Rider etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

Out training this morning and i'm keeping the effort around 70-75% MHR and enjoying the ride. I see another rider up ahead and slowly but surely overhaul him and as I do so give out a cheery Good Morning. I get a grunt back so I say alright? and he replies with a very surly yeah.

OK I thought don't say anything just carry on. About 200 yards further on there are two horse riders and as I get closer to them I look behind me to check out for any cars before getting out wide and this other guy is on my wheel. Get past the horses and after another 50 yards he goes past me, without saying a word.

This is where my reactions may differ from most others. I shout out you're 'aving a laugh mate and as he gives me a backward glance I stick it in a big gear and give it everything for a 100 metres then keep it going as best I can. A look at the HRM and it's gone up to 174 bpm and my MHR is 176. A mile later and my HR has steadied @ 168. Within a couple of minutes I got within a mile of home and eased off to warm down. Never saw him again.

Is that bad form or what?

lukesdad

Had a similar sort of thing on ahill on the gower,couple of months ago. Caught this chap and, as I passed cheery wave and hello. In return Grunt and a few expletives!
I didnt look back for a bit but could sense he was trying to hold my wheel. Then.... Arrghh ! and... " F U mate" Didnt see him again.

When I posted account everybody seemed to say forget about it ! But I think you re right it is bad form! Perhaps we shouldn t be so cheerfull ! Dunno......

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
Bill you must be losing your touch, should have sensed he was in your wheel right away:biggrin:

My bike rattles around a bit (knackered headset - a bit loose) and as the road surface was a bit rough I couldn't hear him. I don't mind someone taking my wheel but then with no sort of friendly banter or acknowledgement to then ride past having sheltered and got a second wind was taking the mick.

OK I thought lets see you get on my wheel now you tosser, when you've got a gap to bridge and it's going to hurt you because it's definitely hurting me.:becool:

toroddf

Always say hello to a fellow cyclist. That is the minimum requirement for a civilized human being.
I have even changed a tube for a female cyclist. That without asking for her name or telephone number. Changing tubes and helping out others is just one of those things you do as a gentleman rider. Fat, ugly and repugnant........ but still a gentleman.

BearPear

Veteran
Manners cost nothing, and there's that bit in the Aristocrats where the little kitty says "if you don't something nice to say, don't say nuthin' at all".

I think what you describe goes beyond manners, I think that it is male bravado - I doubt that you'd get a couple of women reacting to a blow-off like this.

Trek Trauma Chris

lukesdad said:
Yes....but, thats the point isn t it. Manners.

This may be the wrong place to reply to this, but is this not the case of society in general today or at least the younger branch of it.

In Cornwall, in my experience anyone under the age of 40 will not acknowledge you at all when out riding. Yesterday went out for 30 mls, saw 2 riders approaching me, same kit, bikes, etc, didn't recognise it as club colours so whether they were semi-pro or pro I dont know, I shouted out hello some yards before passing, they had to have heard me, yet they just looked at me as if I had swore at them, no acknowledgement, gone.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
toroddf said:
Always say hello to a fellow cyclist. That is the minimum requirement for a civilized human being.
I have even changed a tube for a female cyclist. That without asking for her name or telephone number. Changing tubes and helping out others is just one of those things you do as a gentleman rider. Fat, ugly and repugnant........ but still a gentleman.

Can't say i agree fully, just because someone chooses the same hobby or mode of transportation as you doesn't mean they are obligated to speak to you, and it doesn't make someone a bad person if they don't initiate pleasantries. You don't wave to every motorist you pass in your car or greet everyone you walk past when on foot. People seem to assume if someone rides a bike that they consider themselves a cyclist when half these people probly have not given it a second thought and think of you as traffic and nothing more.

It's nice to help a cyclist out or to say hi like you do but just because they are on 2 wheels doesn't mean they are obligated to speak to you. Id consider myself quite a polite person but I hardly ever initiate small talk with other people out on the road.

I understand bills frustrations though, because in my eyes his situation isn't just the lack of a dignified response but someone who isn't polite enough to exchange pleasantries with him then expecting a tow to save some energy to reclaim his ego by taking bill later. I'd have don't the same and blazed him if my legs were able. If not of have tried real hard and made him work for it.

toroddf

A "hello" is not small talk in my book. It is only a five letter word. But I sometime also use "hi". That is a two letter word. Most of this is followed by a wave. That is a wrist bended two times in a 1/1 set rhythm.

Most of this is methods used by my and I referred to it in my post.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Dont get me wrong, im not saying that exchanging pleasentries isnt a good thing, but people involved with cycling always seem to expect aknowledgment from other cyclists, ive never, in any other hobby/interest/group found people expecting this of other people who share their interests (obviously there probly are other gorups out there that do it but non i have encountered). Whats so different with cycling that all cyclists must aknowledge each other?

Some people like to say hi to all and sundry, others dont. In general its not a big deal.

Bandini

I think the 'expectation' of acknowledgment may because we are a small group of road users with a common mode of transport. I don't really care if someone ignores me - I certainly wouldn't berate them or start stalking them!

I say smile and nod/say/right' or hello or say nowt according to the rider. I am a polite person, and would smile and say hello to all - but you can often see if someone is not likely to return a greeting by their demeanor I reckon.

Don't like to stereotype, but the triathlon/middle aged warriortype tend to be the most po faced - I just chuckle if I give a nod or whatever and get blanked by them - they are funny!

al78

Guru
Rob3rt said:
Dont get me wrong, im not saying that exchanging pleasentries isnt a good thing, but people involved with cycling always seem to expect aknowledgment from other cyclists, ive never, in any other hobby/interest/group found people expecting this of other people who share their interests (obviously there probly are other gorups out there that do it but non i have encountered). Whats so different with cycling that all cyclists must aknowledge each other?

I guess hiking/rambling is not one of your hobbies then?

Norm

al78 said:
I guess hiking/rambling is not one of your hobbies then?
Or ridden a motorbike. Or a horse. Or driven a Porsche, or a Land Rover Defender, or a Spitfire, or a 2CV or a... well, there's plenty of others.

In fact, most everything I do (as well as the above, I'd include photography, archery, sailing, popping out to the pub...) is likely to involve having a quick chat if you find a fellow participant.

However, I don't acknowledge others as cyclists but as people. When out on the bike, I'll happily wave and chat to just about anyone with whom I could share a greeting, whether they are cycling, running, walking, riding horses, boating or sitting outside the pub.

I don't want to say it too loud but I've even been known to say Hi to drivers of cabriolets if waiting at lights. :biggrin:

Top Bottom