RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2019) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is that unusual? I think I've seen a similar email in a previous year or years.

This is the latest I’ve seen that type of email. I’m not surprised that it looks like they may be short on sign ups. ‘New Years resolutioners’ may have boosted the numbers, but with the reputation the event has earned, regarding crashes and deaths, coupled with the fact that the ‘2012 effect’ has diminished, it’s not altogether surprising that the event may have lost its mass appeal a bit.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve had the email too, I think it’s more likely that they want to boost the numbers of those disappointed of not getting in on the ballot so more charity places get taken up.

I’ve had those last minute sign ups every year except the first.

I rode the event for the first four years, the last two were a pain, crashes, hold ups too many riders, ain’t bothered to do it again. Shame, the first year was fab.

They should do the sign up the same as the New York 5 boro’s or the Cape Argus, first come first in.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You were surprised last year (actually year before last) when you got a similar email.

That's the joy of getting older - life is full of surprises............. possibly as the memories decline! :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I’ve had the email too, I think it’s more likely that they want to boost the numbers of those disappointed of not getting in on the ballot so more charity places get taken up.

I’ve had those last minute sign ups every year except the first.

I rode the event for the first four years, the last two were a pain, crashes, hold ups too many riders, ain’t bothered to do it again. Shame, the first year was fab.

They should do the sign up the same as the New York 5 boro’s or the Cape Argus, first come first in.
First come would disadvantage those with jobs or family commitments near opening time, plus generally disadvantage those on slower Internet mostly outside London, plus increase the risk of an overloaded website collapsing embarrassingly, none of which the organisers including London And Partners and London Marathon would want IMO.

The ballot probably has flaws but there seem to be enough first come events already.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
They do have the 200 Club which guarantees 800 riders a place and a VIP experience, for "only" £250 each, although it seems to be only for pairs.

I'd be happy with "first-come, first-served" , preferably with tickets released in phases rather than a single bun fight.
Or just tweak the ballot to prioritise those who have been rejected previously - that would feel fairer than the present system.
And also have a queuing system for any cancellation places.

A charity place isn't bad if you have generous friends/family/employer/colleagues, but I've done two charity rides since 2014 so I'd have to set myself a much bigger challenge before I'd feel comfortable seeking donations again.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I was surprised to receive an email yesterday suggesting I encourage a friend to enter the ballot which closes on January 4th. Clearly fewer than 80,000 entrants to date.

It would be interesting to know how many have entered the ballot so far, but I don't suppose this will ever be made public.
They won't have problems filling the 25,000 spaces no doubt.
I do wonder if it's losing a bit of it's appeal though, as people have said there are always some nasty incidents and scores delayed due to the overcrowding or incidents for later starters.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think the interesting point is the email has been sent. There must be more than 25000 already in the ballot so why reveal it is less than the 80000 cut off?

Poor marketing in my view unless there are fewer than 25000 entrants to date which would be unprecedented drop off for such an event.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Difficult to discuss numbers unless you have details of the breakdown. 200 club. Celebs. BC—affiliated teams. Charity dudes. Ballot plebs. And probably more that I missed.

I don't recall the breakdown ever being revealed.

Top Bottom