ride getting harder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You need to keep you protein levels high. You're body will naturally go into waste muscle mode before it will reduce fat if you restrict calorie intake however you need muscle to burn calories. Our bodies survival mechanism has not evolved since we were living caves and running after our dinner despite the invention of central heating.

It's all about eating the healthy fats and proteins containing the essential amino acids. Just look at what eating healthy and cycling did for me.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a...at-cycling-has-done-for-me.40775/post-3113678
Oh and stay off the bread. There are far healthier, alternative carbs out there. Modern wheat spikes your blood's sugar levels almost double compared to Mars Bar I think I read. Have you never noticed that after eating a delicious sandwich made with tiger bread that afterwards you feel really tired and lethargic?

Here endith the lesson and I hope my passed on researched and tested advice helps you with your goal.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
+1 for the warm up for the first 5 minutes, then do not try to pedal a high gear but increase your cadence (pedal faster) in a lower gear.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would forget about fuelling and protein levels. This is only a 5 mile each way comute we are talking about.

I would be inclined to take it easy for a few days and then get back to it - see if a few easy days or days off the bike have helped.

Definitely think that adding extra miles into your daily routine, if possible would help. The cold rubish weather has also played a part - don't underestimate the effect, as mentioned by an earlier poster.

Good luck!

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Riding flat out for short distances is not going to help you lose weight in itself. You're into cupboard raiding territory where the body feels the need to replace the glycogen you've been using as fuel with any amount of junk food you can lay yer hands on!

As others have said, longer slower rides will probably be better for weight loss. And riding as hard as you can every day, can take its toll mentally as well as physically, so perhaps backing off for a whole would be helpful.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
More miles.. that's what's needed. 5 miles in the scheme of things, especially on a commute is not a lot. It's not enough time to get your body burning fat. What i found for me when I weighed 16stone was at least an hours riding (quite hard) at least once a week. By doing that, the weight just dropped off. Of course healthy eating and cutting way back on the booze contributed to the weight loss.

And listen to what Mr @Sittingduck has to say, listen and learn from him. He knows what he's talking about.

OP
OP
B

BEHMOTH66

thanks again for the input. I try and stop cupboard raiding by hitting the water when I get in but it does happen every now and again. Adding extra miles is a bit difficult during the week I start work at 6:30am and finish at 3pm. Tuesday I train with my rugby team for 1:30hours Wednesday I train a junior rugby team for 1:30 Thursday I train my u17's Football team for a hour Saturday and Sunday is all about watching and coaching my teams play. which leaves me Monday and Friday Nights and Saturday and Sunday Afternoons, and I admit there are times when the call of the pub at weekends is hard to turn down. I could maybe change the route from a flatish route to a hilly route by going a different way, but I think I will ease of for a few days and see how that goes. weight is not an issue really . I would like to be a bit more confident to cycle with a club without blowing up half way through the ride. I have completed the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride for the last 2 years but in company of guys who commute the same distance as me or less so speed and time was never an issue.

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you get around for all your activities? Can you cycle instead of driving :smile:. Add a rack or even a trailer for stuff hauling :smile:

OP
OP
B

BEHMOTH66

that's what my strava is telling me my average speed is and its 7.8Kms

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I was nervous before I joined a club. I wouldn't join one until I knew I would be able to maintain a reasonable pace to go in one of the slower groups. It can knock your confidence if you get dropped on a club run but most decent clubs will not drop riders, at least not in the slower or more introductary groups anyway! I think if I had those 4 slots open for longer rides I would take 2 and leave 2 open for other stuff. Maybe try Mondays and Saturdays and have Fri/Sun as pub!

Try to do a recce ride of the local club's typical route and see how you get on before going on a full club run?

screenman

Legendary Member
If you join a club just go out with a one or a couple of the members first if you are unsure. The club run thing is a very minor part of club life for most clubs.

adscrim

Veteran
I use strava on my phone but I do "go for it" all the way I try and go as fast as I can as I know its only a short commute, I'm still struggling to understand why from the last 2 weeks my legs feel so dead, compared to the last 5 months?

If it's just over the last two weeks you may well have been fighting off something viral. Anything else feeling a bit off? Sore head, sore throat, any general lethargy? If it was me, I'd have a pootling week where I tried not to break a sweat when riding and see how I felt after that.

Top Bottom