Ridgeback world voyage touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I'm am looking to do my first long (ish) tour this summer, I'll be riding from Manchester to my parents house in alicante (Spain) And I was thinking of getting a steel frame tour bike.

Since my budget for the whole thing is not massive I don't really want to spend a lot of money so I have the opportunity of buying a ridgeback world voyage from 2009 for £300. The question is, is the bike worth it? And, will it be good enough for that kind of trip?

Probably the questions are a bit stupid but I'm quite new in touring and would like some advise to make sure I'm not getting the wrong thing
I'll leave a photo, I suppose it'll help
$_3.JPG

Thanks everyone!
Pedro

OP
OP
P
In addition the bike comes with schwalbe marathon tyres fairly new
$_1.JPG

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a bit steep for a bike that could be acquired for £425 when new 8 years ago, which is what I paid for mine. Retail was about £550-600, but many outlets were undercutting that significantly. Whether you feel it is worth it only you can answer, but I'd be bidding them a lot lower than 3 ton.

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
Reasonable price imo if it's in good nick, and perfectly capable touring bike. RRP is about £850, you can buy new for £600-700 for old stock - bike prices have gone up quite a bit in 8 years. Newer ones come with a velcro strap to keep the pump in place and stop it coming adrift and going into the spokes.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Good touring bike, will do the job and more.
Price seems a bit steep for an 8 year old bike.
I bought a brand new Voyage in 2015 (rrp £799) for £500.

Drago

Legendary Member
They are great bikes. I only parted with mine as when I bought my Pinnacle a couple of years later I found that more suited to light, fast touring, that I was doing at that time. For the journey the OP is proposing the Ridgeback would be well suited.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hello,

I'm am looking to do my first long (ish) tour this summer, I'll be riding from Manchester to my parents house in alicante (Spain) And I was thinking of getting a steel frame tour bike.

Since my budget for the whole thing is not massive I don't really want to spend a lot of money so I have the opportunity of buying a ridgeback world voyage from 2009 for £300. The question is, is the bike worth it? And, will it be good enough for that kind of trip?

Probably the questions are a bit stupid but I'm quite new in touring and would like some advise to make sure I'm not getting the wrong thing
I'll leave a photo, I suppose it'll help
View attachment 343645
Thanks everyone!
Pedro
If if it's the right size and it looks in good order, then go for it. Yes you could probs pick-up a newer one for some more bucks, but limited budget means limited budget.
They are very good bikes. Add low-rider panniers for extra load and you could go go around the world without issue.
Perfect for your needs.

OP
OP
P
Thanks everyone for the responses, very helpful!
I'm going to try it this Saturday and if size is right (I think it will be, 56 medium frame and I am 6') I'll get it.

It might be a little overpriced but I'm sruggling to find steel frame for around that price in my area so as long as it does the job well I don't mind paying 50 pounds over since it's my best option.
Plus I already pushed the price down from the 350 he originally wanted!

Thanks again!

Top Bottom