Ridgeback Solo -£399 at cycle surgery (just got one!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calypsored525

Quick heads up on a decent deal at the mo

Just bought my first fixed gear for winter commuting and my first ever new bike!

Usually buy my bikes 2nd hand but cycle surgery got these at 399 in there sale (56cm and 58cm) so just went for new especially as second hand are getting 250-350.

Have been undecided over the condor tempo, kona paddy wagon and the ridgeback solo so just hoping I'm happy with my choice.

Tharg2007

Veteran
nice bike, steel too :smile:

MajorMantra

That's a very good price on a new one. I've got a Genesis Flyer which is basically the same bike without the mudguards - it's great fun to ride.

Matthew

OP
OP
C

calypsored525

TBH I havent sat on one but as long as it is a traditional frame then 56cm should be fine for me at 5,10. I was under the impression that with fixed due to the constant spinning of the legs its better to be on a slightly smaller frame than what you ride geared but dont know if thats true in the real world.

Would love to have been on the ball when Evans had their warehouse fire as all that was different was non standard handlebar tape apparantly.

However with bike prices having leaped by hundreds since 2008 I can live with 399. I think cycle surgery must have a connection with ridgeback as last October they had a cracking deal on a Ridgeback Panorama touring bike for 699 which set you back 1200 now.

Just got to bring myself to use a new bike through winter

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
So it's got a flip flop hub then? Can't see anything in the specs that suggest it - just mentions the 18T SS/Freehub :smile:

RedBike

It's a cracking bike for £399.

My only complains are the brakes are rubbish. (Guess i've been spoilt by Dura-ace,) removing the rear wheel with the mud-guards set close to the rear wheel is a nightmare and my saddle (Which is different to that pictured/ listed) is too large and heavy. - All minor easily corrected issues.

The bikes a bit on the heavy side. Not that it really matters.

RedBike

Sittingduck said:
I know we've just med Redbike but what's your inside leg measure? :tongue:
I'm 5'9" also but tiny 29 inchers :sad:

31".

I was more or less between sizes but I prefer a larger frame. You can probably get away with either size but with it being fixed you tend to dismount with the pedals and frame at odd angles so it's probably better to play on the safe side and avoid singing soprano.

RedBike

Sittingduck said:
So it's got a flip flop hub then? Can't see anything in the specs that suggest it - just mentions the 18T SS/Freehub :tongue:

Yes, I'm not sure sure if there's a thread for a locking nut both sides.
Definately possible to run a singlespeed sprocket and a fixed. Thats what i'm doing now.

BTW, flipping the hub over isn't as simple as it sounds.
You have to mess around with the mud-guards to get the wheel off.
Then get everything straight and the brakes re-adjusted

It's a 10min job. Not something you'll be wanting to do mid ride too often.

OP
OP
C

calypsored525

Its a flip flop hub but the bike comes only as a single speed so you have to get your own fixed sprocket. Suits me as I'm not sure of the size I'll need commuting with panniers

OP
OP
C

calypsored525

Yeah I realised mudguards would be a problem with track ends. The Condor Tempo has horizontal droupouts instead for that very reason I guess. RedBike are you actually taking the mudguard off the rear to get the wheel off or just pushing it aside?

RedBike

If you set the guard up so there's quite a big gap (between the tyre and guard) at the back then you can just about slide the wheel far enough back with the guard in place to remove the wheel.

You can't just push the guard aside as the supports are always in the way.

I'm running 48*18 fixed wheel with panniers and there's some BIG climbs on my commute. I'm definately over-geared like this but any lower and my poor legs would never keep up down the hills. (They don't keep up on the steeper bits as it is!)

Set up as a single speed I would be content with a much lower ratio.

I have a few new 19t fixed wheel sprockets (black) going spare. Yours for free if you agree to send me in return any sprockets (ratios) you try and then decide you don't like.

Top Bottom