Ride Across Britain 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jigwar

Hi all,

I've been lurking around these parts for a while now, but recently have started to get a little more focused on digesting the wealth of content on here, and to post a couple of threads/replies - mainly linked to my impending undertaking of the Ride Across Britain 2013 (www.rideacrossbritain.com)

Anyone else doing it?

I'll update this thread with a bit more about my progress towards being "ready", or you can have a read over my blogging efforts here.

Steve

Did it last year, you will have a great time. If you have any questions give me a shout

All the best
Clive

OP
OP
Jigwar

Jigwar

Would anyone like to guess when I was announced as having a place on RAB 2013? Clue in the below...!

trainingcalendar.jpg

My stats for March were:
  • Total rides: 31
  • Total distance: 373 miles
  • Total duration: 27 hours
  • Total ascent: ??
My stats for April were:
  • Total rides: 39
  • Total distance: 783 miles
  • Total duration: 54 hours
  • Total ascent: 34,890 ft

OP
OP
Jigwar

Jigwar

9 days to the off.....arrgghhhh!! ^_^
Route is up on Map My Tracks for anyone interested:​
Biggest day of 121 miles.​
Long range weather outlook is suitably ambiguous:​
"At first, it looks like it will continue unsettled, with further showers or longer spells of rain. However, there is a suggestion that northwestern parts of the UK may become somewhat drier, brighter and warmer for a time towards mid-month, with the more unsettled conditons becoming confined towards the southeast. There will still be some drier weather in the southeast too, but the majority of the wetter and windier weather will tend to be found towards this part of the UK."
Excited indeed.​
Steve​

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Good luck with it.:thumbsup: I hope you have a good time.

I see that they have selected a much easier route through my neck of the woods (Day 6) this year. A bit of climbing late in the ride but nothing like in past years.

I wouldn't bother too much about the forecast at this range as none of them are reliable beyond 3 or 4 days (sometimes not even that far ;)).

If I'm free I may come and watch the ride go by as you come through Shropshire.

OP
OP
Jigwar

Jigwar

All,

My greatest respect to anyone who has completed a JOGLE ride. Day 3 of 9 here and have completed the Highlands leg. Unbelievable scenery and cycling conditions.

Writing this from under the canvas near Glasgow. Next stop Carlisle race course, 104 miles away. Check out my blog (linked in sig) for a bit of blurb on my days out here thus far.

Steve

D

Deleted member 23692

Good going!

If you fancy a pint or two when in Carlisle to celebrate being around ½way , it's only a short walk up the road to the Black Lion (at Durdar)... they do good meals too :smile:

billy1561

BB wrecker
Excellent blog jigwar.

D

Deleted member 23692

I saw plenty of cyclists heading into Carlisle last night as I left the office. I hope you all got across the city OK, and arrived at the racecourse safely

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I am enjoying reading the blog, looking forward to some more updates. I would be interested to read a bit more about the organisation of the event, the accommodation, the food etc, if you have time.

Crankarm

Guru
Hi all,

I've been lurking around these parts for a while now, but recently have started to get a little more focused on digesting the wealth of content on here, and to post a couple of threads/replies - mainly linked to my impending undertaking of the Ride Across Britain 2013 (www.rideacrossbritain.com)

Anyone else doing it?

I'll update this thread with a bit more about my progress towards being "ready", or you can have a read over my blogging efforts here.

Steve

It's not across Britain though. I thought by the name it would be coast to coast which can be done in a day or two. It's Lejog for those who can't be bothered to carry their gear so they should do it in 6 days.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's not across Britain though. I thought by the name it would be coast to coast which can be done in a day or two. It's Lejog for those who can't be bothered to carry their gear so they should do it in 6 days.
In a bad mood today? ;) They are riding the length of the British mainland so the event name seems appropriate to me.

6 days? Seriously? Just coz they aren't carrying their own gear doesn't mean they can all average 163 miles a day, 6 days in a row. These riders aren't professionals and the country isn't all as flat as Cambridgeshire you know.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I am reading the blog with interest, I was going to take part in this event this year, but other stuff came up instead, but I am almost certainly going to do it next year.

Top Bottom