Ribble updated some images and to me the bike looks worse.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

In the recent past I have been critical of Ribble selling bikes as Tiagra with photos that show Tiagra and then in the text saying that the chainset will be an FSA Omega. I don't have a problem with the spec only the photographs as I happen to have a matt black FSA chainset that I bought to put on the Raleigh and it looked so wrong that I never did.

Ribble have now updated at least some of the images, although the frames shown here are different, the drivetrain area is very similar and the matt black FSA gives a very different overall look to the shiny Tiagra.

1691314003852.png

1691313942401.png

Would anyone here feel differently about the bike seeing it with the FSA rather than the Tiagra chainset, considering that if you ignore the sale bikes Ribble are now charging premium brand prices? £1,100 for alu frame with CF forks/mostly Tiagra and Mavic Aksium wheels

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-al-shimano-tiagra-disc/build/
1691315868659.png

To me the look of the FSA chainset moves the bike a bit down market, although I have no idea if the change is due to cost or supply.

If you are an internet based brand then surely trust is a big issue and showing one thing and saying something else in the text would worry me that I had missed other changes. Especially as they are now specing their own brand Level1 wheels in some builds, a change from Mavic Aksiums as the entry level.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For me the Tiagra looks far better, and to me looks are very important.

I wouldn't consider the blue bike regardless of chainset. Terrible colour.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not a fan of Aksiums, so wouldn't entertain the bike anyway.

The Omega is - at typical retain prices - more expensive than the Tiagra item, so while there's an argument for saying the bike may be cosmetically affected its not really fair to say they're moving the bike down market.

Jameshow

Veteran
I'm not a fan of Aksiums, so wouldn't entertain the bike anyway.

The Omega is - at typical retain prices - more expensive than the Tiagra item, so while there's an argument for saying the bike may be cosmetically affected its not really fair to say they're moving the bike down market.

Possibly cheaper at wholesale prices why else would they do it?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It is disingenuous to sell a bike as 'Tiagra' when it patently isn’t.

However, it's not just Ribble. How many manufacturers do fit a 100% complete groupset?

FWIW imo the blue bike with black chainset looks much better than the plain jane model.

FWIW (2) £1100 is cheap for a pretty well equipped road bike so I'd expect some compromises somewhere and tbh a chainset is a chainset after all and there is nothing wrong with a bit of Full Speed Ahead on a bike. One for the gear junkies to fret over imo.

Drago

Legendary Member
Possibly cheaper at wholesale prices why else would they do it?

Availability.

Bear in mind they're only fitting drivetrains, not entire groupsets, and such individual componentry is not always as easy to source separately in katge volumes, particukarly for a smallish manufacturerthat dkesnt hwve the buying power.

FSA kit is not part of a groupset, is intended from the outset to be sold standalone and is easier to source single items in bulk.

Aside from the appearance - I agree the Tiagra looks nicer - I'd sooner have the FSA item. Chrome don't get you home.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The older versions Especially the Aksium Race were a very good entry level wheel, the newer Aksiums however are really cheap and cheerful. I had some on a BMC road bike a few years ago and was always truing them.

I've experience of them, and like many things in life they're not up to my weight. Nothing against them beyond that, they may well be fine for mortals.

Because of that, on bikes that benefit from it I spend the 💰 on DT Swiss wheels rather than rely on something that is entry level or simply good for the money. I learned quick that by the time I'd ruined two rear wheels it would have been cheaper to have bought quality in the first place.

Gunk

Guru
It is disingenuous to sell a bike as 'Tiagra' when it patently isn’t.

they all do it, about four years ago I bought a 105 BMC Team machine, however the crankset and brake calipers were Shimano non branded, so only the brifters, and front and rear mechs were actually 105, I upgraded it all to 105 in the end as it massively irritated me.

gbb

Legendary Member
Surely this has been happening for years, the key phrase I'd expect to see is Tiagra mix'

When I was buying years ago, it was often that way, a compromise mix of components. Trouble is, the same bikes with a full groupset always cost more. You pays yer money....

gbb

Legendary Member
If its any consolation, I prefer silver componentry, black does make it look a bit BSO
That said, I've had FSA Omega cranksets and they're fine barring the entry level BB design back then (BB3000 or 4000 ?) which had a plastic sleeve between the crank and bearing. As long as you could buy those sleeves, it wasn't a bit deal to change them but a poor design...but that almost certainly may no longer apply anyway

Top Bottom