RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2019) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It might be totally different on closed roads, though I've watched a video of Box Hill on RL, and it looked distinctly less pleasant than anytime I have driven on it.

The time I finished my first 400km (around 250 miles) I was greeted by the organiser while he was cleaning up. He said "You're 10 minutes late, you've missed the cutoff ..... just kidding, made it with 10 minutes to spare". I had cycled - mostly alone - from the edge of london to the edge of Wales and back again in 27 hours. Maybe my ego is strong, but I didn't need a bunch of cheering strangers.

Of course you don't need strangers cheering you on, but they do add to the atmosphere of the day. They certainly don't detract from the experience.
Big events like the LS100 do everything they can to ramp up the atmosphere, because that makes the day more memorable.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I had to do the "walk of shame" over the finish line when I did the Cavendish Riseabove a couple of years ago.Start and Finish were on closed roads in Chester.I was on the 100 miler and about 30 miles done in Wales and my right cleat snapped:ohmy:I managed to fasten my shoe to the pedal by tightening the pedal to the cleat but it pulled out again a couple of miles later,I was stuck in the Hills and had to walk about 3 miles to get a phone signal then wait for the Broom-Wagon to pick me up.I was walking to the pick up point and bumped into a lady rider in some distress(took too much on) so we waited together for the Broom-Wagon.
On getting back to Chester we were dropped off an then had to walk past the crowd,who to be fair cheered us anyway,to get over the Finish line:blush: I had my medal hung over my neck despite my protests that I'd not actually finished the ride.
My one and only experience with a closed road finish and crowds:laugh::laugh:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I had to do the "walk of shame" over the finish line when I did the Cavendish Riseabove a couple of years ago.Start and Finish were on closed roads in Chester.I was on the 100 miler and about 30 miles done in Wales and my right cleat snapped:ohmy:I managed to fasten my shoe to the pedal by tightening the pedal to the cleat but it pulled out again a couple of miles later,I was stuck in the Hills and had to walk about 3 miles to get a phone signal then wait for the Broom-Wagon to pick me up.I was walking to the pick up point and bumped into a lady rider in some distress(took too much on) so we waited together for the Broom-Wagon.
On getting back to Chester we were dropped off an then had to walk past the crowd,who to be fair cheered us anyway,to get over the Finish line:blush: I had my medal hung over my neck despite my protests that I'd not actually finished the ride.
My one and only experience with a closed road finish and crowds:laugh::laugh:

Well at least you had a broom wagon to wait for!

mark st1

Plastic Manc
F0B15E4D-7EE2-4BA1-9121-A816A0AAC52C.jpeg

All no’s ! A lot about today. Not seen a yes yet out of about 50.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
You a postie?
Yep.

Just found a yes so they do exist :ohmy:

Top Bottom