RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
What are you doing posting here instead of the RideLondon-Surrey 99.6 thread then?
In all seriousness, I have a theory about this and @Nomadski may be interested as well.

I've done ride London 3 times and all were varying distances:

2014 - 86 miles
2015 - 100.5 miles
2016 - 99.4 miles

We can discount 2014 as that was the year of Bertha and a life times supply of showers in 5 hours. However, for 2015 and 2016 there is a mile difference and while 100 miles is a long way, you would possibly be pushing it to make that mile by just taking corners wider. Unless there were two routes around quite a wide corner to help ;)

As we know, there are two starts. in 2015 I was in the right hand one and the left one for 2016.

The start route for 2015:

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 21.01.21.png

The start for 2016:

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 21.02.24.png

As you can see, if you start on the left, you have a tighter turn onto the A12 and then a shorter route around the turn, due to using the East Cross Route section, until both sections join.

So that may cause the distance descripency.

Now, if you don't mind, I need to go and get a life :laugh:

steverob

Guru
In all seriousness, I have a theory about this and @Nomadski may be interested as well.

2014 - 86 miles
2015 - 100.5 miles
2016 - 99.4 miles

We can discount 2014 as that was the year of Bertha and a life times supply of showers in 5 hours. However, for 2015 and 2016 there is a mile difference and while 100 miles is a long way, you would possibly be pushing it to make that mile by just taking corners wider. Unless there were two routes around quite a wide corner to help ;)

As we know, there are two starts. in 2015 I was in the right hand one and the left one for 2016.

The start route for 2015: <<picture removed>>

The start for 2016: <<picture removed>>

As you can see, if you start on the left, you have a tighter turn onto the A12 and then a shorter route around the turn, due to using the East Cross Route section, until both sections join.

That 1.1 miles difference is a LOT though - far too much to be explained away by just cutting corners. For example, the two different starts you've mentioned - while they look like they would be very different in distance, turns out they actually only account for about 0.2 miles difference between them, plus I believe some of that would be made back up when the left route has to go the long way round a roundabout a few miles later (near East India DLR station). The only other thing I can think of is that maybe at the drinks stops (assuming you took any) you parked the bike in a rack one year, while the other year you walked round with it and left the GPS running which added on some more miles? Clutching at straws a bit here!

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes

2014 - 86 miles
2015 - 100.5 miles
2016 - 99.4 miles

The start route for 2015:

View attachment 367275

The start for 2016:

View attachment 367276

I've started on both sides, and the only time I ever hit 100 miles was in 2013 when I didn't even start the recording until quite a way down the A12 where the original timing block was....

2013 (Left side, Garmin 800) - 102.2 miles - Started Garmin on A12 itself, as that was where starting chip block was.

2015 (Left side, Garmin 800) - 99.6 miles - Started Garmin on Waterden Road, at starting gate.

2017 (Right side, Garmin 820) - 99.1 miles - Started Garmin on Waterden Road, at starting gate.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Just entered the ballot for 2018 ....
any advice on reasonably priced areas to stay & how far ahead to book *should I be lucky/unlucky*) enough to win a place* would be welcome.

Equally any experience from veterans on how to approach the event, stories/examples of the good bad & ugly too.

Cheers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Book now on a cancellable rate. Look at Ibis, travelodge, premier inn around docklands or east London within 5 miles or so of the Olympic park
Probably find something for £70-100 for the Sat night
If you wait until the places are announced, it could be 50-100% more and limited availability

How to approach? Just ride your bike plenty once you've got a place. Have you ridden 70+ miles before?. It's not a race

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
+1 but avoid "hub by premier inn" that don't allow bikes. At least one tells you to lock up on the street outside :rofl:

Anywhere in eastern Central London would be fine too, with a route to CS2 signposted from various points and usually a river crossing for cycling only (Rotherhithe tunnel in 2017)

Last edited:
Just entered the ballot for 2018 ....
any advice on reasonably priced areas to stay & how far ahead to book *should I be lucky/unlucky*) enough to win a place* would be welcome.

Equally any experience from veterans on how to approach the event, stories/examples of the good bad & ugly too.

Cheers.
This belongs in the 2018 thread

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Book now on a cancellable rate. Look at Ibis, travelodge, premier inn around docklands or east London within 5 miles or so of the Olympic park
Probably find something for £70-100 for the Sat night
If you wait until the places are announced, it could be 50-100% more and limited availability

How to approach? Just ride your bike plenty once you've got a place. Have you ridden 70+ miles before?. It's not a race
Cheers vickster.

65m on a sportive has been my max so far but need something to spur me on.

Will book something regardless of ballot & just have a weekender in little London village.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We stayed in the Marriott West India Quay and would recommend it. Goody bags, early breakfast, ballroom converted to a bike park, member of staff with bike shop experience providing emergency mechanic service. Couldn't have been more welcoming.

Top Bottom