Ribble R872 (Stealth 2012) **REVIEW**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buckolfc

If we're talking stealth can I show off my new toy?:

View attachment 22180

I'm trying to decide whether to de-sticker the wheels or not?

Simon.r,

I have ordered the RT 58, just waiting on PX to take delivery of the frames. How are you finding the bike??
How does it ride? What were you previous bikes? How does this compare?? etc....

Not many reviews of this bike out there at the moment. Does look great I have to say.

I do like the wheels as they are by the way.

Thanks.

simon.r

Person
Simon.r,

I have ordered the RT 58, just waiting on PX to take delivery of the frames. How are you finding the bike??
How does it ride? What were you previous bikes? How does this compare?? etc....

Not many reviews of this bike out there at the moment. Does look great I have to say.

I do like the wheels as they are by the way.

Thanks.

I've got a few hundred miles on the bike and I'm liking it a lot. I'm an On-One / Planet X fan, so I'm probably biased, but the bike is a joy to ride.

My background is MTB, moving seriously to road bikes in the last year or two, so I can't offer an opinion based on having ridden lots of comparable bikes. My previous road bike (still in use for wet days) was a Charge Juicer, so I'm not comparing like with like, but the RT58 had made me faster by about 2 mph on average. That may partly be down to the weight of the bike. The SRAM stuff works very well. I've always had Shimano groupsets, but I can't fault the gear-changing - at first I though it was a bit agricultural, but having got used to it I now think it's 'solid'. Difficult to describe really, but I'm impressed. The brakes (I went for the Planet X calipers) are astonishingly good, comparable to XTR V brakes I'd say.

It just feels 'right' to me - it certainly handles very well, feels very steady in fast, sweeping bends and is very flickable in traffic. Actually, let me elaborate on that - it has the flickability of the Macinato with the sure-footedness of the Pompino - it really is very very good. I've changed the tyres, but that's just me wanting to maximise the weight advantage.

The only negative I've found is that the internal cables rattle on rough roads. I need to experiment with stuffing some bubble wrap or similar in the down tube!

The bottom line is that I don't regret buying it^_^

Steven Mitchell

Hello,

A question for the people that have built R872 from Ribble, I'm about to buy the Frame and Forks do you also have to buy the headset and expansion bung separately? I've contacted Ribble but not heard from the yet, and a question to Pedrosanchezo now that you've had the r872 a little longer has your opinion of it changed? and hows the praxis bb30 conversion holding up?

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Hello,

A question for the people that have built R872 from Ribble, I'm about to buy the Frame and Forks do you also have to buy the headset and expansion bung separately? I've contacted Ribble but not heard from the yet, and a question to Pedrosanchezo now that you've had the r872 a little longer has your opinion of it changed? and hows the praxis bb30 conversion holding up?

If memory serves me correct the Stealth frame and forks come with headset already press fitted to the steerer tube. You will only need a top cap bung to finish it off. Ribble do a standard black one which is ideal.
Still love the R872 very much. On one of our club rides a Bianchi owner was drooling over it. Odd i thought considering he was riding an £6000 bike. ;)
Value for money i think it's one of the best around. Looks great and performs effortlessly.
The praxis seems to be doing it's job well. Nothing much to report here except that it is causing no problems and doing as it should. Also happy with it.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I have had my grubby little paws over a R872 this week and its a blooming good bike, when your discussing bikes in this price range the statement usually ends with "for the price" but no such comment or justification is needed, it is simply a good bike. I have been fitting a modified Di2 to it and the fit has been pretty straight forward, some prestige bike brands could learn a lot from this bike in terms of Di2 fitting and routing.. Really impressed with it and I would be very happy to have one in my collection.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It's meant to be Andrew! You know you want to. What else are credit cards for? :evil:

Alas the old Dura Ace that has been threatening to crap out on my Ribble Audax frame has karked it, so at the moment I am down to just a singlespeed!

However, if I manage to gain maybe ten new clients in the next week this bike will be quite accessible :smile:

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Alas the old Dura Ace that has been threatening to crap out on my Ribble Audax frame has karked it, so at the moment I am down to just a singlespeed!

However, if I manage to gain maybe ten new clients in the next week this bike will be quite accessible :smile:
Wouldn't it be more exciting to buy it now and see if you get 10 new clients? It would make next week very interesting. :evil:

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Do it... Mine is on order... can...not... wait...

ps. Pedro, are you using a chain stay protector or just the cable rub thingy/tape
I am using black electrical tape on to stop cable rub and to protect certain areas. It works perfect as it is naturally Matte and one roll will last a LONG time. It also doesn't show up much. It is in place on several sections in the photos. Cut it neat and barely see it again.

Leodis

Veteran
I am using black electrical tape on to stop cable rub and to protect certain areas. It works perfect as it is naturally Matte and one roll will last a LONG time. It also doesn't show up much. It is in place on several sections in the photos. Cut it neat and barely see it again.

Thanks, will use that then. Other than cable rub where else did you use it? Sorry noob roadie

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Thanks, will use that then. Other than cable rub where else did you use it? Sorry noob roadie
I actually use it on the inside end of bar tape. I always find the little strip that they supply with the tape to be grossly insufficient.
Same with the optional TT bars that i use now and then. I also tape the back of the carbon seat post as i fix a can of tub sealant there (in case of a tubular tyre puncture).

I swear black tape has so many uses. Just be sure to cut it nicely rather than rip it.

Top Bottom