RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
Just thought, not that it really matters, but I don't think they have a sponsor for next year yet. The word 'Prudential' was rather absent from their site when I entered the ballot.

Zcapp96

I've entered but as I did it in 2014 and this year (Charity then ballot) I was really unsure as to what to put for the best time as 2014 was only 86 miles!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Just thought, not that it really matters, but I don't think they have a sponsor for next year yet. The word 'Prudential' was rather absent from their site when I entered the ballot.

I seem to recall that sponsorship of the London Marathon ran for renewable blocks of three or four years, so maybe it's the same for RideLondon. Which is not to say that Prudential won't sign up for another stint - I expect there are lots of negotiations currently in progress.

zizou

Veteran
The way to maximise your chances is to enter via the British Cycling club entry - you will need 3 club mates for this, but if you have that then i think you would be unlucky not to get accepted.

Would be cheaper setting up a club just for this purpose, paying the membership fees for 3 mates and also their entry fees than going down the charity entry route. Not that i would like to do charity out of money - you could then donate the savings to a charity of your choice without them having to purchase a charity place (which i believe is considerably more than what the normal entry fee is)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Got in on the ballot in 2013
Didn't get in on the ballot, so did a charity place in 2014
Didn't get in on the ballot, and didn't ride it this year

Fingers crossed for 2016.

I'm also hoping to do the Brompton World Championship race again in 2016, as that was such fun this year.

Norry1

Legendary Member
The way to maximise your chances is to enter via the British Cycling club entry - you will need 3 club mates for this, but if you have that then i think you would be unlucky not to get accepted.

Would be cheaper setting up a club just for this purpose, paying the membership fees for 3 mates and also their entry fees than going down the charity entry route. Not that i would like to do charity out of money - you could then donate the savings to a charity of your choice without them having to purchase a charity place (which i believe is considerably more than what the normal entry fee is)

Can you explain how that increases your chances?

zizou

Veteran
Can you explain how that increases your chances?

The last couple of years there has been an additional ballot (held around April) for club entry of about 400 places.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Well I've entered so see if I get in next year;and I've not donated as it obviously makes feck all differece.
Feck all, of course. (a) You get a jersey if you're unsuccessful. (b) Some of your donation goes to charity, which will make a difference to someone. (c) You will, of course, have read this....

Remember if you do donate your entry fee and you are not successful in the ballot, you get a second chance of entry with 1000 places allocated to just those who donate their entry fee and are unsuccessful. Plus you also get a chance to win a trip for two to the Etape du Tour 2016.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Well I've entered so see if I get in next year;and I've not donated as it obviously makes feck all differece.
2014 I got in on the second chance ballot because I'd offered to donate my entry fee (the lightweight waterproof they were offering seemed like a thing to have but of course you don't get it if you get the place). 2015 I got the Roubaix Jersey instead, which was OK, but the cut is a bit baggy on me and I probably wouldn't have bought it in a shop. Then again I figured donating one entry fee across two years wasn't a lot to spend.

I'm about to throw an entry in, but I'll probably not offer to donate the fee just because I like to actually want what is offered as a commiseration prize and I'm not sure I do this year.

Nobody makes you do it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My brother volunteered this year and has a guaranteed place for next year, which he intends to take up.

I volunteered for LEL last time and recently received my guaranteed place offer.

Happily for the proper distance cyclists who want to do LEL, I won't be taking my place.

sleaver

Veteran
Feck all, of course. (a) You get a jersey if you're unsuccessful. (b) Some of your donation goes to charity, which will make a difference to someone. (c) You will, of course, have read this....
Are you sure @Elybazza61 didn't mean that donating the entry fee doesn't make a difference to your chances in the initial ballot?

Top Bottom