England : Kent Ride for Food - Rye - 9th Nov

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok, the Whitstable ride in October will be my last FNRttC of 2013 so I need something to fill the time. I'm therefore proposing to bring back the Ride For Food from 2011. The first will be to Rye on Saturday 9th Nov. It will start at either 8am or 8.30am (decision to be made based on attendee list) at Bromley South station.

It's around 130 miles there and back. The route out is hilly bordering very hilly but nothing too steep. The route back is flatter but if there's a northeasterly wind you'll be wishing for a hill on the Military Canal Road out of Rye.

Lunch will be taken at the Ypres Castle pub in Rye Old Town. It's a quaint little old place that does good food (but has been considered expensive at aroun £12 for fish and chips). I hope to arrange for us to be able to lock our bikes in the beer garden.

Things to know (sometimes called Rules):

1. No one will be left behind but please bear in mind this won't be running at FNRttC speeds. I imagine averages of around 13-14mph for the whole trip.
2. I won't be doing a recce. I know the route but road surfaces may have changed since I last rode it. You're responsible for yourself but please consider others e.g. if the road surface is iffy, leave some space.
3. It will almost certainly finish in the dark so be comfortable riding in the dark.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
9th is a Saturday, Martin......

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
It's roughly this http://ridewithgps.com/routes/732583 . It's a couple of years since I did it. Me and @ianrauk did the recce at something like 17mph on the way in. It won't be that quick.
Cheers for that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I might consider joining you just for the outbound leg, then bailing at Rye. I couldn't hack 130 miles at that pace - I tend to die on my arse soon after the clock goes over 100 even at a more genteel pace. Trains back from Rye are a bit complicated though, so it might mean peeling off South of Tunbridge Wells and heading off solo West or South West towards more familiar, train-home-friendly, territory*. (And stopping for a lie down to recover once out of sight) So I'll register a vague half-interest. Let you know nearer the time.

* Or indeed just riding home from there is another option.

Edit: Just had a look at your route. Take extra care on Westerham Hill coming off the Downs, where Pilgrims Way crosses that road near the bottom of the hill. I know of someone who was hit by a car who pulled out there. Visibility on that junction isn't great and you can get quite a lick up coming down the hill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom