1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rider down - my son

Discussion in 'Cyclocross (CX), Duathlon and Triathlon' started by DCLane, 12 Apr 2017.

1. Excellent!!
    What time did you get out?
    Was it just x-rays, or a CT as well?
    The Consultant, who was on last night, rides too, & commutes in sometimes (from twixt Selby & Brotherton)

I won't get into it either, but I have seen 'both sides of the (helmet/no helmet) fence' over the past 20 years, I've been at PGH

(presume he was at a race/training session, so he'd have had to wear it anyway?)
    Last edited: 12 Apr 2017
    Rocky likes this.
  2. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

In my own son's case, he nutted a tree trunk with a glancing blow but the bike somersaulted hard enough that we found one of his bidons lodged in the hedge about five feet up the bank. The "brow" of his helmet bore scuff marks and the side was broken; he had some scuff marks and bruising to his jaw and temple. If the blow, with helmet, was hard enough to KO him for a couple of minutes I shudder to think what would have happened without a helmet. I have also gone OTB hard enough to leave an imprint of the texture of the road in the helmet shell and for me to see stars. Again, I shudder to think what would have happened if that chunk of styrofoam hadn't been there to absorb and spread the impact.
  3. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Hmm. Interesting thread. Do you get 14 inch turbo trainer tyres? Afraid to let my progeny outside.
    Saluki likes this.
  4. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Well one benefit of my lad having injured himself is that he is now quite circumspect when cycling or skiing. Wisdom has arrived early.
    fossyant and Saluki like this.
  5. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Glad he's ok...

Things have changed.
    I had a big tumble as a kid...one of thousands..i told the teacher I was in a lot of pain..
    I was put in a 4 wheel kids trolley and taken off the field to the reception and left in the trolley legs and arms hanging over the sides..
    Mum arrived..shouted at me for wasting her time..
    Put in a car and off to A&E..more anger from mother..
    4 hrs later I was in a full leg cast tib and fib fracture..concussion ..and severe sprain too my wrist...ahh well.
    Saluki likes this.
  6. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

DCLane likes this.
  7. cyberknight

cyberknight Guru

South Derbyshire
    Training him well then, were his fist words "hows my bike ? "

GWS to mini dc !
    DCLane likes this.
  8. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

Glad your son and the bike are ok. NHS doing their job again as usual and hope this bunch of government monkeys don't mess it up.
    Kids are made of rubber. I know I certainly was given some of the accidents I walked away from.
    Mrs M, Saluki, DCLane and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Glad to hear he's on the mend, DC.

Get him back in the saddle asap. :smile:
  10. OP

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Yes, first outdoor cross session of the year.

We were around around 11.30pm, no x-rays or CT scan due to his age just a lot of checking. Apart from him waiting a long while the doctor was kind - please pass on our thanks to Angela.

No to 14" turbo tyres but his club-mates ride rollers on 20" ones ^_^

Not yesterday but today on seeing his X-wing was "is that all the damage, it bounces well". I hadn't even posted a photo of the build.

We will. Whether he races on Friday at York is still to be seen depending upon recovery but he wants to as he wants to use this in anger for the first time:

fossyant, Pat "5mph", Mo1959 and 3 others like this.
  11. Dave7

Dave7 Veteran

OUCH!!!...........I really hated it any time I saw one of my kids get hurt so really feel for you. Glad the outcome has been a good one.
    DCLane likes this.
  12. Dec66

Dec66 Über Member

West Wickham
    Ouch. GWS DCL Jnr.

And, what do you do when you fall off the bike? You get straight back on. Well, when your napper stops hurting, obviously.
    DCLane likes this.
  13. Asked as a rhetorical question to Bruce Wayne, twice in the same film

I also thought of this Calvin & Hobbes cartoon:whistle:

Dec66 likes this.
  14. Salad Dodger

Salad Dodger Veteran

Kent Coast
    Kids, eh? They can put years on you......

I am pleased to read that he is not too badly injured.
    DCLane likes this.
  15. I suspect the helmet data would be much clearer if the you restricted the population of studies to 12 year olds riding cyclocross.
    Ajax Bay likes this.