Ride out from North Leeds 22nd March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Calum said:
Battling through heavy traffic in central Leeds, is fun! I do it every day! I mean, there's the small matter of your life expectancy being lowered significantly, but what's the problem with that?!!;)
I have a hatred of city traffic so I'm not looking forward to that bit! :wacko:

Uncle Phil - I think that we will be riding past the west side of Roundhay park and according to my map there are two car parks there. We'd probably get there at about 11:20. I'm sure that colly will be online again soon though and he can tell if you if there is a better place for you to park and meet us.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What's the latest time for deciding whether to come? I'm in half a mind to come on Sunday and not max out my ride on Saturday. Then again if I'm going to come on this Hilly one on 5th April I'm probably better off getting the longer distance in on Saturday and not coming. Hmmm.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Uncle Phil said:
Mrs Uncle Phil and I were considering marinyork's ride, but I have been reminded I have a gig in York on Saturday evening, so that would be tricky.

However, if you're not starting at the crack of dawn on Sunday, we might well enjoy a pootle with you folks.

We will probably drive over, and won't particularly want to start in the centre of Leeds. If we join you (and it's still an if at this stage), where would be an easy place to find, leave the van and meet up with the rest of you?

I can't see your bikehike map on this steam-driven computer, Colly - can you give me a grid reference, a postcode or a road/junction, pub, somthing like that as a starting point?

We won't be setting off until late morning seeing as how Colinj can't get into Leeds before 11ish.

Oakwood Clock would be a good place to meet :
LS8 2HU

That is the post code of the Post Office opposite the clock. You really can't miss the clock and there is a car park to leave your car. No charges either.

Marinyork, If you can make it that's great just turn up at Oakwood Clock around 11. I'll pm you my mobile so you can let me know if we should hang on for you.

As for dragging up from Leeds Station in the morning. I could always collect you in the van Colin. I'm not a fan of cycling through Leeds either, even on a Sunday. Just let me know, it would be no trouble.

ColinJ

colly said:
As for dragging up from Leeds Station in the morning. I could always collect you in the van Colin. I'm not a fan of cycling through Leeds either, even on a Sunday. Just let me know, it would be no trouble.
Oh, er... I feel like I'm wimping out slightly to ask you to do it, but if you really don't mind that would be great (I know you can fit Calum in as well).

The route you published is 90 km (56 miles) and I think that is a nice distance for a sociable ride with quite a few hills. I don't feel any great desire to add about 10 km of city riding on to that if I don't have to! ;)

If I meet Calum at the front of the station at 10:50-10:55, you could aim to pick us up at about 11:00. Where would we have to stand for you to be able to stop and pick us up? (I don't know about bus lanes etc.)

Hey - Google Street View is pretty impressive! I've just been taking a virtual drive round the streets by the station trying to find a pick-up point - there are an awful lot of double yellow lines there.

Calum

Tbh, I ride through the Leeds rush hour pretty much every day without too much trouble. On sunday, I think we'll be fine. I don't think there's much point in Colly driving about when we can just ride out of town. Unless he'd rather do that!

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
ColinJ said:
Hey - Google Street View is pretty impressive! I've just been taking a virtual drive round the streets by the station trying to find a pick-up point - there are an awful lot of double yellow lines there.

Ok. I will see you two at the station just before 11 on Sunday.
To find me come through the barriers, turn left, down a few steps, 30 mts and turn left again, it will bring you out to a pick up point.

Should look something like this : http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl?l...p=12,129.01572204641369,,0,10.192307692307693

'cept you'll be coming at it from a different angle.

Calum

Calum's dazed and confused! Colly, are you meeting Colin in the car and driving him out of town? Or are we all meeting at the station with the bikes and cycling out?

ColinJ

Calum said:
Calum's dazed and confused! Colly, are you meeting Colin in the car and driving him out of town? Or are we all meeting at the station with the bikes and cycling out?
I'm pretty sure he means that he'll be turning up with his van!

D'oh - I'd never noticed that pick-up/drop-off point at the back of the station building before - I only looked round the front!

Colly - I'm sure that you probably know the route like the back of your hand (you do know the back of your hand don't you? :smile:) but I'll upload it to my GPS anyway so you won't have to consult a map if there are any turns that you aren't sure about.

Calum

Ok guys! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow morning! :smile: I don't really see the point in driving out of town, it's perfectly safe to ride out, but if you'd rather do that then fiiiiiiiiiine! :blush:

Colly, where are you planning on parking the van? I was half thinking of riding out alone and meeting you, but tbh, it's probably gonna be easier if I just meet you two at the station.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Calum Colly said:
I'll meet you and Colin at the station just before 11. There is a pick up and drop off point to the rear of the station and I will be in the van. I think you have my number so if you can't see me just give me a call.
It will only take 5 mins or so to get back up to Oakwood so we are due for a set off from there about 11.15.

Yes I know the route pretty well Colin. I may change it as we go along anyway. :biggrin:

Calum

Ok that's great. I'm going swimming first thing in the morning so it's going to be an exercise day tomorrow!

ColinJ

colly - I won't bother putting the route on the GPS then, but I'll bring it to log where we go.

Calum - swimming as well - you're keen! Are you training for triathlons? I'll go straight out to the pick-up point at the rear of the station when I arrive and meet you there.

Looks like there might be a cold wind blowing tomorrow!

Calum

Yesterday I was thinking it might just about be warm enough for shorts and t shirts! Don't think so somehow...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Morning all. Just got back from a gig - it's ten to two am in the morning...

Mrs Uncle Phil trapped her thumb in a gate and hurt it rather badly on Friday, which means she won't be coming - too sore to ride. My late night plus this factor means I regret I probably won't be there.

Have a great day though.

Top Bottom