Ride an elecric bike and risk losing your leg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
He hit a pothole and fell off.
The leg injuries seem odd but maybe he has other medical complications we don’t know about such as osteoporosis or diabetes.
He is in his 70s so injuries can be much worse than for younger people.

Reactions: C R
We complain motons don't look far enough ahead but appears some cyclists don't either, may have been chipped and he 'lost it' in a motorbike 'oh beggar I'm going too fast this will hurt'. Riding outwith his skill/observation/speed envelope certainly.

Is that a poorly punctuated article, or is the journalist really blaming the bike?

“The businessman had the accident in April while riding an electric bike that injured his right leg so badly doctors considered amputating it.”

or, perhaps it should be

”The businessman had the accident in April, while riding an electric bike, that injured his right leg so badly doctors considered amputating it.”

Is that a poorly punctuated article, or is the journalist really blaming the bike?

“The businessman had the accident in April while riding an electric bike that injured his right leg so badly doctors considered amputating it.”

or, perhaps it should be

”The businessman had the accident in April, while riding an electric bike, that injured his right leg so badly doctors considered amputating it.”
That is what I was thinking
If he was, as he said, doing about 10kph then that is REALLY pooteling on an ebike - unless it was a steep hill I would have to switch the motor assist off to go that slow on mine!
But then - we don;t know all the circumstances - I hit a pothole a while ago that looked like a puddle but was actually 4 inches deep!
Still - seems like an honest bloke - hope he gets better soon - injuries like that are a problem at his age.

kynikos

Veteran
Or maybe it wasn't much of an injury; just a poor assessment by the medics:

”The businessman had the accident in April while riding an electric bike that injured his right leg so, badly, doctors considered amputating it.”

I hit a pothole a while ago that looked like a puddle but was actually 4 inches deep!

I rode into one puddle* that went to front axle depth before wheel started to climb out the other side (meaning three wet axles and two very wet feet, killed the hubs, the BB survives to this day) the trouble with puddles is the tops are flat but you've no idea how deep they are, not sure an axle deep puddle is a pothole in road parlance, caving usage is perhaps closer!

* TPT Cheshire Lines behind Switch Island ish.

I rode into one puddle* that went to front axle depth before wheel started to climb out the other side (meaning three wet axles and two very wet feet, killed the hubs, the BB survives to this day) the trouble with puddles is the tops are flat but you've no idea how deep they are, not sure an axle deep puddle is a pothole in road parlance, caving usage is perhaps closer!

* TPT Cheshire Lines behind Switch Island ish.
A while ago I used to advance a theory that Liverpool Council had a policy of leaving pothole until a car fell into them and was stuck with the roof level with the rest of the road - then tarmac over the car
Nowadays I reckon you can tell when you pass into Liverpool council boundaries because you have to slow down well below the 30 mph speed limit or you chassis will snap.
They are terrible!!!!

p.s.. I live near Switch Island - where is the Cheshire Lines bit?????
I know the laths around here but don;t recognise the name!!!

Robin Banx

Hope this is readable.

Top Bottom