Rider down - my son

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Scary! Glad he's OK. Hooray for the Emergency services and the NHS.

My 12yo had a crash yesterday evening - he landed on his head at speed following a downhill jump when a branch got caught in his wheel. Cue ambulance, body board and the rest.
Thanks to @Richard A Thackeray who was on hospital duty at the time. We'll have to meet up properly Richard rather than me being a concerned parent when we spoke.
It was you, a familiar looking face, whom I noticed first, then checked the Patient listings, & saw the name
As you no doubt realise, I wasn't being stand offish, but didn't want to intrude too much

Thank heavens he's OK.
Top marks to Dr Thackary-Kildare
And a big thumbs up to Dr Dick.....

Nope!, but there were some good Senior Doctors on last night, I'd trust them with my daughters life

Indeed, we shall
One of my collegues, who I believe you may know, is a 'thorper', but wasn't there last night

D

Deleted member 1258

Glad he didn't do himself any major damage, my best wishes for a quick recovery.

postman

Legendary Member
Get well soon youngman.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks all. He's up and moving fine today although a bit gingerly.

And before you ask "how's the bike", the X-Wing was returned to us this morning. Apart from a buckled rear wheel and bent mech hanger it's fine. He took the impact of the fall with his head and the bike simply bounced away.

I'm aware the helmet debate has both sides - but it's another vote of confidence for the Uvex helmets I buy for the family.

D

Deleted member 26715

Good to hear, his health that is, staying away from the helmet debate

Thanks all. He's up and moving fine today although a bit gingerly.
Excellent!!
What time did you get out?
Was it just x-rays, or a CT as well?
The Consultant, who was on last night, rides too, & commutes in sometimes (from twixt Selby & Brotherton)

I'm aware the helmet debate has both sides - but it's another vote of confidence for the Uvex helmets I buy for the family.
I won't get into it either, but I have seen 'both sides of the (helmet/no helmet) fence' over the past 20 years, I've been at PGH

(presume he was at a race/training session, so he'd have had to wear it anyway?)

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
In my own son's case, he nutted a tree trunk with a glancing blow but the bike somersaulted hard enough that we found one of his bidons lodged in the hedge about five feet up the bank. The "brow" of his helmet bore scuff marks and the side was broken; he had some scuff marks and bruising to his jaw and temple. If the blow, with helmet, was hard enough to KO him for a couple of minutes I shudder to think what would have happened without a helmet. I have also gone OTB hard enough to leave an imprint of the texture of the road in the helmet shell and for me to see stars. Again, I shudder to think what would have happened if that chunk of styrofoam hadn't been there to absorb and spread the impact.

Top Bottom