RideLondon - Surrey 100 anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Guys,for those who are likely to be entering the ballot for next years RideLondon, I would try and agree a banding time for everyone to put down on their application to get the best chance of being grouped together as much as possible. I know from last years one its not exactly scientific (some put down faster time than I did, yet put in a later group) but it makes sense to at least try, if you want to be in a cyclechat group of course.

There may be different groups out of this, as Im sure the really fast members (those sub 5 hour monsters!) will probably want an earlier start again. But I'm thinking of putting 6hrs 30 down this time (as opposed to 8 hrs last time round).

Longshot

Guys,for those who are likely to be entering the ballot for next years RideLondon, I would try and agree a banding time for everyone to put down on their application to get the best chance of being grouped together as much as possible. I know from last years one its not exactly scientific (some put down faster time than I did, yet put in a later group) but it makes sense to at least try, if you want to be in a cyclechat group of course.

There may be different groups out of this, as Im sure the really fast members (those sub 5 hour monsters!) will probably want an earlier start again. But I'm thinking of putting 6hrs 30 down this time (as opposed to 8 hrs last time round).

I'm happy to put down 6.30

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I would like to try and do it in under 6 next year, if I get in on the ballot. The chap I was riding with did it 6:01 and had I stayed with him (punctures notwithstanding) I reckon I could've done it in under 6.

Longshot

I would like to try and do it in under 6 next year, if I get in on the ballot. The chap I was riding with did it 6:01 and had I stayed with him (punctures notwithstanding) I reckon I could've done it in under 6.

Putting 6.30 shouldn't stop you going faster if you wish - it just means we stand more chance of starting together.

Kies

What was your average speed to get 6:30 ish for the whole ride? I can do 30 miles at an average of 17mph and that is riding alone

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
What was your average speed to get 6:30 ish for the whole ride? I can do 30 miles at an average of 17mph and that is riding alone

I didn't do it on 6.30ish, I had two punctures, I did it in 7.12 in the end, I got a bit despondent at having lost time fixing stuff, that I stopped and had a cup of tea at the village hall in Box Hill. My average speed would need to be 18.5 to get round in less than 6 hours.

zizou

Veteran
At the Etape series of events you can enter a password so you can get allocated in the same wave as other enter the same password (and who are down for the same estimated time. Allows clubs to ride together if they choose, would be good if a similar feature was available on monday.

For this years event i knew 7 people who entered the ballot (all with the 5 hour estimated time), 2 of us got in but we were 90 minutes apart in terms of starting wave so didnt see each other before or during the ride which was a shame.

Spally

next year i'm going to hopefully get a later start again. part of the day for me was the crowd and if you go off to early i will miss that.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
At the Etape series of events you can enter a password so you can get allocated in the same wave as other enter the same password (and who are down for the same estimated time. Allows clubs to ride together if they choose, would be good if a similar feature was available on monday.

For this years event i knew 7 people who entered the ballot (all with the 5 hour estimated time), 2 of us got in but we were 90 minutes apart in terms of starting wave so didnt see each other before or during the ride which was a shame.

I think what happens is they look at everything from age to previous rides (during application it will ask you what rides you have done and in what time etc) not just the estimated time, to give people a slot.

It did seem a bit random to me, but there must be some system they are using.

It certainly wont guarantee getting in same group, but its one less thing against us.

OK, so who is going to start the 2014 thread??

Just done.

We're moving boys and girls!

Top Bottom