RideLondon - Surrey 100 anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spally

Great video mate. I wasn't going to bother, but having seen yours am thinking why not, its quite a nice momento. Great ride as well, to think you crossed the line a full hour and 10 before the cut off way back in Wimbledon! Stormed it.

OT Anyone else thinking of making a framed thingy for their precious shiny things? Am thinking of retiring the CRUK shirt, putting in the medal, couple of photos, the finish certificate in some kind of frame....Im guessing a framer is who I need to speak to? Not good with this sort of thing.
Defo framing the medal along with the finishers certificate, I may add the charity shirt as well, as that also means a lot to me and the main reason I was doing the ride, can always buy another :smile:

BJH

Über Member
[quote="Nomadski, post:

Its an event worth coming over for, I assure you!

Leith Hill climb northbound is around 1.4 miles @ 6.5%. The gradient doesnt really tell you the whole story as the beginning (up to 0.4 miles) sits under 5% or so for the most part, then goes on a rise / flat /rise / flat / rise kind of gradient hitting around 10% for the most part then a steep bit of 16% near the end. Unless you know whats to come, it can be a little bit of a mind bender as everytime you think your there, another bit comes at you. Its no Alps, but its by far the biggest challenge on this years route.
]
The main thing with any of the hills are where they are. The maximum I'd ridden on a sportive before was 84 miles. I'd mostly done 100 km so the hills on Sunday were at the point where my legs were saying "surely it's time to stop now .... please" but noooo Welcome to Leith Hill. I walked a section of it because I know I can't get out of my cleats when I'm tired and I was tired. They would all be totally doable on a normal pootle. That's why Wimbledon was such a bugger around the 90 mile mark. Normally you'd breeze up it. Good luck in the ballot everyone. No more charity stuff for me for a bit too.[/quote]

You just described my experience with Leith Hill too. Exactly the same, feeling it before although I thought it was longer than you suggest before turning the corner and seeing the welcome to the KOM Leith Hill. It got to my head when I saw a major rise and could see it do it again going forward so unclipped and you know it's going to be game over once you let that happen.
Same experience at Wimbledon, a guy on RCUK said its a blip but felt worse at 90. It's a bit bigger than a blip but that was a slow ride up for me as it was hurting everywhere.

All in all though, the best ride I have experienced and the hairs on the back of my neck were sticking up at the approach to Trafalgar Square. Support incredible all the way around.

Only noticed 2 sad moaners complaining about he ride, most residents were really good about it and seemed up for the party.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
You just described my experience with Leith Hill too. Exactly the same, feeling it before although I thought it was longer than you suggest before turning the corner and seeing the welcome to the KOM Leith Hill. It got to my head when I saw a major rise and could see it do it again going forward so unclipped and you know it's going to be game over once you let that happen.
Same experience at Wimbledon, a guy on RCUK said its a blip but felt worse at 90. It's a bit bigger than a blip but that was a slow ride up for me as it was hurting everywhere.

All in all though, the best ride I have experienced and the hairs on the back of my neck were sticking up at the approach to Trafalgar Square. Support incredible all the way around.

Only noticed 2 sad moaners complaining about he ride, most residents were really good about it and seemed up for the party.

The course was well designed I thought to give you the right challenge at the right time.

Its interesting to hear the French winner of the Classic say it was a more difficult route than when he did the Olympics the year before. I know they did Leith Hill 3 times (plus a little bit of a longer loop there) making it 40 miles more than us, but it puts into perspective at least what a decent challenge it was to the mortals among us, and why we should be dead proud of our finishing time, whatever that was.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Did anyone see anything that made them laugh on the ride.

I saw two very young children sitting on chairs in thier driveway near Hampton Court still wearing thier pyjamas cheering riders on, a bit further up the same road a woman wrapped up in a big white towline dressing gown with a mug of tea.

Then at Newlands Corner a bloke hung his bike up next to mine, got out a packet of ciggies and lit one up!

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Did anyone see anything that made them laugh on the ride.

I saw two very young children sitting on chairs in thier driveway near Hampton Court still wearing thier pyjamas cheering riders on, a bit further up the same road a woman wrapped up in a big white towline dressing gown with a mug of tea.

Then at Newlands Corner a bloke hung his bike up next to mine, got out a packet of ciggies and lit one up!

I saw the obligatory 'guy dressed as a squirrel' early on near Tower Hill, then the Leith Hill residents shouting "not far to go" and someone shouting back "you lot have been saying that for half a mile!"

Fortunately didn't hear any moaning minnies, just a mass of very supportive locals all the way along that seemed to be enjoying an unusual day.

A very strange guy was randomly singing out little lines from different songs going up Newlands Corner, I think he was showing off he had the lungs or something, I made it my mission to beat him up the hill, which I did.

Spally

I was around you at that time then, unless someone else shouted the same thing back at a different time lol. I did hear the odd laugh or " is he really stopping for a fag" as I stopped on the verge just before newlands, I think, to text the other half to tell her I was around halfway :smile:

Snail Bait

Just sorted the times high to low. Only 1200ish slower than me. I am definitely doing better than that next year. Wish I could sort by age too but I fear I'm just grasping at straws and have to admit you get out what you put in and using a scooter to get to work might have been where I went wrong in my training regime. ;)

Longshot

Just sorted the times high to low. Only 1200ish slower than me. I am definitely doing better than that next year. Wish I could sort by age too but I fear I'm just grasping at straws and have to admit you get out what you put in and using a scooter to get to work might have been where I went wrong in my training regime. ;)

But you DID it! There's no time engraved on your medal!

Longshot

IA very strange guy was randomly singing out little lines from different songs going up Newlands Corner, I think he was showing off he had the lungs or something, I made it my mission to beat him up the hill, which I did.

Was that an older guy? If so, he passed me on the way up Newlands as well.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Got my pics through yesterday - here are a few.

web-RLDC0507_zpsfa2ecb20.jpe

web-RLAK2061_zpsf0963024.jpe

web-RLBH3364_zps82716e22.jpe

web-RLDF1091_zps90a36cde.jpe

Not had my video through yet.

Top Bottom