RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2019) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
It's quite annoying watching the privileged ones just go to the start of the pen after you have been there ages doing bag drop, then waiting to be allowed to move further on. But if you've got cash or a bit of fame those are the doors that open for you :laugh:

Freds Dad

Veteran
I also received the invite a friend email along with an opportunity to be a VIP for only £250. This is now my fourth attempt to be one of the chosen 25,000 and if unsuccessful again this year I won't be entering again.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Well I wasn't going to do it this year, but I succumbed again and entered the ballot. At least not living in London anymore, it would be more of a fun away day if I get a place.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Most of our group have done it the last three years, It's getting a bit boring now, I would think a lot of others have had enough of it aswel.

Got in last year but conditions were horrible, I would like to have another crack at it on a good day. It was a shame as I had a start just after 06:00 and had a good run at it apart from the weather which affected the time a bit.

Got in last year but conditions were horrible, I would like to have another crack at it on a good day. It was a shame as I had a start just after 06:00 and had a good run at it apart from the weather which affected the time a bit.
Why not do it on another day during the summer? I am not at all convinced that riding on open roads on a normal Sunday is any more dangerous or less pleasant than riding with 20,000+ other cyclists, with time limits and queues.

If you want a medal, I can knock one up for you for #69 (can't find the pound on this keyboard)

Last edited:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Why not do it on another day during the summer? I am not at all convinced that riding on open roads on a normal Sunday is any more dangerous or less pleasant than riding with 20,000+ other cyclists, with time limits and queues.

If you want a medal, I can knock one up for you for #69 (can't found the pound on this keyboard)

:rofl:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

If you want a medal, I can knock one up for you for #69 (can't find the pound on this keyboard)
Its tottally different on closed roads. No stopping for light cars or roundabouts.feed stops along the way. And riding down the Mall with loads of people cheering you on. It is a good day out. Or at least 5 or 6 hrs of fun.

Its tottally different on closed roads. No stopping for light cars or roundabouts.feed stops along the way. And riding down the Mall with loads of people cheering you on. It is a good day out. Or at least 5 or 6 hrs of fun.
It might be totally different on closed roads, though I've watched a video of Box Hill on RL, and it looked distinctly less pleasant than anytime I have driven on it.

The time I finished my first 400km (around 250 miles) I was greeted by the organiser while he was cleaning up. He said "You're 10 minutes late, you've missed the cutoff ..... just kidding, made it with 10 minutes to spare". I had cycled - mostly alone - from the edge of london to the edge of Wales and back again in 27 hours. Maybe my ego is strong, but I didn't need a bunch of cheering strangers.

Anyway @172traindriver has experienced the cheering crowds. He should try it without and tell us the differences.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
It might be totally different on closed roads, though I've watched a video of Box Hill on RL, and it looked distinctly less pleasant than anytime I have driven on it.

The time I finished my first 400km (around 250 miles) I was greeted by the organiser while he was cleaning up. He said "You're 10 minutes late, you've missed the cutoff ..... just kidding, made it with 10 minutes to spare". I had cycled - mostly alone - from the edge of london to the edge of Wales and back again in 27 hours. Maybe my ego is strong, but I didn't need a bunch of cheering strangers.

Anyway @172traindriver has experienced the cheering crowds. He should try it without and tell us the differences.

I do audaxes also?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I did Ride London before Ride London existed. Just after the Paralympics in 2012 I cycled to the Olympic park then rode to Box Hill via every Olympic venue on the way. Then train back to London and home. An excellent day out.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Having lived almost en route for a few years I've done a good 70 miles of the route a few times and while certainly box hill and Leith hill are nicer experiences without the hordes of riders, there is no comparison to doing the other 95 miles during ridelondon.

Tastes will vary I guess.

Top Bottom