Ride/Work balance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
This does not apply for commuting rides but for leisure and training.

Do you get all your work done and then go for a ride or do you prefer to incorporate your ride within the working day?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I prefer to ride on my days off or when I'm on nights and can get out in daylight, 12hr day shifts starting at 5am eat up so much of the day I don't bother.

Told my employer to shove a lot of extra shifts so have freed up more me time from August onwards

C R

Guru
I'm mostly working from home, so I try to get some miles at lunchtime when other things don't need attention. Those are short rides, 1h tops. Long rides only happen on the weekends or bank holidays.

vickster

Legendary Member
Usually after work, not enough time around lunchtime between meetings. More likely to have a short walk.
Mornings very rarely unless doing a part commute

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Very rarely ride before or after work, except commuting, due to 12 hour shifts, occasionally run errands on my lunch break.
Usually reserve riding for days off when I have a full day free to get bigger mileage in.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Both, if necessary! Ordinarily, I aim to go out for appRox 20 miles at about 11am or so. Sometimes it’s not convenient and I have to go out later on. Wednesday evenings is the club evening ride, so keep my powder dry until the evening. Today I actually didn’t go out at all… too humid and work calls in the middle of the day… back ache tonight after some block paving re work yesterday :angry: It’s a key aspect of the working day to get out for a ride, imho!

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Both, if necessary! Ordinarily, I aim to go out for appRox 20 miles at about 11am or so. Sometimes it’s not convenient and I have to go out later on. Wednesday evenings is the club evening ride, so keep my powder dry until the evening. Today I actually didn’t go out at all… too humid and work calls in the middle of the day… back ache tonight after some block paving re work yesterday :angry: It’s a key aspect of the working day to get out for a ride, imho!

Working from home 4 out of 5 days. Hot here in the afternoon so ride before work at 5:30am. Wish I could still take riding in real hot weather, but if I do, I get headaches afterward. I miss the stress relief of riding after work.

Alex321

Veteran
When I'm WFH (normally 3 days a week now), I usually go for a ride either immediately I finish (about 4:30), or after dinner (starting sometime between 6:30 & 7:00).

At weekends if I have nothing else on, I will get whatever jobs around the house need doing first, then usually go for a ride mid afternoon. If there are no urgent jobs around the house I might go for a morning ride.

When I'm in the office I usually commute by bike (15 miles each way), so don't do any other ride.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
WFH days I’ll either try to get a 1h lunchtime ride in if meetings and commitments allow, otherwise a little evening pootle. My main route out into the sticks can get a little rat runny around 4:30-5:30 so I prefer the lunchtime option even if times are more constrained.

Reactions: C R

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
11am or thereabouts is ideal... book slots in diary either side - invariably the lunch rides have stretched to around 1hr 15m of late :whistle:
I tend to aim for 20 miles if poss.

Before work and after work but not during work. Even if working from home. Can't enjoy the ride, too many work related things on my mind.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Work at home 4 days a week now. Start work at 7am. Way too hot to ride after work. Ride at 5:15am, as long as I’m home by 6:45 I’m happy. Wish I could ride after work in the summer for stress relief, but the temps won’t let me.

In the winter I ride after work, usually, OR in the morning too if it’s not too cold. But early morning rides are completely in the dark in the winter!

SGG on a bike

We normally try to get an hour or so in before work. Our usual route is to head over to feed the ducks at Lound, which takes us about an hour including the stop. I have quite a physical job, so often don't feel like riding any sort of distance after work, preferring to keep those for my days off.

Top Bottom