Ribble R872 (Stealth 2012) **REVIEW**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
not much of a big thing, but for some reason mud seems not to stick to the 872 as strongly as my alu-framed bike. a quick hose down gets the frame 95% clean.

i'd have thought the matt finish would be more of a mud collector, but obviously not…

I have found this too. Quick hose down seems to remove most mud/dirt whereas it's a real chore to clean my steel framed bikes.

Good choice Rafaldygus, one you won't regret I'm sure. Once you get over the comments of others with Ribble prejudice you will have a blast riding it as I do with mine.

rafaldygus

Regular
Thanks Camcycle1974, can not wait for the delivery, spoke to Ribble today and was told that should get it in the first week of Jan 2014. I read a lot of bad things about Ribble customer service but my experience with them has been nothing else but great.

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Just wondering - @ 5-11' & 33' in seam what size frame did u get (may not have spotted this in the thread).
I ask as I am 6-0 dead on with 33' in seam (shorter legs/long torso shape) & I find the frame sizes @ Ribble for R872 puzzling ! Largest frame being a 54 I think ?
Nice bike & would do it myself (although get a good frame builder on the job) as my spannering is not the greatest.

George Hotopan

Hello everyone:

Happy New Year and a wonderful 2014! I am the proud owner of a Ribble R872. I bought just the frameset 1 week ago (it arrived on Christmas eve!!!) and build the bike from scratch. I am very content with the bike, as it outperforms my initial expectations. The finish is just spectacular, with that stealth black.

I have one issue though: it is related with the internal cable brake. When acting the rear brake lever I can hear a sound like the cable is rubbing inside the frame. I have the cable ferrules installed at both ends of the top tube guide and my only supposition is that maybe the cable is rubbing somewhere inside along the internal guiding. I want to mention also that this part of the top tube was the only one that didn't came with any internal cable housing (the routing for the front and rear mech came with preinstalled internal housings, so no problem there). Could it then be that the friction sound I hear is due to the lack of internal housing? Did any of you encountered this same issue? How did you solve it? I want to mention as well the the angle at which the cable enters and exists the top tube is more or less a straight angle (horizontal) so I would eliminate the idea of tilted in/out angle.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated! Many thanks and happy holidays!

Comment: I just saw that this was previously discussed on page 5 between Pedro and Craig. I will try and install then an internal sleeve for the rear brake cable and hopefully the sound will dissapear. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:

George Hotopan

Hello everyone:

I have one issue though: it is related with the internal cable brake. When acting the rear brake lever I can hear a sound like the cable is rubbing inside the frame. I have the cable ferrules installed at both ends of the top tube guide and my only supposition is that maybe the cable is rubbing somewhere inside along the internal guiding. I want to mention also that this part of the top tube was the only one that didn't came with any internal cable housing (the routing for the front and rear mech came with preinstalled internal housings, so no problem there). Could it then be that the friction sound I hear is due to the lack of internal housing? Did any of you encountered this same issue? How did you solve it? I want to mention as well the the angle at which the cable enters and exists the top tube is more or less a straight angle (horizontal) so I would eliminate the idea of tilted in/out angle.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated! Many thanks and happy holidays!

Issue solved:

Added an internal cable housing of same length as the internal separation between the in and out of the top tube insets and voila, everything was solved, noise has disappeared. Soon I will post some photos of my new Ribble R872!!!

Cheers!!!

rafaldygus

Regular
Morning everyone, couldn't stop myslef from letting you know that the bike has arrived today at 7.30am and I am itching to take it out. At first glance it looks stunning, much better than on the photos, very modern and matt black colour is amazing. The plan for today is finish it after work and possibly take for a short ride and also post a few pictures.

rafaldygus

Regular
Straw came this afternoon, fitted it and it is now smooth as it should be.
Cant wait to go out on it again as its a bit quicker than my mountain bike! First ride last weekend managed to knock a good 10mins off my regular 1h37 25mile.
where did you get the straw? in my r872 cable is rubbing too. Did you ring Ribble?
As promised uploaded some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_00000024.jpg
    IMG_00000024.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_00000026.jpg
    IMG_00000026.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 167

rafaldygus

Regular
Not sure what to do now with the rubbing. Ribble has said that there is a sleeve inside the tube that cable runs through and I wouldn't fit anything else in there. They advised to use lubricant.

Last edited:

George Hotopan

Not sure what to do now with the rubbing. Ribble has said that there is a sleeve inside the tube that cable runs through and I wouldn't fit anything else in there. They advised to use lubricant.

Hi there:

I had the same rubbing problem of the rear brake cable. I solved it by installing along that specific sleeve a cable housing. Trust me, a small fiameter cable housing fits easily. Careful that the cable housing you may have been provided by Ribble fits only shifter cables(at least in my case). So I had to go to my LBS and ask for a wider diameter cable housing, but that should be small enough to enter the sleeve. I don't think you should have a problem in finding the right one. And it was a solver in my case, no more rubbing sound and the brake lever actually feels smoother.

Cheers!

PS: I will soon come back with some photos when time around here gets better. And great bike you have!!!

rafaldygus

Regular
Finally took the R for a spin, did 30 miles today and can say that is a cracking bike, agile, responsive, light yet stiff and comfortable. Rough surfaces, potholes or bumps are very well absorbed, if only had more comfortable saddle I would extremely satisfied rider. Conclusion, bike is fast and very comfortable and I need a new saddle.

Top Bottom