Rice Creamola

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Does anyone remember this stuff? A yummy pudding with ground rice one made with milk. :idea: I think one probably will have to have spent time in Scotland to have come across it.

Thing is I haven't seen it for many a long year (having lived in the soft south for quite a while). I Googled and a brief scan revealed that it seems the factory was taken over and closed.:biggrin: So can one still get it? Is it still on the shelves in Scotland?

And then there was Creamola Foam too.............

longers

Legendary Member
Not heard of it but I made a very good rice pudding last week, I used demerarararara sugar and it was superb :idea:. Does that help?

Oh my word how can I forget it? My mum used to make it and it took hours to eat. This was because a thick skin formed on the top of it, keeping the rest of the pud just below thermo nuclear temperatures. It was practically inedible without losing the skin on the inside of your mouth...

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Kirstie said:
Oh my word how can I forget it? My mum used to make it and it took hours to eat. This was because a thick skin formed on the top of it, keeping the rest of the pud just below thermo nuclear temperatures. It was practically inedible without losing the skin on the inside of your mouth...

Yeah - my mum made it too. She managed to leave a good few lumps in it too. I remember I used to fish out the lumps and put them on the side of my plate to eat at the end.

And the skin was something else :idea:

ash68

brings back happy memories just talking abou it. It truly was the pudding of the gods. smashing with some carnation milk on the top,just to cool it a touch and make a nice skin on top. If only someone had a secret stash of it somewhere.mmmmmmmm

longers

Legendary Member
Would it be possible to re-create this by getting some pudding rice and giving it a good going over with a rolling pin and cooking as for rice pudding?

ash68 said:
brings back happy memories just talking abou it. It truly was the pudding of the gods. smashing with some carnation milk on the top,just to cool it a touch and make a nice skin on top. If only someone had a secret stash of it somewhere.mmmmmmmm

I think my mum will still have the packet she tried to feed us from in the 1980s somewhere at the back of the larder...

ash68

Kirstie said:
I think my mum will still have the packet she tried to feed us from in the 1980s somewhere at the back of the larder...

well what are we waiting for, get the cooker on and we'll all be round. I'm sure it had a long sell by date, so we'll all be finexx(

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
longers said:
Would it be possible to re-create this by getting some pudding rice and giving it a good going over with a rolling pin and cooking as for rice pudding?

I wish it were so. But alas one has to turn it yellow somehow and add some secret flavouring(s) and some sort of thickening I think.

:girl: I wonder if there is a recipe stashed away in te archives somewhere :girl:

Any one know of a Creamola Historian?

Kirstie - can you get that ageing packet from your mum? and lets get some "science" done on the contents :girl:

ash68

decided to google rice creamola and came up with this recipe here www.my.opera.com/tatepa/blog/show.dml/339199 The packet looks a bit older than I remember it, but i'm just a wee lad (39 years old)any one volenteer to try and make it? I think it's got to be worth a go , just to get the taste back in my mouth. Think I'll get all the ingredients in for this weekend.

I remember it in London growing up 1975 ish. My Step father loved it and always went on about it but could not see it myself.

Sort of cross between Custard and Semolina - but if you get onto Semolina pud that is another thing!

Is Semolina still around? Anyone remember the advert that went "Sem-o- leena Sem - leena" to the tune of Thumbelina.

I am sure you can still get deep fried Cremola in Scotland.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
ash68 said:
decided to google rice creamola and came up with this recipe here www.my.opera.com/tatepa/blog/show.dml/339199 The packet looks a bit older than I remember it, but i'm just a wee lad (39 years old)any one volenteer to try and make it? I think it's got to be worth a go , just to get the taste back in my mouth. Think I'll get all the ingredients in for this weekend.

Whoop de doo :biggrin: I'll have a go making it too sometime soon :sad: :biggrin:

Seems the Rice Creamola packet probably had the ground rice, custard powder and vanilla already in there as I remember only adding some sugar and milk. :biggrin: :biggrin:

So maybe I could make up a jar of the powder and thus have a ready supply as required :smile:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom