Ribble R872 (Stealth 2012) **REVIEW**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulw77

Über Member
Saw one of these in the flesh at Ribble today and pictures really don't do it justice.

If I ever get a new bike my heart would say R872 but my head would say Gran Fondo or Sportive Racing.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise of course ! :smile:

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Thank you for this review.
I have already purchased this frame & forks and my LBS is swapping bits over from my Boardman Team for me...
I was wondering if I'd done the right thing or should I have stuck with what I had, but thanks to your review, I now feel confident I've made the right choice, can't wait for it to be finished now!!!
How's the bike coming along?

Nut E1

It is finally all done...
I was going to reply and give my opinion, but due to the weather it is still stuck in my shed unridden...
It looks good, even with all the Boardman parts on it that will eventually get upgraded.
The matt finish does seem to attract fingerprint marks.
My LBS couldn't get the BB30 out so fitted a 105 chain set, which goes with the rest of the group set, so isn't too bad.
I've got the BB30 out of the Boardman frame today and spent £30.00 on a new set of bearings and ruined them trying to seat them without the correct tool!!! New bearings and tool on order now...
The next thing is a new set of wheels, I was looking at the Campagnolo Scirocco 35, but would like something a bit lighter, but not for much more money...

All I know is i cant wait for a dry day to get out...

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
A match made in heaven!! ^_^

Nut E1

So, after my spin today, I can confirm that the R872 rides really well and was a great investment.
(I can only compare this with my previous Boardman Team and a mountain bike...)
First thing i noticed is how smooth it is, either Essex Council have resurfaced all the roads round here in my month off a bike or this thing soaks up the bumps... I'm guessing the latter...
Handling wise, sharp as a sharp thing that steers well??? What I mean is that if there is a pothole coming at you that is coming at you fast, a little move of the bars and its dodged, but its not unstable, more controllable, i noticed this when sitting up and going no-handed, on my Boardman I had to peddle franticly to stop wobbling all over the place, on the R872 though, straight as an arrow at the slowest speed, which is good as my back goes after about 25-30 miles hunched over.
I can't comment on much else as all the other bits are from my Boardman - wheels, bars, seat post, group set, etc, but will gradually change all the bits and re-build the Boardman.
The chainset is the only other bit that is new as my LBS couldn't get the BB30 out (even though I got it out in 2 minutes) it's a 105 in silver, works well but looking at the photo, i should have gone for the black instead and also possibly a compact, but at least I can ride it...
All in all it's a great frame set and would recommend it to anyone as new or upgrading...

Feel free to comment as all feedback is welcome and will help with choices in future upgrades and changes.

r872.jpg

Also apologies to Pedrosanchezo for highjacking his thread...

Edit... I would like to say that the customer service i received from Ribble was great, I phoned up with a few questions and the guy who answered was very helpful even on the basic newby items...
I have read other comments, even on here stating that the bike wasn't set up properly, brakes, cables etc not aligned. Sorry, but if i had a bike sent in the post to me, I would check everything before going out.
My LBS sorted my bike out for me and has a lot more knowledge and i still checked everything beforehand...

Also, if i had a choice, i would do the bike myself, just for the experience...

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
So, after my spin today, I can confirm that the R872 rides really well and was a great investment.
(I can only compare this with my previous Boardman Team and a mountain bike...)
First thing i noticed is how smooth it is, either Essex Council have resurfaced all the roads round here in my month off a bike or this thing soaks up the bumps... I'm guessing the latter...
Handling wise, sharp as a sharp thing that steers well??? What I mean is that if there is a pothole coming at you that is coming at you fast, a little move of the bars and its dodged, but its not unstable, more controllable, i noticed this when sitting up and going no-handed, on my Boardman I had to peddle franticly to stop wobbling all over the place, on the R872 though, straight as an arrow at the slowest speed, which is good as my back goes after about 25-30 miles hunched over.
I can't comment on much else as all the other bits are from my Boardman - wheels, bars, seat post, group set, etc, but will gradually change all the bits and re-build the Boardman.
The chainset is the only other bit that is new as my LBS couldn't get the BB30 out (even though I got it out in 2 minutes) it's a 105 in silver, works well but looking at the photo, i should have gone for the black instead and also possibly a compact, but at least I can ride it...
All in all it's a great frame set and would recommend it to anyone as new or upgrading...

Feel free to comment as all feedback is welcome and will help with choices in future upgrades and changes.

r872.jpg

Also apologies to Pedrosanchezo for highjacking his thread...

Edit... I would like to say that the customer service i received from Ribble was great, I phoned up with a few questions and the guy who answered was very helpful even on the basic newby items...
I have read other comments, even on here stating that the bike wasn't set up properly, brakes, cables etc not aligned. Sorry, but if i had a bike sent in the post to me, I would check everything before going out.
My LBS sorted my bike out for me and has a lot more knowledge and i still checked everything beforehand...

Also, if i had a choice, i would do the bike myself, just for the experience...
Great news that you are happy with it! It looks fantastic! Nice touch with the white saddle and bar tape. :thumbsup:
Next time you take a photo though i am going to need to see the chain in the big dog (see the rules #26). :laugh:

Nice write up and don't worry the thread is for anyone interested in the R872. Post as much as you like.

Sweet ride!

Top Bottom