RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I saw this chap but he's not the rider who passed me a couple of times. I'm just amazed by these guys. Struggling to use the correct words but averages of 19+ on what look like kids' bikes are just astonishing.

If you know Giles please tell him how impressed I am by his riding. Is the gearing adapted in some way?

The tyres in the photos are Schwalbe Kojaks . Looking at the sizing I’d say they are the 35-559 tyres, basically old school mtn bike wheel size but with slicks. The cassette and chain rings look fairly standard which they would be for those size wheels / tyres. Plus Giles and his bike will be more aerodynamic than you and your bike.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The tyres in the photos are Schwalbe Kojaks . Looking at the sizing I’d say they are the 35-559 tyres, basically old school mtn bike wheel size but with slicks. The cassette and chain rings look fairly standard which they would be for those size wheels / tyres. Plus Giles will be more aerodynamic than you.

I "think" the rider I saw twice was on a smaller frame. Very hard to tell at 20mph and just glancing at the bike.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Here's a question for those with more experience.

6 weeks ago was fitted for anew saddle. Rode 700km in early part of month including 125 home from Brighton an was very pleased with new purchase. Took it easy in week before event.

But from 80kms or so during this Ride 100 I could feel, erm if not real pain, then some discomfort. I've put it down to an unusually long time spent literally just peddling with no junctions to stop for, or hills requiring me to stand on the pedals. By the end any excuse had me out of the saddle.

Did others find their saddle less comfortable than they expected?

CXRAndy

Guru
A saddle should not really feel so uncomfortable you need to stand very often after a long ride. I use Selle Italia Superflow. It has a large central cutout, very narrow. It's your pelvic sit bones that should take your weight and be the main contact points.
I can use this saddle for multi hour endurance rides. I used said saddle on my MTB bike without padded shorts for a 20 mile commute the other day with now comfort issues
It's suggested to stand, even for only 10secs every 10 mins riding. Easily done whether on the flat or a hill

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I saw this chap but he's not the rider who passed me a couple of times. I'm just amazed by these guys. Struggling to use the correct words but averages of 19+ on what look like kids' bikes are just astonishing.

If you know Giles please tell him how impressed I am by his riding. Is the gearing adapted in some way?

I don't know Giles, but a bit of "flyby sleuthing" confirms I was stuck next to him at Stebbing Green.
I had a look at his bike because I'd noticed his unusual riding position earlier, which looked very low & fast like something Graeme Obree would come up with, but also extremely uncomfortable - it would have sent me straight to the physio!

Pretty sure the gearing was a 1x chainwheel, but not a massive cassette. Didn't notice any branding. Nice paintjob on the frame, shame it had gone down on the tarmac at some point.

Top Bottom