Ride with GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Myself and @Fab Foodie use it so may be able to assist.

Venod

Eh up
I have a question, I upload my rides to Garmin Connect, this automatically loads them to RWGPS (on PC) RWGPS always gives more stopped time than actually occurred, I can't see how to alter it, any ideas?

User269

Had we but world enough, and time,
This coyness, Lady, (well, @steveindenmark actually) were no crime.
We would sit down and think which way
To walk and pass our long love’s day..................................................

But at my back I always hear
Time’s wingèd chariot hurrying near;
And yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity.

With apologies to Andrew Marvell

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why don't you just ask the question?
No point in wasting ink if nobody uses RWGPS. But as it's my post I suppose it's ok to do it my way.

I have solved my problems with help from another forum. I am sure I will have more questions as I start to use it.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have a RWGPS question.

How do you delete an existing point?

Graham
  1. select Edit mode for the route.
  2. select 'Add/remove control point'.
  3. click on the point you want to remove (this also works for cue points).
I did a fair bit of RideWithGPS route editing prior to the Italy / France trip from which I just returned, so I'm reasonably familiar with its route editing features.

1. select Edit mode for the route.
  2. select 'Add/remove control point'.
  3. click on the point you want to remove (this also works for cue points).
I did a fair bit of RideWithGPS route editing prior to the Italy / France trip from which I just returned, so I'm reasonably familiar with its route editing features.

Thanks for that.

Obvious really, but after you click 'Add/remove control point' it gives you no real indication of the fact that clicking on an existing point will remove it.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Graham

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I have a question, I upload my rides to Garmin Connect, this automatically loads them to RWGPS (on PC) RWGPS always gives more stopped time than actually occurred, I can't see how to alter it, any ideas?
All my rides end up on GC, RwGPS, and Strava. I always have my devices set to "Autopause Off", since as far as I can see doing anything else means you're throwing away data.

Anyway, I also find that all three sites have a different idea of how much time I spend stopped, but that's not wrong, is it? As with elevation, there's no correct interpretation of stationary time. If RwGPS wants to give me a marginally more flattering moving average speed, who am I to argue?

As a route planning tool, I find that RwGPS does everything I could imagine wanting. I see one irritation: when entering a route it's often useful to switch between "Driving" and "Cycling" depending how I want to approach navigating a particular area. However, when I am tweaking the route later, sometimes sections which I'd carefully plotted are re-routed without me realising it until much later, usually because part of it was entered as "Cycling", and part as "Driving". Careful use of control points prevents this, but it's easy to miss things.

Venod

Eh up
I also find that all three sites have a different idea of how much time I spend stopped, but that's not wrong, is it?

No I can live with it but I assume RWGPS is recording stopped time below a certain speed and wondered if it was a setting that could be changed, as it can on a Garmin device, I have completed rides with no stop time but RWGPS gives me some, but as you say it gives you an improved moving average speed.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
One of my problems is that I open the route I have planned on my phone and start riding. I want to follow my track from the bottom of the screen to the top but it is all over the place. I cannot find auto rotate. I am using a Samsung phone. I hope this makes some sense.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
No I can live with it but I assume RWGPS is recording stopped time below a certain speed and wondered if it was a setting that could be changed, as it can on a Garmin device, I have completed rides with no stop time but RWGPS gives me some, but as you say it gives you an improved moving average speed.
If RwGPS is doing this it does look as though the others may be doing it better, but I'd still say there isn't a right and wrong answer.

I believe RwGPS users to be a saner breed, but if there were a feature on Strava to adjust stopping time post ride, I'm sure many would use it to tune their rides to be as flattering as possible!

Something I've always wondered is how these systems avoid creating gaps in the track if they have to make assumptions about what is or isn't a pause. Maybe the logic isn't as straightforward as saying "if less that x mph, nothing happening".

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
One of my problems is that I open the route I have planned on my phone and start riding. I want to follow my track from the bottom of the screen to the top but it is all over the place. I cannot find auto rotate. I am using a Samsung phone. I hope this makes some sense.

I think I have sorted this. To enable and disable the auto rotate, you tap the compass in the top right corner of your screen. I think.

UPDATE...I have been for a ride and the compass at the top right of the screen does indeed switch the auto rotate on and off. You just push it.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
I use rwgps for route planning.
I sometimes import other people's routes and trace over them.
I follow the route using voice cues on my Android phone.
Recently I have started using Bluetooth ear piece to hear it better.

Top Bottom