RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I've been told I should enter, I'm not sure. I definitely couldn't do the distance at the moment, I'm just not in as good health as I was in 2014. I guess I could enter then defer if things have not got any better.

When I signed up (drunk) for the inaugural RideLondon I smoked 24 a day, didn't do any form of exercise, hadn't ridden since I was about 12 years old and therefore didn't even have a bike.

Your way ahead of where I was!

100 miles completed come August 2013.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
When I signed up (drunk) for the inaugural RideLondon I smoked 24 a day, didn't do any form of exercise, hadn't ridden since I was about 12 years old and therefore didn't even have a bike.
Your way ahead of where I was!
100 miles completed come August 2013.
Thanks for the pep :-) Unfortunately somewhere between finishing the RL86 and Christmas last year I managed to get a bunch of blood issues (last test was the first I haven't had low red & white cells for 18 months, testing once every 3 months, but they've never worked out why and are currently hoping the next test will also be OK and it'll have fixed itself) which means I have on going lethargy a really bad stamina level, poor immune system and lousy sickness recovery. And I have problems with an infection mucking about with the left ventricle of my heart which has been on going for quite a few months and is currently being 'watched in the hope it clears itself up in the next 6-12 months'. I honestly don't think I could manage a Fridays ride at the moment and RL100 really is probably a pipe dream. But I might go for the ballot and see, my wife wants me to but I think she is in a bit of denial over where my health levels really are, while I'm whining here I tend to try and put a brave face on it as much as possible.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Thanks for the pep :-) Unfortunately somewhere between finishing the RL86 and Christmas last year I managed to get a bunch of blood issues (last test was the first I haven't had low red & white cells for 18 months, testing once every 3 months, but they've never worked out why and are currently hoping the next test will also be OK and it'll have fixed itself) which means I have on going lethargy a really bad stamina level, poor immune system and lousy sickness recovery. And I have problems with an infection mucking about with the left ventricle of my heart which has been on going for quite a few months and is currently being 'watched in the hope it clears itself up in the next 6-12 months'. I honestly don't think I could manage a Fridays ride at the moment and RL100 really is probably a pipe dream. But I might go for the ballot and see, my wife wants me to but I think she is in a bit of denial over where my health levels really are, while I'm whining here I tend to try and put a brave face on it as much as possible.

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you really have to monitor what your body is doing closely. Like you said wont hurt to register for it, and see how your body develops over the next few months.

If things do fall into place for yourself, you will have time to get up to the mileage from February onwards. Obviously your main concern will always be your health so.

sleaver

Veteran
I'll be entering the ballot but it will probably be that of bust for me unless I manage to win a place in some of the competitions organisations do.

I started a part time Masters degree the same time as I started getting divorced and so I've never really had to time to do things. Next month, after 3 and a half years of hard work, it will be finished (and hopefully passed) and so who knows what I will have decided to do sportive wise as there are a lot more than RideLondon.

RideLondon this year was blooming good fun though.

sleaver

Veteran
Good to see that Premier Inn have obviously already looked up the dates for next year.

The weekend before at Westfield, Stratford.

Fri 22 Jul 16 £98.00
Sat 23 Jul 16 £117.00
Sun 24 Jul 16 £84.00

The weekend of at the same hotel.

Fri 29 Jul 16 £149.00
Sat 30 Jul 16 £200.00
Sun 31 Jul 16 £129.00

£200 :thumbsdown:

I just booked the same one as I stayed in this year on a rate that means I don't have to pay until I arrive and that I can cancel up until the day of arrival. It is currently less than what I paid this year and half of Stratford which makes the 20 min warmup ride to the start worth it.

Some may say that I'm thinking ahead a bit to far, but no doubt they will soon put the price up and if I don't do it next year, I'll just cancel the room.

azir

I'm in 2 minds about entering the ballot again - I was meant to ride this year's but became ill on Saturday night (proper ill, all temperatures and shivering and huddling and miserable-ness) so, while I was awake at the time I should have left the house for my ludicrously early start, I could barely stand, let alone ride 100 miles....However, I have realised that I am hugely intimidated by the idea of riding with all those cyclists - even on my commute I often hang back so I lose whatever 'pack' of cyclists might have formed at lights etc. Maybe I'll enter and then face the decision to do it or not if I actually get a place in the ballot...

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm in 2 minds about entering the ballot again - I was meant to ride this year's but became ill on Saturday night (proper ill, all temperatures and shivering and huddling and miserable-ness) so, while I was awake at the time I should have left the house for my ludicrously early start, I could barely stand, let alone ride 100 miles....However, I have realised that I am hugely intimidated by the idea of riding with all those cyclists - even on my commute I often hang back so I lose whatever 'pack' of cyclists might have formed at lights etc. Maybe I'll enter and then face the decision to do it or not if I actually get a place in the ballot...
If it helps, the pack was my biggest worry (I seem to lose all roadcraft when another bike gets close to me on my commute) but while it was a bit of a worry in the 'what's he doing? what's she doing?' way it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be last year. You're never actually amongst 20,000 other people and aside from some of the slopier slopes it's quite easy to make yourself some room by speeding up/dropping back.

I plan to enter just for the pleasure of closed roads and a great atmosphere. Hopefully there'll be more cake on offer in 2016 :okay:
Not unless they bring Mr Kipling on board as a sponsor. (Or I guess you scout out the WI stalls in advance.)

sleaver

Veteran
Not unless they bring Mr Kipling on board as a sponsor. (Or I guess you scout out the WI stalls in advance.)
There was a couple of women at the end of a drive along the road through Box Hill village selling slices of cake.

I actually quite fancied stopping and buying a bit just to give something back as Box Hill village gets hit quite badly with cycling events. However, once I realised they were there, stopping into time without causing a pile up would have been a slight problem :sad:

rb58

Enigma
Some may say that I'm thinking ahead a bit to far, but no doubt they will soon put the price up and if I don't do it next year, I'll just cancel the room.
Why don't you find somewhere south of the river and ride through the Blackwall tunnel or take the cable car? It'll be much cheaper and doesn't take long.

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you have a ballot or charity place? If it was a ballot place, you can request to be deferred to next year - you'd need to call to ask if you can do it now after the event, you might have had to do it beforehand. If you can defer, you just need to make a decision in October whether you want to do it and pay again

sleaver

Veteran
However, I have realised that I am hugely intimidated by the idea of riding with all those cyclists - even on my commute I often hang back so I lose whatever 'pack' of cyclists might have formed at lights etc.
If you enter the ballot, you don't have to pay now and you don't find out until around February next year. So you could find another sportive between now and then to enter and see how you get on with that as there won't be as many cyclists. Then if you get a place, make a choice on if you take it up or not. If you don't take it up, I think it goes back into the places available for the people who get a second chance though donating their entry fee up front.

Or just spend the time between now and February seeing if you can overcome that intimidation what ever way your happy with as it may help with your commute as well :smile:

Top Bottom