Ribble R872 (Stealth 2012) **REVIEW**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafaldygus

Regular
lucky you Craig, I contacted Ribble today, exchange a few emails with them and got nowhere. No housing, no help. It isn't a real problem now but probably will when will have to change the cable. Without the hosuing it will be a nightmare. Will try my LBS, maybe they have something.

r872-Craig

Regular
You won't have any problem changing the cable the tube inside the frame isn't a lot larger than the straw so the cable has no problem in routing.
When I phoned them and told them that the straw was missing they offered to have the bike sent back to them or for my lbs to rectify at their cost. Maybe speak to a manager.

George Hotopan

Hello everyone:

I wanted to ask if any of you has the issue of creaking noise. The creaking appeared after about 100 miles. I will explain: it happens to me only when I am out of the saddle while climbing a steep section and probably exerting more force to the pedal. I have the following bb30 adaptor cups: http://www.maxssystem.com/catalogo.php?fam=139.

My LBS who installed them, and by the way which in my opinion is doing a great job (so I would exclude for now improper install, etc...) already unmounted the crank, re-greased the bearings, put them back and re-torqued to the specified Shimano specs(I have an 105 triple crank). In the installation process the only maybe a bit weird thing he did was to install the cups using a small rubberized head hammer instead of a pressfit headset. On my first ride after re-greasing and re-installing the crank, no creaks. On my second one they started to come back. Imagine that the crick is one per spindle revolution, just one. Also, when I am not cycling if I stand on one side of the bike and apply moderate pressure with my toes on the pedal (with the pedal at 6 o clock) with the bike slightly tilted it also creaks. If I do it once more on the same side nothing happens. If I move on the other side and repeat the process the creak is there, and so on if I move back the the other pedal....

By the way I can already eliminate some possible causes: pedals are fine (Look S track), chainbolts well tight, seat stem well tight to specs. I have read that even though you may hear the sound on the BB region as the frame is carbon the sound may well be coming from other side, but I believe it's BB related. I am thinking of buying the praxis BB30 converter. I saw that Pedro was using it. Any updates Pedro on the Praxis adaptor? Any issues related with creaking? Does any one else use the Praxis BB30 converter?

Before going back to my LBS, do you have any idea of what might bebe the issue? Any help, idea or opinion is warmly appreciated, as it is an issue that is disturbing me a lot from enjoying my rides. Thanks!

PS: I said I will put some pictures with my bike and I will as soon as the creaking 'nightmare' is over.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
@George Hotopan

It sounds like it is the rubber BB30 adaptors. I put in a good bit of research and discovered that some adaptors can squeak and creak all day long after fitting, no matter how they are fitted. I opted for the Praxisworks as it is threaded hence eliminating the need for any rubbers or similar which might creak.

Here are some examples to give you an idea:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12917620&p=18272126

This one has the guy from Praxis works chiming in:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98394

The Praxis eliminates the BB30 entirely and uses it's own bearings.

http://praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

There are others from KCNC, Wheels and FSA but i have not tried any of them.

George Hotopan

Thanks a lot Pedro!

I have just ordered the Praxis BB30 68mm from cyclingcomponents in UK. When it arrives I will ask my LBS to mount it for me as I don't have a press fit tool. By the way, did you use a press fit tool or did you do it differently?

What do you mean exactly by rubber BB30 adapters. They are machined aluminium cups the ones I have. No rubber from what I can tell...

I will keep you posted on the topic and as soon as I have the Praxis BB30 converter mounted I will make the R872 some decent pictures :biggrin:

Cheers,

George.

@George Hotopan

It sounds like it is the rubber BB30 adaptors. I put in a good bit of research and discovered that some adaptors can squeak and creak all day long after fitting, no matter how they are fitted. I opted for the Praxisworks as it is threaded hence eliminating the need for any rubbers or similar which might creak.

Here are some examples to give you an idea:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12917620&p=18272126

This one has the guy from Praxis works chiming in:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98394

The Praxis eliminates the BB30 entirely and uses it's own bearings.

http://praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

There are others from KCNC, Wheels and FSA but i have not tried any of them.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Sorry to butt in guys/girls/others.

Is it me that just doesn’t understand the whole Shimano deal regards BB30 ?

Shimano needs BB adapters to fit to a BB30 bottom bracket - right ? Or wrong ??

Does this kinda nullify the advantage of a large BB30 bottom bracket shell area in any way ?

If so then why do Shimano persist with their way ?

I ask because - I am planning on buying a Cube with Shimano 105 full group, but have a bike already with full Sram Force

Do I run the Shimano group into the ground & then Switch back to Sram or are the effects negligible ??

Cheers Ears.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Thanks a lot Pedro!

I have just ordered the Praxis BB30 68mm from cyclingcomponents in UK. When it arrives I will ask my LBS to mount it for me as I don't have a press fit tool. By the way, did you use a press fit tool or did you do it differently?

What do you mean exactly by rubber BB30 adapters. They are machined aluminium cups the ones I have. No rubber from what I can tell...

I will keep you posted on the topic and as soon as I have the Praxis BB30 converter mounted I will make the R872 some decent pictures :biggrin:

Cheers,

George.

Hi George,

Yeh i press fitted one side which then allows you to thread the other side up to the desired torque. Completely reversible and no frightening talk of locktite!

I was under the impression that your BB adaptors had a hard rubber washer. But because there isn't any tightening then they can move ever so slightly under load, even working loose in some occasions. I believe this has been reported with the Wheels and FSA efforts.

Pics sound good. :thumbsup:

George Hotopan

Hi Pedro:

Thank you for the information. Pics will be posted hopefully in the weekend if the weather agrees :smile:

By the way, in the install process, I saw that Praxis suggests that the non-drive cup is press fitted until the O rubber ring barely touches the bottom bracket. How far in should the non drive cup be pressed with respect to the position of the O ring? Did you do that also and why? Doesn't this increase the chances of leaving a very small gap that in time might cause the bracket adaptor to slightly become loose? Or maybe I don't fully understand the advice of Praxis:
Point 3 in the instructions manual:
"3. With a press tool, GENTLY press Non-Drive cup into Non-Drive side of frame so the O-ring just BARELY touches the side of frame. DO NOT COMPRESS O-RING"

Many thanks,

George.

Hi George,

Yeh i press fitted one side which then allows you to thread the other side up to the desired torque. Completely reversible and no frightening talk of locktite!

I was under the impression that your BB adaptors had a hard rubber washer. But because there isn't any tightening then they can move ever so slightly under load, even working loose in some occasions. I believe this has been reported with the Wheels and FSA efforts.

Pics sound good. :thumbsup:

George Hotopan

Hi everyone:

Here come my promised photos of this amazing bike. I've put some 800km on it and it runs as smooth as butter.
Specs:

Ribble R872: 50 size
Wheels: Mavic Aksium with Conti Grand Prix 4000S tyres
Groupset: Shimano 105
Handlebar: PRO PLT 42 cm size
Stem: Pro PLT Comp 100mm
Seatpost: PRO Stealth EVO
Saddle: FIzik Kurve Bull
Pedals: Look S Track Race

Current weight: 8.2 kg

Attachments

• _DSC6221.jpg