England : Cheshire Ride around Chester/Wirral area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redmike1970

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and getting a little fed up of riding by myself! I want to up my mileage so if there is anyone out there from the Chester area who wants to meet up for a ride, just let me know!

Chester area who wants to meet up for a ride, just let me know!
Quite interested, what sort of rides/speed/ride dates are you interested in? Reasons for the quite: we've young kids so "early" weekend mornings are best and I'm slowly/hopefully getting over some health problems, so a bit of a wuss at the mo.

OP
OP
redmike1970

redmike1970

Quite interested, what sort of rides/speed/ride dates are you interested in? Reasons for the quite: we've young kids so "early" weekend mornings are best and I'm slowly/hopefully getting over some health problems, so a bit of a wuss at the mo.
Hi martin, nothing to heavy at the mo as I've only recently got back in the saddle myself. Early weekends are probably best. I commute to work around 15 miles a day so nothing too strenuous and open to anything at the moment to build up my fitness. I'm no cavendish so leisurely pace to start with. Most weekends I'm free, let me know what you think?

Sounds good, I'm doing a ~25 mile round trip (flat) commute ~3 times a week, but haven't been back on the bike at the weekends yet. Usually (used to) head out into the Clywdian hills (hope mountain, clywd gate or horseshoe (on a good day)) or sometimes over to Frodsham - Delamere, generally ~35-45 miles but will need to build up to that again & leisurely to begin sounds ideal. I can generally squeeze a ride in something like every other weekend. May be busy this weekend, but possibly the following Sunday?

OP
OP
redmike1970

redmike1970

Sounds good, I'm doing a ~25 mile round trip (flat) commute ~3 times a week, but haven't been back on the bike at the weekends yet. Usually (used to) head out into the Clywdian hills (hope mountain, clywd gate or horseshoe (on a good day)) or sometimes over to Frodsham - Delamere, generally ~35-45 miles but will need to build up to that again & leisurely to begin sounds ideal. I can generally squeeze a ride in something like every other weekend. May be busy this weekend, but possibly the following Sunday?
Hi Martin,
The following Sunday sounds great if you can manage it. I'm working myself this weekend and then find it hard balancing my rides around family life myself! (very excitable and easily bored 7 year old son). Your a better man than me as I have usually stuck to the flats although I did do the Liverpool Chester Liverpool 100 miles this year - don't let that fool you to my cycling prowess, it nigh on killed me! especially the hills through frodsham/delamere. Had a bad crash just after that which knocked my confidence and really just need to build the miles/fitness up. Mike

Where about are you based (I'm near the racecourse in Chester), and how does an ~8 am start sound? Could be a bit later if necessary, but I find I can usually fit that in and still keep the young 'uns amused later. I'm a bit of a fair weather rider, so if its chucking it down ... there is always another weekend.
With your crash, my clots and our 7 year olds (I've a boy and girl), we should have enough to bore each other for a few hours.
Did the Liverpool - Chester cycle a few years ago before they added the 100 miler part, but the hill out of Frodsham does get your legs going :-), hilly end of the sandstone trail.

OP
OP
redmike1970

redmike1970

Where about are you based (I'm near the racecourse in Chester), and how does an ~8 am start sound? Could be a bit later if necessary, but I find I can usually fit that in and still keep the young 'uns amused later. I'm a bit of a fair weather rider, so if its chucking it down ... there is always another weekend.
With your crash, my clots and our 7 year olds (I've a boy and girl), we should have enough to bore each other for a few hours.
Did the Liverpool - Chester cycle a few years ago before they added the 100 miler part, but the hill out of Frodsham does get your legs going :-), hilly end of the sandstone trail.
I'm based in Backford, which is ideal for riding into North Wales via Deeside/queensferry. 8am is ideal for me (young un is still snoring away at that time so I get peace!). Sounds like you have been through the wars so plenty to talk about. Usually do the 50 miler but thought supremely confident to do the 100 (bad move!) and your right, the frodsham hill is a killer but at least I didn't stop!

Ahh Backford ice cream farm ... perhaps when its a bit warmer again.

As you're in Backford, why not meet up ~Mickle Trafford (about half way between us) and then head out on a Mouldsworth - Alvanley - Frodsham - Delamere (forest) - Mouldsworth - Mickle Trafford loop? ~ 30-35 miles and your favourite hill :hyper:

Other ideas are for me to ride you to and go up the Wirral, you down to me/meet somewhere like Hawarden/Ewloe and head out to the Clywdian hills from there. The hills round Helsby/Frodsham are probably enough for me to start with though ... Maybe save the trip over the border for a later ride?

That Frodsham hill is my warm up! out of my road I get a choice, turn left up the Frodsham hill or turn right up to the Cuddington/A49 lights. Neither are a great way to start any ride :sad:

OP
OP
redmike1970

redmike1970

Ahh Backford ice cream farm ... perhaps when its a bit warmer again.

As you're in Backford, why not meet up ~Mickle Trafford (about half way between us) and then head out on a Mouldsworth - Alvanley - Frodsham - Delamere (forest) - Mouldsworth - Mickle Trafford loop? ~ 30-35 miles and your favourite hill :hyper:

Other ideas are for me to ride you to and go up the Wirral, you down to me/meet somewhere like Hawarden/Ewloe and head out to the Clywdian hills from there. The hills round Helsby/Frodsham are probably enough for me to start with though ... Maybe save the trip over the border for a later ride?

Meeting up at Mickle Trafford sounds ideal, and Mouldsworth route is probably good to start with. Used to head that way through Delamere quite a lot but haven't cycled that way since the Liverpool event so a good change of scenery. Need to get some stamina back in these legs so the Helsby hills are definitely enough to start with! Let me know how your fixed for this Sunday and we'll keep an eye on the weather.

OP
OP
redmike1970

redmike1970

That Frodsham hill is my warm up! out of my road I get a choice, turn left up the Frodsham hill or turn right up to the Cuddington/A49 lights. Neither are a great way to start any ride :sad:
Your a braver soul than me to start a ride in such a fashion! Need at least a couple of miles under my belt before I attempt the bumpy bits. Off to do a quick 25 miles before I head into work on this very chilly morning...

Cyclist33

throwing my hat in for a group ride or two, my parental duties are every other weekend generally and i probably wont bother if its raining, but i live in warrington and dont mind a ride around chester from time to time :smile:

slow and steady for me... only done the frodsham to delamere roads once on my road bike and that was an eye opener. it wasnt particularly nice on the mtb although the ride down from old pale height was fun!

stu

the lane I live on is right at the bottom of the climb
That sounds almost like an offer of cakes at the bottom when we go past :hungry:.

I live in warrington and don't mind a ride around chester from time to time :smile:
If you fancy this Sunday morning, feel free to join. Don't know how you'd join (come to Chester and head out from there) or join at Mickle Trafford, but just consider yourself invited and let us know what you want to do. If not this time, hopefully another time?

Off to do a quick 25 miles before I head into work on this very chilly morning...
Hope you enjoyed the ride. We took the kids to sample the culture of Blackpool (pleasure beach & lights). Was thinking that it would be good to have this weather again next weekend, here's hoping ...

That sounds almost like an offer of cakes at the bottom when we go past :hungry:.

you are more than welcome but with the state of the lane despite it being tarmac, I suspect you will not want to repeat it (unless it has recently rained very heavily which washes all the mud and crap off the lane and down into the brook. It is that bad, that I have to carry a spare water bottle at this time of year just to clean my brakes & mudguards of mud when I get to Norley lane... However, if you are ever around on mtb's (or don't mind a filthy road bike & back) please just yell and if I am about...

Top Bottom