Ribble R872 (Stealth 2012) **REVIEW**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

George Hotopan

I'm delighted to be able to tell a positive story...

Great customer service from Ribble in resolving this issue - once they agreed that the scuffs were indeed real scuffs they were very happy to exchange the frame. At my own request I went over to the factory this morning, dropped the bike off at 9am and at 1pm I'd collected the replacement, all fully set up and ready to go.

Very friendly and non-obstructive people working on the team - overall I'm delighted with how this was handled.

Now I can not wait to get out on that baby! :-)

Once more, if anyone had doubts, Ribble proves their great post customer service!

kangars

Regular
Hi, new on here! Ordered one the other day with 105! Cant wait!

Ribble customer service has been good so far, emailed them in the afternoon and had reply next morning.

looxuser

Hi there, i've just got myself a Ribble Stealth V1 frame and need some help if anyone would be so kind....

The bike is naked and I'm starting from scratch having not built a bike in years.

Some questions:-

1. the whole bottom bracket thing is confusing. I'm an engineer so can figure out I need a bottom bracket but what size would I use. I assume there are two types; 1. Where the crank is complete with a shaft and you install the BB which has internal bearing and use a special tool to tighten 2. The BB has a shaft running through it with a square taper either end on to which you press a suitable crank and tighten it on. Can you please advise on what would be best , what thread i need to get etc.
2. The stealth has a bracket for the front deraillier, but i'm only familiar with a clamp on tube type. Again what should I go for here?

All the rest seems fine.

Thanks, Andy

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Hi Andy,

Bottom bracket adaptor is completely dependent on what chainset you will be using - thus determining the bottom bracket type. The bottom bracket on the Stealth is BB30 so would require an adaptor for Shimano for example.

The bracket for the front derailleur requires a braze on front mech. Such as this.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
RIP Pedro's Stealth..........

Came off last week after a blowout slipped the back end out and my left foot unclipped, whilst out the saddle. Much skin lost and multiple bruises but the knock out blow was the large crack along the top of the top tube.

I mourned for an appropriate period and then ordered a Boardman air 9.8 frame. Well you would wouldn't you?

Should have it built and ready for next week. I'm still an R872/Stealth rider at heart though. ;)

Mo1959

Legendary Member

Came off last week after a blowout slipped the back end out and my left foot unclipped, whilst out the saddle. Much skin lost and multiple bruises but the knock out blow was the large crack along the top of the top tube.

I mourned for an appropriate period and then ordered a Boardman air 9.8 frame. Well you would wouldn't you?

Should have it built and ready for next week. I'm still an R872/Stealth rider at heart though. ;)
Oooooft......just noticed this. Glad you're relatively ok. Have fun building your new bike :okay:

jack smith

Veteran

Nice frame to replace it with though!!

simon.r

Person
... the knock out blow was the large crack along the top of the top tube.

Hmm, thinking out loud, is that a reason not to buy carbon? I wonder how a steel or Ti frame would have fared in a similar crash? I guess to some extent you've had your use out of this frame, but if it had happened a week after you'd bought it I guess the mourning period may have been longer!

Glad to hear you weren't too badly hurt.

Lpoolck

Veteran
I am thinking of getting the R872 what is the ride quality like? It seems pretty aggressive so I would have thought it may be uncomfortable over longer rides (plus 40 miles), is this correct?

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
I am thinking of getting the R872 what is the ride quality like? It seems pretty aggressive so I would have thought it may be uncomfortable over longer rides (plus 40 miles), is this correct?
The frame isn't so stiff as to make things uncomfortable over distance. It is stiff - in a good way - but wheels, tyres (and pressure), bars and saddle type will have a much bigger impact on comfort.

I've ridden the bike on many 100+ mile rides and not thought it any less comfortable than my other bikes. Would recommend. Hard to see better for the £££.

Top Bottom