Ribble?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

victoriancow11

I'm looking to buy a new road bike - all I have at the moment is a hybrid and a tourer and I want to start doing club rides. Budget £1k, although I'd rather not spend that much.
I need a triple which narrows down my options significantly. I am seriously looking at Ribble, and getting a bike with a triple 105.
Several questions:
- Is the 105 worth the extra money over the tiagra? (£120)
- What wheels should I get? I understand that the stock wheels (Rodi Airline 4 Clinchers) are worth upgrading, but I'm not sure what to. I'm thinking Fulcrum Racing 5?
- Should I get a carbon or alu frame? Should I save money by buying a alu frame (£150 cheaper, 400g heavier) and put that into the wheels/groupset?

Essentially It is a tradeoff between frame, groupset and wheels and I'm not sure what would be the best place to put the money.

Alternatively I could just buy a Trek Madone 2.1 Triple for £900. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/madone-21-h2-triple-2014-road-bike-ec041059

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Buy the frame you want. All the bits that bolt on can be replaced as they wear out, or upgraded when funds allow.

Kbrook

Veteran
I used to have a Ribble with Rodi Airlines on, never upgraded nice strong wheel IMO.

Is the 105 10 or 11 speed. If 10 i would suggest not worth the extra.

Why a triple ?if its for low gears you can get the same lower gear with a 50/34 compact and a 30/32 biggest cog at the back. If its for other reason fair enough, nothing wrong with triples, just not as much choice from whati can tell.

OP
OP
V

victoriancow11

Thanks for the replies.

I want a triple because I have arthritis and want to minimise the impact of climbs on my knees. Would the compact (34-50, 12-30) really be as easy on the knees as a 30/39/50, 12-30?
Interesting that you offer a vote in favour of the stock Rodi Airlines (were they airline 4 or airline evo?), maybe I can save there and put it all in the frame. The only reason I was talking about getting more expensive wheels is that I had heard that its much better to save weight on the wheels than the frame.

On current advice it looks like I'm being advised to stick with Tiagra and basic clinchers and put everything I can afford into the frame, which puts me well into the upper middle ribble carbon price range - I'm shooting glances at the R872 - Has anyone ridden one? Is it an especially aggressive geometry? I want a nice bike but I don't want to do my back in.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi @victoriancow11 & :welcome: to the forum.

My opinions are...FWIW

A triple is not really needed, a modern compact with an 11 or 12 to 30/32 cassette will give more than enough gearing range (even with arthritis).

I am currently under the Osteopath & Physio for back problems & use a compact 11/28.

A triple might give a more even or close spread of gears but you will also have to push that extra weight of a 3rd ring too.

Most importantly, try, try & try again for sizing as correct size will benefit more than a triple to your comfort.

I have looked at Ribble myself & those Rodi Airlines weigh about the same as their country of manufacture. This is rotating mass & will be felt more than say a heavy seat post or handlebar.

The R872 is gorgeous, but is a RACE bike, aggressive & not I suggest good for bad backs etc.

Look at their other offerings like the Sportive Azzure or Bianco etc or Planet X offerings too.

A set of Mavic Aksiums with tyres can be had for around £175 as a WTS (Wheel tyre system package) & weigh around 300/400g less than Rodi Doldrums & much better quality.

Lastly consider a bike fit session with a professional qualified fitter, this might cost but the benefits to you as a sufferer of arthritis will be well worth the money.

Happy Hunting & enjoy your cycling.

Stebo

Regular
Gutted to hear from Ribble today that my R872 on order build is pushed back to November, a whole month more, because the 48cm frame is out of stock.

Leodis

Veteran
I have the R872 with Zonda wheelset and Campy Centaur red Groupset, great bike and I love it. I found it ok on rides to 70 miles or so, guess it depends on the set up.

I was looking at the 365 but wanted 105 11s with Mavic Aksiums as a commuter/winter rider/hill climbing beast but the frame is a few years old now and the colour scheme doesnt do it for me.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
for me personally, the right gearing is paramount, I converted from double to triple (105 3x10) and it transformed the bike as I live in a very hilly area. Compact doubles are the in thing at the moment, but triples are a far superior in my opinion, giving far more choice of low gear options.

Leodis

Veteran
It depends on a lot of things really as to whether a triple is better or not. I have no need for a triple living in Yorkshire, I would love a triple in the Lakes but you just have to adapt your cassette to suit and save the day to day riding of excess weight of a triple.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I did say for me personally living in a hilly area, my 32t cassette alone would't give me the gears I need for some hills with a compact, I weigh 18st so the weight of a 3rd ring is irrelevant, I have 2 road bikes both run triples 1 is over a kilo lighter than the other and the weight makes no difference to my av speed whatsoever, but then again I don't ride to be fast so that's probably why the weight difference of the bikes doesn't affect me:cheers:

Top Bottom