RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Today I serviced and cleaned my bike. Tomorrow I have to put it on a rack for a 250 mile drive. The weather forecast for up here suggests the cleaning was wasted!!

:sad: :sad: :sad:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
mjr thanks for this video. For someone whose Sunday club run usually stops at a hedgerow or if we go upmarket a farm gate this looks like five star luxury!!!!
You're very welcome but it's not my video. I just found it earlier when searching for one of a drinks hub.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I just stick on Route 13 and ignore the roads.

I had business to attend to in Charlton before going to Excel so I used the ferry and rode up past City Airport.

Part of my business in Charlton was picking up the bike I'm using on Sunday - a rather spiffing new Specialized Allez Elite. A bloke saw me with it outside Excel and came over to have a closer look. 'Is that a woman's bike?' he asked. ^_^

He did also say he liked it though.

Reactions: mjr

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Regardless of the inconveniences, the hassle (I had a 7 hour drive culminating in a stressful drive across north London today) and the expense, the day itself is worth it, all of it. So stay positive people, the Olympic park awaits you.

IMG_0372.JPG

:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Had to withdraw due to registration issues. Bit gutted but have been guaranteed a place next year so a bit better planning on my part will be called for ! Enjoy the ride folks

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well just got to our Travelodge at Bethnal Green. Every other person checking in has a bike!!

Disappointed with the signage at ExCel. Came off the North Circular from the M11 and three of us couldn't spot a single sign saying Ride London registration or parking. The organisers need to address that and put up signage for over height vehicles - lots of people arriving with bikes on car roofs. What a surprise!!

At car parks no signage to registration area.

So for a first impression after a 250 mile drive singularly unimpressed.

However once inside the registration area very impressed by how quick and easy registration was. The staff were friendly and helpful. One of our party, not me, forgot her photo ID but it wasn't an issue. Bank card accepted.

Spent 10 minutes in the show. I didn't feel it needed any more time than that.

Roll on Sunday.

Tin Pot

Guru
Had to withdraw due to registration issues. Bit gutted but have been guaranteed a place next year so a bit better planning on my part will be called for ! Enjoy the ride folks
Thats a major bummer, sorry to hear that.

No sign of Tin Pot v3, so as long as tonight goes okay I'll be heading over tot he start line .

Looks like I'll ride over to the Peninsula, get the Skyline across and ride to QEOP.

Adds about 15 miles to the day but I can't be arsed asking for a lift/cab.

Out of the gates at 06:36

IMG_8846.JPG

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

It took me that long to find the exit.

Well just got to our Travelodge at Bethnal Green. Every other person checking in has a bike!!

Disappointed with the signage at ExCel. Came off the North Circular from the M11 and three of us couldn't spot a single sign saying Ride London registration or parking. The organisers need to address that and put up signage for over height vehicles - lots of people arriving with bikes on car roofs. What a surprise!!

At car parks no signage to registration area.

So for a first impression after a 250 mile drive singularly unimpressed.

However once inside the registration area very impressed by how quick and easy registration was. The staff were friendly and helpful. One of our party, not me, forgot her photo ID but it wasn't an issue. Bank card accepted.

Roll on Sunday.

Totally agree. Came down the A1 south then M11. Hit all the traffic in Cambridge adding about 30 mins on. I registered then navigated my way to the end; it was total chaos about 2-3pm, very busy and I just thought f it and then went to the hotel in Woolwich were everyone seems to have a bike and is talking about gels in the cafe.

Were you in a silver VW by any chance with stickers on the rear?

rvw

Guru
Booked into our hotel - Marriott West India Quay - who have turned a big reception room over to bike storage and have goody bags for all riders. Pumps and spares all available for us to use.

They are starting serving a light breakfast early - 4am - as well. Definitely felt welcomed!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Who intends to use the drop bag service? And what will you leave in the bag?

I like the idea of being able to deposit my wallet and car key to collect at the finish, but I daren't risk it. Aside from that, I can't really think of anything else I'm likely to need at the finish.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Who intends to use the drop bag service? And what will you leave in the bag?

I like the idea of being able to deposit my wallet and car key to collect at the finish, but I daren't risk it. Aside from that, I can't really think of anything else I'm likely to need at the finish.
Overnight clothes, the panniers we're using to take them to the start, and the Marriott's goodie bags!

If it looked like being wet I'd want dry clothes at least.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If it looked like being wet I'd want dry clothes at least.

Ah.... different circumstances. I'm driving up in the morning, parking at the O2, then riding back to the car park after, so I'll leave my change of clothes in the car.

Might be hanging around for a while at the finish though, so maybe I'll leave a jacket in the drop bag.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Totally agree. Came down the A1 south then M11. Hit all the traffic in Cambridge adding about 30 mins on. I registered then navigated my way to the end; it was total chaos about 2-3pm, very busy and I just thought f it and then went to the hotel in Woolwich were everyone seems to have a bike and is talking about gels in the cafe.

Were you in a silver VW by any chance with stickers on the rear?

No we were in a Skoda Yeti. Two bikes on roof, one on the tow bar.

Top Bottom