RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2019) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
40-50 depending on terrain IIRC.
https://cityviewwheels.com/kalkhoff-integrale-i8/ is up over 100 miles now. I've seen the previous generation get over 80 on low/eco/whatever it's called, so I suspect that's true.

Will they have charging points, can ebikes do 100, genuine question as I'm thinking of getting one when I retire next year
No charging points. I believe the lates greatest road e-bikes can do about 60 miles tops, if there aren’t too many hills in the way. If the battery drains out, you lose assistance, and have a bit more weight to lug around. The lightest road e-bikes will only weigh the same as a non e-bike hybrid or MTB, so losing assistance after the hills won’t be a massive issue.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No charging points. I believe the lates greatest road e-bikes can do about 60 miles tops, if there aren’t too many hills in the way. If the battery drains out, you lose assistance, and have a bit more weight to lug around. The lightest road e-bikes will only weigh the same as a non e-bike hybrid or MTB, so losing assistance after the hills won’t be a massive issue.

I ride with a friend who regularly hits 85+ without charging. Afraid I can't recall the brand other than it's Spanish.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Just signed up with a charity place - NSPCC were asking for £200 which is half the usual. I wonder if they are struggling to use all their allocation?

I've done it 3 times before and enjoyed it - even in the Monsoon year.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just signed up with a charity place - NSPCC were asking for £200 which is half the usual. I wonder if they are struggling to use all their allocation?

I've done it 3 times before and enjoyed it - even in the Monsoon year.

Ooh, interesting. Have got other charities that I'd consider first but that's a V low target.

I’m doing for Naomi house and Jacksplace ( they’re local hospices ). They only asked for a 150 quid minimum pledge as well. The lowest I’ve heard of are a couple of ‘no minimum pledge’ charities, but those places went very quickly. I got my confirmation / registering email from Ride London yesterday, so it’s game on again:okay:. I think the best way to approach the Ride London, is to sign up for a low / no minimum pledge charity, as soon as they start advertising places ( often a couple of weeks after the event) then enter the ballot. If the ballot comes good, defer the place, and ride for the charity, if the ballot doesn’t come good, you’ve still got in anyway, and you swerve the bun fight / scramble for charity places when the results of the ballot are confirmed.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As a past charity rider, this year I have been bombarded with requests to sign up again with ever decreasing minimum sponsorship levels. Most started off at about £750, but a lot are down to £200 now. I am not sure how much their places costs, but I hope they don't lose out on pre-booked places..

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Got a place thru one of works partner charities.

Now got the problem that all nearby hotels are fully booked, or utterly extortionately priced!

Any suggestions a little further afield?

rivers

How far can I go?

Now got the problem that all nearby hotels are fully booked, or utterly extortionately priced!

I'm camping nearby in my van. lee valley camping and caravanning. i believe they have cocoons available

vickster

Legendary Member

I'm staying in the Ibis Styles in Walthamstow, about £80 for the night...I don't know what extortionate equates to for you however
Oh but it's sold out...
Barking Travelodge £83 non flex rate. Stayed there in 2015, 20 mins from start maybe

Last edited:
I have a place in this years RideLondon100. First timer. Riding alone. Turned 50 this year. Wondering if there are any other ladies of similar age/experience doing it? I have been training since Feb, gradually building up speed and distance. I live in Essex but went down to Surrey at the weekend to check out 'the hills'. Managed to make it up Leith Hill and Box Hill in the rain on Sunday, so at least I know what to expect now! I don't belong to a club, and mostly ride alone so am wondering how I will cope with riding in a pack?
Grateful for any help/tips/advice.
Haven't worked out logistics of getting there/back yet. Am hoping there will be somewhere nearby to park?

Top Bottom