RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2019) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
by the time we finished I had accumulated 2hrs and 22 mins of non moving time.

If you want a clear run, an early start time gives an advantage - although as I found out in 2016, it can easily be squandered if you stop frequently for cakes. I had mechanical issues too, so ended up stuck behind all the accidents; I was stationary for over 4 hours!

If there's ever a next time:- I'll take a pannier of cake supplies with me, so I can make steadier progress.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I nearly made the mistake of quoting @Holloway55 :tongue:

dickyknees

Guru
Also seemed half the field had bought a new bike to do the ride.

I thought that too.

We got tangled up with kids and families doing the 19 mile ride.

The only moan I would have was the stewards. Mainly kids, many appeared to be sleeping,
I was just about to shout to wake two of them up but the moment passed.

Well just arrived home and I’ve remembered that as we stopped to regroup at the top of Leith Hill we heard a loud shout, saw a marshall run across the road and apparently a tree branch had fallen onto one or two riders!

It seems that what could go wrong on Sunday, did.

I had too many lazy bar stewards sitting on my wheel, then refusing to reciprocate, for my liking. If there’s a big( ish ) pack to sit in with, I’ll use them to save energy, but I wouldn’t latch on to a solo rider, then just sit on their wheel, like a load of people did to me. I don’t know them, I don’t know what sort of rider they are, and I’d rather they didn’t do that. However, as soon as the hills section started I soon shook the wheel suckers off. I also had to laugh at one of the ‘Continental Ride safety captains’ ( yeah right:rolleyes:) coming up on my right, as I was overtaking a wobbler on Leith, shouting “KEEP LEFT”, as I accelerated away from him. Utter buffoon :laugh:. It was still an enjoyable experience to get through London with no traffic, or lights to worry about. Something that did make me giggle though, was that I knew my power meters were getting low on battery, and I packed some replacement batteries, then didn’t change them in the morning:banghead:. Ah well, onto next year. I’m in the ballot for the 100 again, I’ll also sign up for a charity, and if the ballot comes good, I’ll defer to the next year, and ride for the charity.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I had too many lazy bar stewards sitting on my wheel, then refusing to reciprocate, for my liking. If there’s a big( ish ) pack to sit in with, I’ll use them to save energy, but I wouldn’t latch on to a solo rider, then just sit on their wheel, like a load of people did to me. I don’t know them, I don’t know what sort of rider they are, and I’d rather they didn’t do that. However, as soon as the hills section started I soon shook the wheel suckers off. I also had to laugh at one of the ‘Continental Ride safety captains’ ( yeah right:rolleyes:) coming up on my right, as I was overtaking a wobbler on Leith, shouting “KEEP LEFT”, as I accelerated away from him. Utter buffoon :laugh:. It was still an enjoyable experience to get through London with no traffic, or lights to worry about. Something that did make me giggle though, was that I knew my power meters were getting low on battery, and I packed some replacement batteries, then didn’t change them in the morning:banghead:. Ah well, onto next year. I’m in the ballot for the 100 again, I’ll also sign up for a charity, and if the ballot comes good, I’ll defer to the next year, and ride for the charity.

I spend my time looking for decent groups to join and then work hard to stay with them - taking my turn at the front as necessary. It would actually be quicker if you rode with a group you knew and got organised - because the guys at the front often stayed too long, and the power of the group wasn't being exploited. There is a reasonable amount of climbing overall which as you say sorts the groups out :smile:

rivers

How far can I go?
Too many riders whose group riding etiquette was non-existent. No clear communication from marshalls at the start as loads of people were looking for the black gate or as to why Leith Hill closed early. Too many bottlenecks. I won't be riding it again. I'll stick to open roads

groundy74

I had an early start of 6.20am and though the standard of riding was superb this year and far better than Velo Birmingham. I managed to join a decent group (happy to take my turn at the front) and flew through the first 48 miles. Lost the group once the hills start as the added weight is a severe disadvantage on the hills!!
Did see one bad fall on one of the right bends and saw one lad early on being treated by the paramedics. Feed stations nowhere near as good as last year, gutted to have Hi5 instead of Clif, however luckily and had my own feed planned and on packed enough to see me through. Delighted with my time of 4.43 which was 36 minutes faster than last year. I know it's not a race but its good to see the fruits of your training. Raised £1395 for charity and had a great weekend in London.
My second time of taking part and hopefully not my last. Biggest gripe for me was the finish on the Mall is far better coming through the arches but suppose not much could be done about that this year.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Still didn't record 100 miles on my Garmin for this event. I even went round every turn I could the "long way" to see if that reasoning worked out...it didn't.

Recording with GPS + GLONASS satellites still only hit 99.40 miles. Velo Birminghams route had 102 miles recorded.

That's 3 times the full ride has been recorded, and 3 times I haven't "done" 100 miles.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But surely you were nerdy enough to find a place to ride some pointless laps to bump the distance up?

Please don't say you didn't.

Never mind Strava, less than 100 miles (or 160.927km) - it didn't happen. ;)

The route was short this year, for the reasons given above, Garmin computers et. al. always come up short due to the Eastway and Limehouse link tunnel sections anyway. The trick is to start any recording devices at the entrance to the Olympic Park, or better still where you ride in from, and not stop them / turn them off until your well into the Green Park.

Top Bottom