ride getting harder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BEHMOTH66

Hi guys been commuting into work now on my hybrid Voodoo Agwa with 700x28mm wheels for 6 months. I always want to improve my times as its only a 5 mile ride so only way to lose a bit of weight is by being knackered at the end of every commute. just recently I seem to have lost all energy in my legs and a 15 minute ride is now at 20 mins, I know the weather and the wind can be a factor but my legs feel dead, is this lack of protein lack of carbs dehydration? any ideas. I want to increase my ride length and have joined a cycling club which is a friendly group rather than in a train 50kmh per hour one(if you know what I mean) , but I don't feel like I could make any long ride at the moment. any ideas?

screenman

Legendary Member
The very wrong bit is this "way to lose a bit of weight is by being knackered at the end of every commute" try eating less that will work far better. Then ride slower and longer.

As for 50kph ride, come on where would that happen, not even on the pro circuit.

OP
OP
B

BEHMOTH66

my diet has changed and I am eating a healthy balanced diet it is I've lost 1 stone but now I want to increase my fitness/stamina I'm 15st and just retired from rugby when I say I want to lose weight it is not fat I want to lose a bit of bulk I'm 6'2 and 15st. I still do a bit of training at football and rugby but don't play anymore

Time trial average is 47-53kph so your wrong. I'm after advice not your doing this wrong. I'm averaging 21kph on my commute already and fastest is 24kph

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The very wrong bit is this "way to lose a bit of weight is by being knackered at the end of every commute" try eating less that will work far better. Then ride slower and longer.

As for 50kph ride, come on where would that happen, not even on the pro circuit.

Steady on, screeners, I think the OP - who is new - was only using 50kph as a figure of speech to indicate he has not joined a group inappropriate to his level of fitness.

I agree about eating less to lose weight.

OP
OP
B

BEHMOTH66

its not eating less its eating right. The advice I was after was for the sudden down turn with a lack of energy in my legs after playing rugby for 30 years I have never had this problem plus only playing once a week rather than cycling 6 days a week for 2x5mile commutes is a different sort of exercise.

Sharky

Guru
Hi there, don't underestimate the affect that the winter weather and extra clothing layers will have on your performance. The good times will return as it gets warmer.

On the times you are quoting, 5 miles in 15 mins is 20 mph - this is "racing" territory. If I can achieve this speed when I am riding a proper 10 mile time-trial on a stripped down bike in racing gear, I would be happy. Presume you have a computer on your bike? Make sure it's set for auto stop/start and then only the riding times will be measured.

Happy cycling

Keith

vickster

Legendary Member
Eat less, ride further :smile: you won't lose weight cycling 5 miles, even if it's each way. Nor do you need to eat in any specific way. Probably is the weather, lack of sleep, stress in your life, possibly a lurking virus or any combination

If you want to lose bulk, you either have to stay away from weights or completely change physiology if that's how you are created. ultimately, you probably aren't excessively overweight for your size. Add running, swimming, rowing whatever to your fitness regimen. Those who do those of types of exercises regularly, tend to be toned and not fat, nor over muscled

And a roadbike would probably help you speed up and manage longer distances. 6 months of 60 miles a week isn't cycle training for performance riding

screenman

Legendary Member
its not eating less its eating right. The advice I was after was for the sudden down turn with a lack of energy in my legs after playing rugby for 30 years I have never had this problem plus only playing once a week rather than cycling 6 days a week for 2x5mile commutes is a different sort of exercise.

If you are pushing hard every day then you will certainly feel muscle fatigued, take it easy, very easy for say 2 days then go a bit harder then knock it back again for a couple of days.

Those speeds you mention are Wiggo speeds, they do not relate to us lot, my average on say a two hour ride is only about 26kph.

OP
OP
B

BEHMOTH66

Hi there, don't underestimate the affect that the winter weather and extra clothing layers will have on your performance. The good times will return as it gets warmer.

On the times you are quoting, 5 miles in 15 mins is 20 mph - this is "racing" territory. If I can achieve this speed when I am riding a proper 10 mile time-trial on a stripped down bike in racing gear, I would be happy. Presume you have a computer on your bike? Make sure it's set for auto stop/start and then only the riding times will be measured.

Happy cycling

Keith
I use strava on my phone but I do "go for it" all the way I try and go as fast as I can as I know its only a short commute, I'm still struggling to understand why from the last 2 weeks my legs feel so dead, compared to the last 5 months?

OP
OP
B

BEHMOTH66

thanks guys may have to get back in the car for a week or so or even have a couple of weeks gentle riding. as I say I want to increase my ride lengths during the week this is very unlikely as I have to pick my child up from school and run a rugby team and a football team so weekend afternoons are my only option to length my rides. Thanks

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Sounds like your muscles are fatigued. You need time for the muscles to repair between strenuous rides. As earlier suggested allow a couple of rest days between hard rides for your muscles to recover.

I would also suggest doing longer rides with small rest periods on your ride. Aim for an average speed of between of 15-18kph to begin with over a 40k route. Over time you can increase your average speed. You will soon find your average speed on your commutes go up.

vickster

Legendary Member
thanks guys may have to get back in the car for a week or so or even have a couple of weeks gentle riding. as I say I want to increase my ride lengths during the week this is very unlikely as I have to pick my child up from school and run a rugby team and a football team so weekend afternoons are my only option to length my rides. Thanks
Do you drop sprog off too? Could you extend your morning commute by Leaving earlier? Also warm up when you start, don't go full pelt for the first mile and stretch after

matiz

Guru
Maybe a 5 minute warm up on a turbo before you set out each morning would help because going flat out straight out of the house isn't giving your legs time to warm up properly

Top Bottom