RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2019) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do you mean the Royal Victoria Dock Bridge? (wikipedia link). In which case, it is as finished as it is going to get - the problem with it is that the lifts up to it keep on breaking down / getting damaged / weren't suitable in the first place (depending on who you speak to).
Ah, so that's what it's called. Yes, that's the one. So it was designed to look like that? That's stupid IMO and I'm not surprised to see an early demise for a bridge that relies on lifts in exposed waterside towers when there are obvious-looking places to land ramps nearby.

steverob

Guru
Ah, so that's what it's called. Yes, that's the one. So it was designed to look like that? That's stupid IMO and I'm not surprised to see an early demise for a bridge that relies on lifts in exposed waterside towers when there are obvious-looking places to land ramps nearby.
Can't disagree there.

Best piece on this, is to read the page on the Royal Docks website about the faults with the bridge (https://www.londonsroyaldocks.com/information-note-on-the-rvd-footbridge/). It is very interesting in that it breaks down what went wrong (basically - everything) and why it isn't going to get fixed any time soon. Although at the same time it does come across as very jobsworthian - not OUR responsibility; we COULD fix it, but someone else promised to pay and we don't want to be held responsible, etc, etc.

Also, I find it funny that they've abbreviated it to RVD, because when I read the article, all I can think of now is the professional wrestler who went by the same initialism!

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Jeez. How much would it cost to run a ferry service instead. Manned by a fearsome ferryman with glowing eyes who demands a single coin in payment. Call it project Charon.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve had emails but can’t see a start time? I could just be blind of course!

(Although I’m likely to defer due to a flare up of knackered knee :sad:)

Last edited:

cliveyp

I’ve had emails but can’t see a start time? I could just be blind of course!

(Although I’m likely to defer due to a flare up of knackered knee :sad:)

You need to take your rider number and cross-reference the pen details in the final instructions. They don't separately list this year.

Top Bottom