ride around hebden bridge this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
IF it's not pissing down or blowing a gale, I'm happy starting anywhere between Hebden and Bacup. I can stay in Rochdale or Walsden the night before if my GF isn't working you see.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm a bit confused about where you are starting from! The map route starts from your house, but didn't you decide on a Littleborough or Rochdale start instead?

it's a loop and i'm not bothered where i start from at all. the route is only a suggestion, the lower road thru the woods is what i was aiming for. i'm quite happy to ride anywhere.

as the weather forecast for sunday is rain (doesn't say how hard) i've a feeling it will be a solo ride for me, lol.

it's only wednesday, so the plans can be firmed up later on in the week.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've been granted a pass out for the day, so pretty much have to use it raining or not :smile: I may rethink things if it's stupidly windy however.

I'm quite happy starting pretty much anywhere - although Hebden, Littleborough or Rochdale would be easiest for me, and anytime after about 8.30.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The forecast is for wet and windy conditions on Sunday (sound familiar?) but sunny and a bit less windy on Saturday. Any chance of doing the ride on Saturday instead? I know that could well be difficult or impossible for some of you so don't change the day if it causes problems.

If the ride stays on Sunday, I might go out and do a longish ride on Saturday and meet you for just the 2nd half of Sunday's ride. I'm not fit enough to do two longish rides in two days at the moment, and I need to be out in the sunshine!

Just found the weld on my driveside dropout has failed :sad:

Better finding out now rather than halfway round out in the wilds I spose

Looks like I'm out

Anyone got a brazing torch???
Bad luck Paul! Have you only got the one bike then?

Surely there is a bike shop somewhere in the area that could repair the dropout for you (assuming that it is a steel frame)?

Did have a geared road bike which I sold when I got made redundant

I kept the fixed wheel bike,It was a beater frame anyway.

It's not worth spending any money on,I'll pick up something
off ebay hopefully (still not working so a new frames out of the question)

Looks like I'll be hill walking to keep fit for a few weeks

ColinJ

It's not worth spending any money on,I'll pick up something
off ebay hopefully (still not working so a new frames out of the question)
It might be worth asking here on the forum if anybody has an old bike or frame your size that they don't use any more and would be willing to donate or sell to you very cheaply. I let a Claud Butler go in exchange for a lunch in Leeds a few years back!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Anyone got a brazing torch???

Er, yes, actually. And used it to modify and repair the odd frame.

I'm not planning to come for this ride, but I'll be over that way for one of ColinJ's rides sooner or later, or failing that, Spring Into the Dales. If you can hang on until then I'd be happy to take your frame away and see if it can be fixed. PM me if you'd like that.

Er, yes, actually. And used it to modify and repair the odd frame.

I'm not planning to come for this ride, but I'll be over that way for one of ColinJ's rides sooner or later, or failing that, Spring Into the Dales. If you can hang on until then I'd be happy to take your frame away and see if it can be fixed. PM me if you'd like that.

Got my eye on a couple of frames on ebay over the weekend,we'll see what comes of those.

If not, I'll be over your way in a few weeks time,going for a weekend in whitby,possibly drop off
the frame on the way?

It would be much appreciated if you could rebraze it.
It looks repairable, the dropouts come away cleanly from the seatstays, still attached to the chainstays

The frustrating thing is.if I was still working I could have rebrazed myself(I was a refrigeration engineer)
And to top it all I threw away an old frame last weekend as well ,thinking I'm never gonna use this :rolleyes:

Svendo

Guru
Looking at weather for sunday this morning, it's a bit mixed.
Met office says cloudy or sunny for Rochdale, Hasligden and Halifax, no rain during the day.
Metcheck and XC weather still say heavy rain early on Sunday easing off mid morning (metcheck more than XC but metcheck always seems to say more rain than other sites.) Wind forecast varies, but none say silly winds like last week.
Ye pays ye money ye takes ye choice at the moment. Lets hope the metoffice's super computer knows something the crowdsourced sites don't.

ColinJ

I don't know why we bother checking forecasts 4 or 5 days ahead!

It seems to me that the only ones that are accurate are the ones that say the weather is going to be the same for 2 weeks. Anything changeable and then it is down to clever guesswork about when it will change and to what.

I mean, there could be a huge cloud over greater Manchester dumping loads of rain, and the sun could be shining here 25 miles away. Can they really forecast exactly where that cloud will be several days in advance? I think not!

Fiona N

Veteran
I don't know why we bother checking forecasts 4 or 5 days ahead!

Well you can really see Saturday's weather coming here - nothing like a satellite picture to let you see what's coming up. There's a more detailed UK picture here.

Just run the last 12 hours so you see the speed things are moving and guess how things are going to develop. At this scale, it's not rocket science, as they say :biggrin:

P.S. I forgot to say, not all cloud is rain so swop to infrared which shows the colder denser cloud (whiter) which is most likely to be rain to get the full picture.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
judging by the weather report for tomorrow (sunday), i'm guessing i'll be solo on this one. if anyone is still planning on joining me, please let me know so we can arrange to meet up. if no-one replies by, say, 9pm tonight, i'll know i'm billy no-mates tomorrow...:smile:.

are we still all planning on doing the waddington cafe run next weekend? hope so, i need to get my february 100 miles in.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
judging by the weather report for tomorrow (sunday), i'm guessing i'll be solo on this one. if anyone is still planning on joining me, please let me know so we can arrange to meet up. if no-one replies by, say, 9pm tonight, i'll know i'm billy no-mates tomorrow...:smile:.

are we still all planning on doing the waddington cafe run next weekend? hope so, i need to get my february 100 miles in.

potsy

Rambler

Thought it was the weekend after Shaun? Doubt if I can make next weekend as it's my Mums birthday and me and my sis are taking her for lunch.
Good luck for tomorra with the weather.

Top Bottom