Ribble Reynolds 653 Retro Mod Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
@Hugh Jampton was offering a frame FOC so grabbed it, it will suit my sort of build.

My plans are 105 1055 7 Speed groupset, with a lovely Nervar crankset and Sora 2x7 Brifters, wheelset will be 105 1055 hubs with Mavic open pro rims. Bars, seat stem and saddle will all be modern so a sort of retro mod, which I really like building.

That should look great

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Best find was the Sora 2x7 brifters very rare and impossible to find in good condition, mine are mint.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I did a little bit this afternoon, cleaned up the RX100 calipers with degreaser and wire wool, they've come up well for only £13.

Built up the wheelset. The wheels are really clean with just some minor wear on the anodised rims, They're early 1990's Mavic Open 4CD on 105 1055 rims, I fitted Schwalbe Lugano 23c tan wall tyres (£12 brand new off eBay for the pair!) and a Shimano Hyperglide 7 speed cassette, so all ready to go.

As usual I'm just waiting for one part to arrive before I can crack on, the bottom bracket, hopefully it'll arrive in tomorrows post.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
BB arrived today but I just ran out of time, ended up clearing the leaves in the garden and playing tennis with my son, however I checked all the parts and made sure everything was prepped, cleaned and ready for the build. usually I can build up a bare frame in a couple of hours, so my plan is to start it later in the month when I have some proper free time.

If it fits me and I gel with it, my plan is to fit it with mudguards and a pannier rack and keep it as a winter bike, The only problem is that I'm running out of space in the garage, I probably need to cull a couple of bikes :stop:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I unwrapped the frame from it's bubble wrap, gave it deep clean and dealt with the chipped paintwork, especially around the dropouts.

I touched in with a pot of Humbrol gloss enamel, takes an age to dry but is a good colour match, once it's completely dry in a couple of days I will polish and detail the frame using cutting paste.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I was struggling to get the BB in earlier this week, it was super-tight, so a pal of mine re-cut the threads this morning, I will start building it up over the weekend.

B9CEAC49-B65D-4583-9534-39D313A7253C.jpeg

Top Bottom