Ribble R872 (Stealth 2012) **REVIEW**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
just seen this de rosa on wiggle. looks very like an r872 frameset, and with only veloce for over £2k. how good a machine based on an r872 could you get for that?

i paid a lot less than that for what looks like an identical frame with superior components and wheels…

R838-Veloce-2014-3498-0101.jpg

r872-Craig

Regular
The R872 is "supposed to be" (internet rumors) and all that, out of the same mould as the de rosa if you look at the geometry specs they are pretty much identical! At the time i was looking the only difference was that the de rosa had external cable routing it seems now that the 2014 version has gone internal!

r872 veloce.jpg

Potentially a big saving!

David Allen

Quick question on this... just ordered an R872 through the Rib bike builder - could not be happier with the product as a whole, and the bike arrived 7 days from order date. But the fusspot in me is having a hard time with the fact that the frame out of the box has some scuff marks here and there - is this just standard for this frame and finish or should I be daring to pit my wits against Ribble's notorious "amazing" customer service? There's a part of me figures there is no issue with the function of the bike at all, so I should just get over it. But ya know - it's a lot of money!

David Allen

20140525_145605.jpg

Hopefully this will work. Using my phone!

Have awoken to glorious sunshine and just want to head out for a ride but don't want to compromise my gripe with the condition of the frame.

Or do I just need to get a grip???

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i wouldn't be happy with that.

just check it's not oil or similar before making a fuss; oil, lube or energy drink on the matt finish can look like that but are easily cleaned off…

David Allen

i wouldn't be happy with that.

just check it's not oil or similar before making a fuss; oil, lube or energy drink on the matt finish can look like that but are easily cleaned off…

I've rubbed it with a cloth/warm soapy water and it hasn't made any difference. There were a lot of other smudges and general detritus all over the frame, but this is definitely from rubbing. It has definitely happened before being removed from the packaging; I did notice it right away but casually figured it would rub off. Installed bars, saddle and pedals and only when giving the bike a wee rub down did I notice it wasn't budging.

Have spoken to Ribble this morning and forwarded this photograph; I await their response................

r872-Craig

Regular
FYI My r872 was 100% no marks or anything, I am very particular about things being right and looked over the bike in great detail when it arrived.
If it were me i would not be accepting that, on the whether you should be riding it i think only ribble can answer that for you.

David Allen

I'm delighted to be able to tell a positive story...

Great customer service from Ribble in resolving this issue - once they agreed that the scuffs were indeed real scuffs they were very happy to exchange the frame. At my own request I went over to the factory this morning, dropped the bike off at 9am and at 1pm I'd collected the replacement, all fully set up and ready to go.

Very friendly and non-obstructive people working on the team - overall I'm delighted with how this was handled.

Now I can not wait to get out on that baby! :-)

Top Bottom