RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2016) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hooray. First pointless spat of the 2016 thread.

zizou

Veteran
The ballot is really very random, there is no 'secret' to it.

It's not random - certain categories are weighted to increase the chance of entry. For example women have a greater chance of entry than men. Which IMO is a good policy although it is being abused by some losers taking advantage and gaming the system (I cant find the link now but there was name and shame blog post last year that looked at the top 20 times from women and matched their numbers to their photos - alot of these women were guys!). It looks to be the same this year.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Likewise, as suspected I didn't offer to donate this year, if I 'won' that Jersey (and I think they've made a mistake by finally showing what you might get, don't remember them doing that in previous years) by not getting in I think I'd be doubly depressed.

Zcapp96

It's not random - certain categories are weighted to increase the chance of entry. For example women have a greater chance of entry than men. Which IMO is a good policy although it is being abused by some losers taking advantage and gaming the system (I cant find the link now but there was name and shame blog post last year that looked at the top 20 times from women and matched their numbers to their photos - alot of these women were guys!). It looks to be the same this year.

It would be so easy to just put a M or F at the end of the numbers or somewhere on the stickers but I wouldn't want to be the marshal stopping someone to just find out they are a very butch and hairy woman!

While out for a long ride the other day I was passed by a moped riding in suspiciously cycle like way (about 25mph constant, then slowed as it when up a hill ahead of me) and I started wondering if he was trying to cheat a strava segment or something like that. That got me on a train of thought and considering the lengths some people do to get in to RL and how determined they are to be one of the fastest would any of them go to the extreme of doping? Might sound silly but to some it is all about being top (This is not a call for drug testing, saying that anyone has doped or anything like that but just wondering if it would happen for a high profile sportive that always highlights the first over the line?)

vickster

Legendary Member
22% of entrants were female (or claimed to be), you've got rather more chance as a bloke claiming to be a bloke on that basis with 78% of places going to males (even if more males enter the ballot)

sleaver

Veteran
It would be so easy to just put a M or F at the end of the numbers or somewhere on the stickers
Someone started talking to me in my start pen and she said she was starting earlier than she should have been as she was a slower rider. While she was in the correct colour pen, she had folded over the letter part so that the marshals wouldn't have been able to tell.

In regards to the Strava thing, there is a thread on her somewhere saying that men say they are women to be at the top of the leaderboards. It must be very manly to be able to say you have QOM's on a lot of segments :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sleaver

Veteran
22% of entrants were female (or claimed to be), you've got rather more chance as a bloke claiming to be a bloke on that basis with 78% of places going to males (even if more males enter the ballot)
Is that 22% of the entire field or 22% of the ballot places?

If the entire field, it is impossible to say what have more chance. Maybe it was 50/50 for the ballot but more males got charity places and so took the split to 78/28.

Everything, expect for photos, is just speculation because RideLondon do not say exactly how the ballot is drawn.

A buddy of mine had an issue with the site freezing on him, when he tried to register at first, last year. He assumed that his registration had failed, so he went again. On the first attempt (he assumed had failed) he used the full version of his first name (as is on his passport). The second time, (which seemed to work) he used a shortened version of his first name, all other things were identical. He got 2 magazines through the post, one success (girl with arms in the air on the front), one unsuccessful (bloke being rained on and looking fed up, on the cover). That's pretty random, the same person both got in, and didn't:laugh:.

I've entered the ballot. If I get a place, good. If not, no problem. I did not pretend to be a woman.
My guess is that's not exactly what's happening. You have to enter under a real name that exists of a person who has photo id, and is willing to schlep down to excel. So my guess is the guys (and perhaps women, too) enter under their own name and ask their spouse to enter as well. So they get two entries and double their chances. If the rider gets in, job done. If not, then use the spouses place if (s)he got one.

sleaver

Veteran
Or even simpler, they just brought a place (even though it isn't allowed) off someone. That someone doesn't even have to go to ExCel. Just give a copy of photo ID and a signed letter and bobs your uncle.

Seeing as I have never had the pleasure of getting a ballot place in anything, what happens if you do get one. Do you just pay the entry fee or can you change anything on your entry such as gender, age, name etc.?

vickster

Legendary Member
Or even simpler, they just brought a place (even though it isn't allowed) off someone. That someone doesn't even have to go to ExCel. Just give a copy of photo ID and a signed letter and bobs your uncle.

Seeing as I have never had the pleasure of getting a ballot place in anything, what happens if you do get one. Do you just pay the entry fee or can you change anything on your entry such as gender, age, name etc.?
You just pay, no you can't change anything as far as I know

Top Bottom