Rider etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
al78 said:
I guess hiking/rambling is not one of your hobbies then?

But there is no need for those who share a common interest to say 'Hi' to each other, even hiking. I remember a dawn solo hike up Snowdon, no one about, beautiful clear skies above the clouds. Some tosser in red socks wanders up and want's to start a conversation, I just turned the ipod up and ignored him. He seemed upset for some reason.

We all head into the great outdoors for different reasons, sometimes it's to get away from folks.

It's cool that's some folks say hi and like to be sociable to others. It's also important to recognize not everyone is like you.

amaferanga

Veteran
I generally find that its folk on mtbs/hybrids that are least likely to return my waves, but I can't say it bothers me.

With regard the comment about triathlon/middle aged warrior type (I'm neither btw) - there are times when I'm on a hard training ride when I might not notice another cyclist until its too late or I just can't be arsed as I'm focused on the effort I'm putting in. I acknowledge MOST cyclists I meet, but not everyone. I don't feel under any obligation to acknowledge every single cyclist I ever see.

Commuting through the city I don't bother acknowledging other cyclists, I'd rather concentrate on the traffic around me and the pot-holed road.

And I must say that if some cyclist waved to me, I didn't return their wave, and the cyclist then chased after be to berate me for being ignorant I'd think they were an absolute loon.

jimboalee

BearPear said:
Manners cost nothing, and there's that bit in the Aristocrats where the little kitty says "if you don't something nice to say, don't say nuthin' at all".

I think what you describe goes beyond manners, I think that it is male bravado - I doubt that you'd get a couple of women reacting to a blow-off like this.

Aristocats. Disney 1970.

Here's another quote..

"Ladies don't start fights, but they can finish them!".

Brahan

Über Member
Lots of people, cyclists or not, are rude. It's just the way they are. Also, even the politest folk have bad days and can often react of of character.

Just let the legs to the talking.

I once had a guy sit on my wheel for about 2 miles on a gradual uphill. I had a full rack and panniers and was working pretty hard, so could have done with him taking a turn. Almost at the end of the uphil section, about to enter the town and he comes past like the clappers, full on sprint mode and puts a 30 yd gap between us. Bugger, so I dig in like mad and only just manage to pass him as we get to a roundabout where we go our seperate ways.

I said, 'ha' as I went past him.

I'm dying to see him on the road again.....

Hont

Guru
Seems to be two issues here.

1) the waving/acknowledging thing. I think it's nice to share some camaraderie out on the road. I don't blame someone for not initiating a greeting - each to his own - but if someone says hello and you ignore them, that's just rude.

2) Ego. Clearly the riders in some of these examples cannot stand to be overtaken by someone and it's that, more than manners, which drives their actions. That's rather sad really.

davidg

the likelihood of two people saying hello reduces the nearer to London that you get. If you are in London forget it!

I tend not to be bothered by those drafting off me as I am out to do my own thing...yesterday on a sportive this chap was drafting on all the flats etc, but as soon as we hit a hill we went off! then later on I would catch him up and he would be drafting again!

paraphrasing, I am crap at hills!

GrasB

Veteran
davidg, he was just saving himself for the hills or just lacked real power.

I had a guy today shout at me something at me, I assume it's because I didn't respond to his wave... I was very aware of him but I was a little busy picking my way through the bumps, dips & crests in the road at 35-40mph.

davidg

yeah, I didnt have an issue with him. In fact I was quite pleased that I was catching him up after the hills.

obviously I would have preferred to give him a "look" on the hill and start dancing on the pedals, but at 90kg that's not happening!!!

al78

Guru
marzjennings said:
But there is no need for those who share a common interest to say 'Hi' to each other, even hiking. I remember a dawn solo hike up Snowdon, no one about, beautiful clear skies above the clouds. Some tosser in red socks wanders up and want's to start a conversation, I just turned the ipod up and ignored him. He seemed upset for some reason.

We all head into the great outdoors for different reasons, sometimes it's to get away from folks.

It's cool that's some folks say hi and like to be sociable to others. It's also important to recognize not everyone is like you.

Yes I can imagine that someone trying to converse with you when you want to be alone would be annoying, however that is somewhat different to a smile and a cheery "Hi" in passing.

Mind you, if I really wanted to be alone, I wouldn't choose Snowdon to go hiking around, probably Knoydart, the Fisherfield Forest or somewhere equally remote.

al78 said:
Yes I can imagine that someone trying to converse with you when you want to be alone would be annoying, however that is somewhat different to a smile and a cheery "Hi" in passing.

Mind you, if I really wanted to be alone, I wouldn't choose Snowdon to go hiking around, probably Knoydart, the Fisherfield Forest or somewhere equally remote.

Knoydart is on my list of places to hike and get lost, I've had friends show me some fantastic pictures of the place. Very nice.

jimboalee

I worked in South Carolina for a while. ( The only commute cyclist the factory had ever seen ).

There is Greenville SC, Ashville NC, Knoxville Tennessee, Chattanooga and Atlanta GA.

The area of land between these towns is called the Chattahoochee National Forest.

It is a stretch of woodland,,, The size of WALES.... Don't get lost !!!

There is sod all to do except learn to play the banjo. :wacko: and b**g*r visitors.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once spent two weeks zig-zagging through Knoydart as a joint leader for a Brathay Exploration Group trip. We carried all the kit and picked up Raven 2-man/day food packs at pre-arranged dumps. I had a spooky experience one moonlit night in one of the remoter glens.

jimboalee

One Saturday, I drove to Ashville NC and rode the Blue Ridge Parkway to Linville.

Every now and again, I heard the crack of a hunting rifle. After a few, I started looking round for bits of trees falling where the bullet may have hit.

I thought "If I see even a twig fall, I'm turning round".

Top Bottom