RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
It was miserable at 03:30 getting up and riding in, but it's brightened up. Somewhere near Westcott at the moment after Leith Hill. That was an experience.

Lord I wish people would stick to the left, and look before pulling right.

Lots of grumpy cyclists, saw my first yelling match 24 minutes in. :laugh:

Tin Pot

Guru
I think this was newland's corner
IMG_8852.JPG

U

User33236

I know it's only a Sportive, but it usually makes the news. Nothing on the been yet.
I wish everyone else knew it's a Sportive too. Everyone on TV referring to it as a race and even the official RideLondon app gives 'race time' on their tracker.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I wish everyone else knew it's a Sportive too. Everyone on TV referring to it as a race and even the official RideLondon app gives 'race time' on their tracker.

Loads of racing nutters last year, but there are good and bad bits on the route. I've just been spectating/cheering in Leatherhead where the pace seems universally calm/gentle.

edit: They did look knackered though. Some appreciated a few words of encouragement

Last edited:
U

User33236

Mrs SG did RideLondon today (I never got a place and wasn't paying the money folk wanted for a spot) for the third time and this was the first time she was allowed to do both Leith and Box Hills.

First time was the 'wet' year, last time she was behind the unfortunate bloke who had a heart attack on Leith that resulted in a diversion. I guess persistence pays off and no doubt the coincidence that she moved to Leith in Edinburgh helped :laugh:

U

User33236

My brother is volunteering at the start and riding.

He sent me a message to say it was chucking it down at dog o'clock when he started, but the forecast is for drier later.
Well done to your brother. These are the forgotten hero's without whose participation the event couldn't go ahead or, at the very least, cost entrants a lot more.

Not as fast as I'd hoped for today, 2 bloody punctures and a wet start didn't hep and we got held up for a short time in Kingston (I think) and just before Wimbledon Hill, and why does the so called "following wind" change direction when I'm on the road? ;-) Other than that I thought it was a good day out, pity about the rain at the start, my ride to the start from the excel was bloody horrible!
Hope everyone had good time

Tin Pot

Guru
I saw around 10 people splatted at various points over the course, maybe more - the last guy looked bad with his neck at an angle. Hope all recovered well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you think riding it is hard, try applauding for five hours and shouting silly things! ;)

Seriously, we're all done dusted and either at the station or already home. Only saw one cyclechat bike ;) that I know of, but I saw it twice and I think it counts double. Hope you all got around safely and enjoyed it!

There was a bloke who wiped out on the straight at newlands corner about 11;30. He took out the sign and was muddy as! He was sat up but didn't get a look at the bike as I was busy swerving the sign.

A gorl in the tunnel slipped on the cateyes cue scream and then the crash of a bike, didn't see if she brought anyone else down with her as it was behind me and I wasn't looking back.

One at Kingston which looked bad and another at Wimbledon which looked minor

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My official time came in at 5 hours 38 minutes. My Strava moving time was 5:20:22. Very pleased with that.

Wimbledon climb was excruciating. The other climbs I'm a bit surprised at the fuss about them. Newlands we were up before we knew it, Leith was difficult but mainly because it was so crowded and it was impossible to get a rhythm, Box Hill is easy and what a great surface.

Talking to other riders it was interesting those who are from other parts of the country felt the same about the climbs.

It's a good ride, all seven from my club agree we've had a really good day out. We hope to get back next year.

I saw two bad crashes and plenty of falling off. Overall I thought ride etiquette was good though I did meet a couple who someone should have a word with!

I tried to smile, wave and thank everyone. Marshals were outstanding. The overall organisation was excellent.

We rode three miles from Bethnal Green to the start and counted 14 people with punctures. Some were being helped by people in civvies. Sabotage??

Top Bottom