Ride Across Britain 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
In a bad mood today? ;) They are riding the length of the British mainland so the event name seems appropriate to me.

6 days? Seriously? Just coz they aren't carrying their own gear doesn't mean they can all average 163 miles a day, 6 days in a row. These riders aren't professionals and the country isn't all as flat as Cambridgeshire you know.

Not especially. No more than any other ;).

So the efforts of those that ride LeJog unsupported in 9 days are even more impressive.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not especially. No more than any other ;).

So the efforts of those that ride LeJog unsupported in 9 days are even more impressive.
Ahh, so just causing mischief then.:whistle:

OP
OP
Jigwar

Jigwar

Hi all,

So the trip is complete. Indeed I crossed the Lands End finishing line a little over 24 hours ago and am now having a few days recovery and relaxation down in this part of the country.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371487127.257298.jpg

Hopefully people can check out the blog and ask questions on here, but just to say it was an awesome 9 days of cycling. Some real highs in terms of sights, sounds, scenery, sunshine, support, and some real moments of digging deep on certain climbs and in some typically British weather, including rain and 30mph gusting headwinds.

I can understand the supported and organised nature of RAB is not for everyone, and the cost is high, but for anyone who is looking for such a challenge then I'd say go for it. South to North next year, and in September.

Steve

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have read your blog with great interest, as I was seriously considering do this event this year. Your blog has put me right off it, the RAB sounds like hell!

OP
OP
Jigwar

Jigwar

I have read your blog with great interest, as I was seriously considering do this event this year. Your blog has put me right off it, the RAB sounds like hell!

Might sound like hell, but a hell you want to experience to really appreciate the triumph at the end!!

Check out London Revolution for a 2 day taster of what a 9 day RAB would be like - its organised by the same Threshold team.

Steve

Gingerbloke

As a Chaperone on both the LR and the RAB, I can honestly say I have never seen so much grit and determination from so many "varied" abilities. I think Steve's blog sums up the whole event, I think the main thing that is missed is, this is supposed to be a challenge, it could easily be done Travelodge to Travelodge, but the camping and sleep deprivation all add to the "experience".
I myself was on the start line at the opening time, crossing the line close to last everyday (earliest 5pm, latest 7.30pm) and usually hitting the tent at around 11pm, but was always in breakfast by 5.30am at the latest.
Having done LEJOG solo 2 years ago, I can certainly recommend RAB, the levels of camaraderie along the way are just something to behold.

All fingers crossed, I'll be there again next year.

Simon.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
As a Chaperone on both the LR and the RAB, I can honestly say I have never seen so much grit and determination from so many "varied" abilities. I think Steve's blog sums up the whole event, I think the main thing that is missed is, this is supposed to be a challenge, it could easily be done Travelodge to Travelodge, but the camping and sleep deprivation all add to the "experience".
I myself was on the start line at the opening time, crossing the line close to last everyday (earliest 5pm, latest 7.30pm) and usually hitting the tent at around 11pm, but was always in breakfast by 5.30am at the latest.
Having done LEJOG solo 2 years ago, I can certainly recommend RAB, the levels of camaraderie along the way are just something to behold.

All fingers crossed, I'll be there again next year.

Simon.

Do you work in Mallory's in Bath by any chance?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
He's the fastest going up a lot of hills, but yes one in Kent is a particular favourite of his...!!!

Was he also a chaperone on the RAB? I met him in November in Mallorys, my wife and I turned up wet and dishevelled to look at watches and he told me he might be riding the RAB.

Top Bottom