Ride with GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have not learnt to trace over tracks yet Katherine but I will do. I find the POI feature useful and downloading the maps offline saves my data and will be handy in Italy in a couple of weeks.

PK99

Legendary Member
One tip:

When plotting a route from A to B, rather than methodically work along the route myself, I put in A and B as start and end point and let the system plot it's own cycling route. I then drag the route to any way points I want to visit, then to roads I want to use or away from roads I want to avoid.

Katherine

Guru
One thing I have found when using my smartphone, is that when I download a route ready to use, if I then turn off my phone, even if it says that the route is downloaded when I get to the start point and try to open a particular route, it doesn't load. So, if I want to ride a particular route, after I have re-downloaded it the night before, I leave my phone turned on.

Another thing I have found is if I change my mind on route and go a differrent way home for example, if I save the ride, it saves the changes which I don't want it to do, so now I never save a ride. (I always plot and share the route for club rides to go back to the start even though it is rare that anyone actually does.)

Both these things may be because I am doing something wrong.

I have to say that the rwgps help button and their response to queries are very good.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Katherine, it can only record the route you ride. If that's not the route you want the club to ride then you are sharing the ride in the correct way.

I will look at the other point during the week.

Katherine

Guru
Katherine, it can only record the route you ride. If that's not the route you want the club to ride then you are sharing the ride in the correct way.

I will look at the other point during the week.

I create the route by plotting it on the pc then I ride it but - - - - - it won't let you start a route without recording the ride.
If you save the ride at the end, it saves any changes, whether you took a wrong turning or went a different way back or missed a bit out. I don't want it to save those kind of changes to my original plotted route, which is why I delete the ride when I get back. I don't delete the original route though.

Venod

Eh up
I create the route by plotting it on the pc then I ride it but - - - - - it won't let you start a route without recording the ride.
If you save the ride at the end, it saves any changes, whether you took a wrong turning or went a different way back or missed a bit out. I don't want it to save those kind of changes to my original plotted route, which is why I delete the ride when I get back. I don't delete the original route though.

If you save it with a different name (is that possible?) does it alter the original ?

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So you plot it on the pc and go out and ride it.

If you took a wrong turning. Why did You? Maybe you need go check the route on the PC more thoroughly. They do throw up false routes occasionally.

Katherine

Guru
So you plot it on the pc and go out and ride it.

If you took a wrong turning. Why did You? Maybe you need go check the route on the PC more thoroughly. They do throw up false routes occasionally.
Sometimes, I don't click in the right place and it traces over a path or something, usually if I'm not zoomed in enough. Sometimes, I veer off route for an icecream ( today!), sometimes, I change my mind or miss a bit out.

Katherine

Guru
If you save it with a different name (is that possible?) does it alter the original ?
I haven't seen any save choices when I am in the app on my phone.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Sometimes, I don't click in the right place and it traces over a path or something, usually if I'm not zoomed in enough. Sometimes, I veer off route for an icecream ( today!), sometimes, I change my mind or miss a bit out.
The answer to this part of the problem is to zoom right in on the pc and treble check your route before you set off. And to stop eating ice cream.

Top Bottom