Thanks very good suggestions. I will have a look at the Tiagra rear mech and 34T inner ring.

si_c

Guru
Thanks very good suggestions. I will have a look at the Tiagra rear mech and 34T inner ring.
It's worth keeping in mind that 4700 Tiagra and 5700 105 are largely interchangeable. There is also the possibility that you could get a 5703 left shifter and 5703 crankset which would give you a triple at the front whilst maintaining the aesthetic of your existing groupset. I would have thought that Spa would be able to sort you out there.

Hi I have a Kinesis Tipster ATR titanium. When new 4 years ago it was only available frame and forks so you could spec as desired. Very versatile and as ATR stands for adventure, tour, race I think it covers all bases. Can take massive tyres and has mudguard fixing points too. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Lard Armstrong

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
Hi I have a Kinesis Tipster ATR titanium. When new 4 years ago it was only available frame and forks so you could spec as desired. Very versatile and as ATR stands for adventure, tour, race I think it covers all bases. Can take massive tyres and has mudguard fixing points too. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I've heard good things about Kinesis, another possibility I'll follow up. Good call, thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve got a Sabbath AR1... lovely bike Albeit mine has SRAM rival with TRP Spyres, Spa will spec as required :okay:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
It's worth keeping in mind that 4700 Tiagra and 5700 105 are largely interchangeable. There is also the possibility that you could get a 5703 left shifter and 5703 crankset which would give you a triple at the front whilst maintaining the aesthetic of your existing groupset. I would have thought that Spa would be able to sort you out there.

Tiagra 4700 is on its own when it comes to cable pull/shift ratio.. I use Tiagra 4600 and the 4700 series derailleur is not compatible, but 105 5700 is compatible.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Tiagra 4700 is on it's own when it comes to cable pull/shift ratio.. I use Tiagra 4600 and the 4700 series derailleur is not compatible, but 105 5700 is compatible.
Just realised I'm getting myself confused, 4700 is compatible with 11 speed systems, you're absolutely right.

Top Bottom