Ribble R872 (Stealth 2012) **REVIEW**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lpoolck

Veteran
The frame isn't so stiff as to make things uncomfortable over distance. It is stiff - in a good way - but wheels, tyres (and pressure), bars and saddle type will have a much bigger impact on comfort.

I've ridden the bike on many 100+ mile rides and not thought it any less comfortable than my other bikes. Would recommend. Hard to see better for the £££.

Thanks for the response. Good to know it's good for 100+ miles rides. I was looking at getting deda 2 for the contact points as they get good reviews. Cannot justify the big spend for carbon handlebars. Rather put the money saved into the wheels.

Out of interest what other bikes do you have? I'm upgrading from a carerra vanquish so it's going to be night and day for me.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Thanks for the response. Good to know it's good for 100+ miles rides. I was looking at getting deda 2 for the contact points as they get good reviews. Cannot justify the big spend for carbon handlebars. Rather put the money saved into the wheels.

Out of interest what other bikes do you have? I'm upgrading from a carerra vanquish so it's going to be night and day for me.
I'm sure it will be a very good upgrade.

Bikes are De Rosa Idol, Boardman Air 9.8, Kuota Kross & Cannondale Caadx.

Oh and a cracked frame R872 (Stealth). :cry:

Nut E1

Shame to hear of your crash Pedro, hope all is ok...
I crashed at 36mph in the final sprint of a race on Thursday evening and the frame and forks took major damage, I came off a little bit better, using crutches but nothing broken.
Couple of photo's on my Strava page https://www.strava.com/activities/313747814
I've just looked on the Ribble site and they're not selling the R872 frame and forks separately anymore, so was looking at getting the MEKK Primo 6.2 which is a lot of bike for £2k. although with my discounts at Wiggle i can get it for £1,600.00 but they don't have them until July!!!

Here is my bike before the crash, looking good with eBay wheels, it used to fly...
https://instagram.com/p/qgZW9hR5H-/?taken-by=kevinmduke

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Shame to hear of your crash Pedro, hope all is ok...
I crashed at 36mph in the final sprint of a race on Thursday evening and the frame and forks took major damage, I came off a little bit better, using crutches but nothing broken.
Couple of photo's on my Strava page https://www.strava.com/activities/313747814
I've just looked on the Ribble site and they're not selling the R872 frame and forks separately anymore, so was looking at getting the MEKK Primo 6.2 which is a lot of bike for £2k. although with my discounts at Wiggle i can get it for £1,600.00 but they don't have them until July!!!

Here is my bike before the crash, looking good with eBay wheels, it used to fly...
https://instagram.com/p/qgZW9hR5H-/?taken-by=kevinmduke
Ouch, i came off better than the bike did i have to say. Just the usual road rash and aches and pains.

I broke the top tube, similar to your photos, but the forks were untouched. Loved that bike. It really did fly!

Now have a Boardman Air 9.8 to replace the R872. Will post some pics up soon. It's real fast on rolling terrain and descends at silly speeds, it can be a bit twitchy on the front end but nothing worrying. The R872 climbed marginally better as it was overall a bit stiffer.

Hope you heal well mate, oh and the bike looked very sweet pre crash. Very stealthy!

Be interested to know what bike you end up going for and how it compares to the R872.

Retroglide08

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Am seriously considering getting a R872 also. Have come to the conclusion that a Medium is the best size frame. One question, it's been An age since I owned a road bike and can't remember what size stem I was running. Any tips with regards to guesstimating a stem length?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Am seriously considering getting a R872 also. Have come to the conclusion that a Medium is the best size frame. One question, it's been An age since I owned a road bike and can't remember what size stem I was running. Any tips with regards to guesstimating a stem length?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Might be worth contacting Ribble first to make sure you get the correct size. Generically speaking most people can start at 100mm stem and go from there. You can come and go 10-20mm without affecting how the bike handles and feels.

Be sure you get the correct size to begin with and then any adjustments afterwards should be miniscule. :okay:

kangars

Regular
Unfortunately i got knocked off, however frame looks perfectly fine but im too scared to ride it again. Tempted to set it up for turbo trainer and get another R872. Loved it :sad:, shame they dont sell frames separately!

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Sorry to here that @kangars

Ribble did sell the R872 frame separate. Have they stopped this recently? Seems odd.

If the bike seems fine then it most likely is. Though for piece of mind why not pop it in to the LBS to get it checked over.

kangars

Regular
Its not too bad since it was drivers fault and i had insurance :smile:

Thats the first thing i checked but they dont seem to do R872 on its own. I did take it to LBS but they basically said what i was thinking, there is no visible damage, but could be some hidden structural damage

eqly

Hello All,

A newbie here. I am in the U.S. and have been drooling over the R782 for the last few months. I am glad I stumbled onto this discussion. Seems like most if not all on here are not from the U.S. I may be wrong, but can someone chime in if they have ordered a R872 sent to U.S. and share what their experience is? I am hesitant since there is no recourse or local authorized service from Ribble if somethng goes wrong. Also, can you comment if there are any customs/duty fees with such a high priced online order. Thanks in advance for your info.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi @eqly & :welcome:

I would guess that 99% of members here are British, although we have members from Canada, the USA, Australia, NZ etc.

I am sorry but I can't help with your customs/duty question.

What I can tell you is that it is a great frame, if a little long in the tooth in design terms, it has been around a while. Nevertheless it is also the same frame as used by De Rosa on one of their models & it is fairly lightweight, using Toray (Torayca) T700 grade carbon.

Some Brits have had issues with customer service, email response times, difficulty getting answered on the phone etc, but others have had great service.

Recently Ribble started to do the R872 as a frame & fork option again rather than just complete bikes & this might be a better option for you as component prices in the U.K are invariably higher than those in the US.

Dont forget if going down the frame & fork route that they are listed separately.

Enjoy your cycling.

Top Bottom