RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The diversity comment is interesting because this is the third place I've seen it mentioned. My club is 84% male and 16% female which while it's not the balance we want it is a significant improvement on past years. We have one member with an ethnic background. I say this just to set the scene.

We were in London for four days, Friday and Saturday, Monday doing touristy stuff and Sunday riding. I was struck by the huge ethnic diversity I saw amongst the general population, much wider than I recall from previous visits. I wasn't surprised by the diversity of the ride as I presumed this simply reflected the local population, particularly as my perception is the vast majority of riders were from the south and south-east. Two groups who did catch my eye were some Muslim women who wore some cycling kit but had apparently adapted this and found other useable clothing to allow them to cycle while observing their beliefs. I thought this excellent. I also saw three male riders of genetically short stature - I'm being very careful as I don't know what words are acceptable. This was three very short men riding children's bikes. One of them passed me twice, my average for the ride was 19.8mph. I can't imagine the effort they must have been making on the 100 mile route.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Anyone get under 4 hours since it was such a flat ride?🤔

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Unfortunately unless I’m missing something you can’t search this by rider elapsed time.

If i recall correctly, the rider times have never been sortable by time - all in accordance with it not being a race!
Someone usually scrapes the data into an excel file. I've had a go but quickly gave up.

There's a Ben Chapman that finished in 3 hrs 45 mins. And he's not the fastest!

lazybloke

A couple of days on, I reckon my "dull as ditchwater" comment was a bit harsh a description of the route (except for the A12 "motorway"); the rest wasn't nearly so bad.
More importantly, there just aren't many opportunities to enjoy riding on closed roads, so I probably will consider doing it again.

Hopefully they'll tweak the route a bit, ie not into the rising sun; and they could do away with those 180 degree turns.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I also saw three male riders of genetically short stature - I'm being very careful as I don't know what words are acceptable. This was three very short men riding children's bikes. One of them passed me twice, my average for the ride was 19.8mph. I can't imagine the effort they must have been making on the 100 mile route.

I saw one of the short guys coming the other way, near Woodford where the return route merged with the outbound, so he would have been on his return leg as I was just heading towards the Col de Epping Forest.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
The diversity comment is interesting because this is the third place I've seen it mentioned. My club is 84% male and 16% female which while it's not the balance we want it is a significant improvement on past years. We have one member with an ethnic background. I say this just to set the scene.

We were in London for four days, Friday and Saturday, Monday doing touristy stuff and Sunday riding. I was struck by the huge ethnic diversity I saw amongst the general population, much wider than I recall from previous visits. I wasn't surprised by the diversity of the ride as I presumed this simply reflected the local population, particularly as my perception is the vast majority of riders were from the south and south-east. Two groups who did catch my eye were some Muslim women who wore some cycling kit but had apparently adapted this and found other useable clothing to allow them to cycle while observing their beliefs. I thought this excellent. I also saw three male riders of genetically short stature - I'm being very careful as I don't know what words are acceptable. This was three very short men riding children's bikes. One of them passed me twice, my average for the ride was 19.8mph. I can't imagine the effort they must have been making on the 100 mile route.

Average speed, but not average height.
https://www.strava.com/activities/7221158231

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Impressions from my first large event.

Prior to this I'd twice ridden a max of 125kms and also twice ridden group/club rides so much of this experience was new to me.

I live 10kms from the start and while I expected to soon see other entrants; I was just clipping in outside my front door when a woman cyclist appeared from about 15 houses away in an adjacent cul de sac fully "numbered up". We had never previously met despite us both living in the same houses for more than 20 years! As we cycled into central London we saw more and more riders until it became a procession towards Fleet Street. She departed to look for a friend and my excitement level really mounted as I joined the good humoured throng making our way on foot from Parliament Square down Whitehall. I found it all quite emotional and yes it reminded me of the excitement around the Olympic events in 2012.
Unfortunately the only SNAFU of the day meant taking about 30mins to move less than 800 yards down Northumberland Avenue. Around 8.10 something ahead went wrong (introduction of a two lane start?) and it was cold. People were vigorously shaking and shivering. Luckily I had dressed conservatively and didn't really suffer (my body doesn't like cold!). The restaurants on the road were kind re requests for Toilet use and the participants (for the most part) were helpful and not pushing ahead as per car traffic Queues.
Once we we off all that was quickly forgotten and it was fun to ride oh_so-familiar paths with no traffic. Have to say the route round Canning Town (where I once lived) to Stratford was a little awkward and until we got off the A102 it was visually pretty boring. As a solo rider I didn't strike up any conversations until the first of two enforced stops to let Ambulances through. Nice guy - a triathlete from Kent - and it certainly added to my enjoyment. Parted company when I stopped at Felstead for a water top up and free Banana and two bags of Crisps. The pre event emails suggested that the timer would be off here but I saw no sign of any entry or exit controls?
Beyond Ongar the roads were mostly new to me. I certainly enjoyed seeing Felstead School as I used to be in business Partnership with an Old Boy and he persuaded me to hire another Old Felsteadian. A sample of two may not prove anything, but I have to tell you they were both nuttier than Squirrel turd! But I digress - something your mind does during a long ride....
I had decided before the event that I wasn't racing and so I stopped at the next Petrol Station for a welcome Wrap, Coffee, Mars Bar and a 12 min queue. Worth it.
By this stage riders seemed to have settled down and it was easier to ride my pace, overtaking was easy and there was room to move to the left to cruise and allow others through. As I'd never ridden this far I took it relatively easy but was still going strong up Stapleford Abbots Hill and into London, could easily have ridden harder. Apart from the well known (and avoidable) surface of the road through Epping Forrest it was a decent ride. As others have stated amazing no's of people were out there cheering and encouraging and it certainly added to the day.

Overall there was only one real prat who, despite being less than half my age (and presumably not needing to irrigate nearly as many trees), kept getting behind me and then aggressively riding through. I last saw him stopped just across the finish line holding everyone up and ignoring the Marshalls requests to keep moving, as he took a selfie!!! I liked the other 19,998 riders.
It only warmed up after midday and I was glad I'd started with a cap, merino undershirt, Gillet, arm warmers and full gloves By the end they were all off.
As I was in a later group I can also report that the road was temporarily closed3X by the marshals to let cars cross as we passed through the Chigwell Row area.
Official time 6hrs and 8 mins.

I then stopped for something to eat and chatted with an ex fireman who'd done several ride 100's. Then took a longer route home via Greenwich and the foot tunnel, which allowed me the opportunity to cheer riders on at the A13, Mile End/Stratford and from the Bridge on the A102M. So the road was still closed as 6pm approached.

Really enjoyed this and stretched day out to 202kms. Hope to do it next year. With an earlier start and without a full stop for food (need to plan nutrition) if I do similar training I feel sure I can beat 5 hrs 30mins.

Final thought. If you are wondering if this is for you.....Yes it is. The range of people taking part is huge and I felt no compulsion to try and keep up with those flying past and saw plenty of apparently less fit riders just enjoying their grand day out.:bicycle:

Apologies this is so long but it will be interesting to read back if I get in next year.

Last edited:

lazybloke

The pre event emails suggested that the timer would be off here but I saw no sign of any entry or exit controls?
The timer units were at the roadside. I never noticed them until a quiet beep drew my attention.

Much better than the system used in 2016, which had timing sensors inside hard plastic mats that spanned the entire width of the road; they were effectively an abrupt speedbump; wouldn't be surprised they caused a few people to fall off!

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The timer did stop inside the feed station at Felsted. I concluded this because my time on the website was less than my clock time by about the right amount.

steverob

Guru
The timer units were at the roadside. I never noticed them until a quiet beep drew my attention.

Much better than the system used in 2016, which had timing sensors inside hard plastic mats that spanned the entire width of the road; they were effectively an abrupt speedbump; wouldn't be surprised they caused a few people to fall off!
Yes, indeed they did. I saw the after effects in my first RL in 2015 - guy on the floor having hit it at a funny angle and gone down on it. Everyone else was routed around it by marshalls, meaning none of us registered a time at that checkpoint.

As it was the first one (20-ish miles) anyone who was following my progress on the official app, saw my avatar come to a standstill around that point, then a few hours later suddenly jump down the road to the 45 mile point where the second timer was!

Final thought. If you are wondering if this is for you.....Yes it is. The range of people taking part is huge and I felt no compulsion to try and keep up with those flying past and saw plenty of apparently less fit riders just enjoying their grand day out.:bicycle:
Great post @Chap sur le velo :okay:
Did this one and in 2016 thoroughly enjoyed both.
As a "Billy no mates" rider(my choice) i did enjoy riding with others and on closed roads.
Be nice to do it again next year on my seventieth year on this planet!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Average speed, but not average height.
https://www.strava.com/activities/7221158231

I saw this chap but he's not the rider who passed me a couple of times. I'm just amazed by these guys. Struggling to use the correct words but averages of 19+ on what look like kids' bikes are just astonishing.

If you know Giles please tell him how impressed I am by his riding. Is the gearing adapted in some way?

Top Bottom