Ribble R872 (Stealth 2012) **REVIEW**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
I took the plunge and bought an R872 frame and forks for a self build. There's no denying that it looks very nice. Matt black is not my favourite finish but this looks quite smart. I started out with the purpose of creating a light bike (6.8kg to be exact) and chose Mavic Kyserium Elites, SRAM Force 22 and various 3T components with a super light saddle. But, when building the bike it gives you a chance for a much closer look at the frame and I started to see problems from the start.
There were aluminium shavings snagged in the bottom bracket and the general finish around this area was really poor with the powder coating (or whatever the paint was) very messy. The bottom bracket plate used to access the internal cable housing and drain water had issues with the screw fixings. They simply spun in their holes with no 'bite' at all.
I then noticed the rear wheel was off centre. I removed it and refitted thinking it was just a skewer fit problem but time and again I tried it would not centre. Measured at 3.6mm difference from one side to the other at the brake callipers but the base of the wheel near to the bottom bracket was dead centre!
That aside it does ride well. Quick and very easy on my regular climbs. I chose a 52.5 frame which I was told was ok for a 5'11" but I find it a little stretched but still fine. I think I could easily have come down a size.
But the finish quality of the frame really worries me for it's future and I hope that Ribble will respond to my emails and give me some kind of decent resolution as I really want to get out and ride it but can't incase it needs to go back.
Bummer that you are not having a good experience with this. Do you have any pics?

My only negative thought might be that because you have built the bike and used it they may not be too keen to have the frame and/or forks returned. Just a thought but hopefully i'm wrong.

Kepp us posted with how you get on. Some on here think little of Ribble's customer service and others have had no problems at all.

Leodis

Veteran
Arrrrgghhhhh missing Di2 rubber plug thingy... Chances Ribble with have one?

Mike Watson

Bummer that you are not having a good experience with this. Do you have any pics?

My only negative thought might be that because you have built the bike and used it they may not be too keen to have the frame and/or forks returned. Just a thought but hopefully i'm wrong.

Kepp us posted with how you get on. Some on here think little of Ribble's customer service and others have had no problems at all.

I have no issue with their customer service. I emailed them and a few days later they offered to take the frame back with everything still fitted, replace the frame and rebuild it even though they had nothing to do with the components. I can't fault that level of service. But it took me a while to get the bike perfect and I'm reluctant to send it to them. I've told them that I will fix the problems.

I'm getting some pics together and will post a thread on the build.

It's a light bike at 6.5kg and having ridden it today round the wonderful Cornish hills where I live I can say it pulls like a mule up these slopes, but sadly she descends like a brick! I suppose that's the trade-off. Super light and climb like a demon or add a few pounds and descend like a pro! (I wish) I can go about 8 mph faster down the local hills on my commuting bike which is a hefty beast.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
I have no issue with their customer service. I emailed them and a few days later they offered to take the frame back with everything still fitted, replace the frame and rebuild it even though they had nothing to do with the components. I can't fault that level of service. But it took me a while to get the bike perfect and I'm reluctant to send it to them. I've told them that I will fix the problems.

I'm getting some pics together and will post a thread on the build.

It's a light bike at 6.5kg and having ridden it today round the wonderful Cornish hills where I live I can say it pulls like a mule up these slopes, but sadly she descends like a brick! I suppose that's the trade-off. Super light and climb like a demon or add a few pounds and descend like a pro! (I wish) I can go about 8 mph faster down the local hills on my commuting bike which is a hefty beast.
Can't fault that at all. I have always found them very helpful but i am aware that others view it differently. This though may be a thing of the past, hopefully.

My build came in at 7kg and seem to get a nice even distribution on descents. Not too twitchy and plenty fast - heavier bikes will always descend quicker though, heavier riders too.

Look forward to the build pics etc.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a far from perfect comparison test, but it won the gadget show test

rafaldygus

Regular
Hi guys,
I am new to the forum but I have been following your discussion for some time now and it helped to make a decision of what bike I want. So I went ahead with the r872 and now just eagerly awaiting delivery. The R872 has beaten the likes of Mekk, Lapierre. Basso, BMC and Bianchi. Pricewise and kitwise, Ribble was much better option as I went for full Athena gruppo with carbon brake levers, Scirocco wheels, ITM Triango stem, handlebars and seatpost.

Top Bottom