Ridiculous cycling products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My usual answer, gear indicaters.

View attachment 527484
Gear indicators like the one shown are useful. They let you know if you have a reserve gear when puffing up a hill, or allow you to understand if you're operating a straight chain combo between front and rear cogs.

Though, I've seen some that are numbered, and these definitely fall into the 'not required' bucket.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Helmet cameras.
Only when used by vigilantes out to cause trouble.

Venod

Eh up
Gear indicators like the one shown are useful. They let you know if you have a reserve gear when puffing up a hill, or allow you to understand if you're operating a straight chain combo between front and rear cogs.

Though, I've seen some that are numbered, and these definitely fall into the 'not required' bucket.
I can't see me adopting them anytime soon, I have never thought in 50+ years, I could do with a gear indicator.

I do have some Shimano indicators, that I removed from I think SX shifters, free to anybody who has use for them.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Gear indicators are so counter productive. My daughter is completely obsessive over what number gear she's in, to the point that she can have a wobble while looking down to see... I've tried and tried to guide her to change gear by feel but she's forever fixated by the number and wonders how I have ever managed without an indicator. 🤷‍♂️
There's no telling kids sometimes.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Derailleurs are normally unaffected by small side impacts. This device ensures that you cannot access the small sprockets after such an incident because it has bent into the parallelogram. So one takes it off and throws it away. Easier not to fit it in the first place.

View attachment 527433
Those aren't fitted to protect the derailleur; they are to protect the hanger the derailleur is attached to.
Quite minor knocks can put enough of a bend in a hanger to spoil your shifting in a quite hard to track down manner.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Derailleurs are normally unaffected by small side impacts. This device ensures that you cannot access the small sprockets after such an incident because it has bent into the parallelogram. So one takes it off and throws it away. Easier not to fit it in the first place.

View attachment 527433
On a teenager's bike, who insists on lying his bike down on its side all the time, they're a God send.

figbat

Slippery scientist
This...

...AND this...
Gear indicators are so counter productive. My daughter is completely obsessive over what number gear she's in, to the point that she can have a wobble while looking down to see... I've tried and tried to guide her to change gear by feel but she's forever fixated by the number and wonders how I have ever managed without an indicator. 🤷‍♂️
There's no telling kids sometimes.

I have one MTB with indicators and one without. The one without is the newer one with much fancier components, but I do miss the ability to know how much "bail out" I have left on a steep climb. There's not much more soul-destroying than pushing for a lower gear and getting the solid feel that tells you you're out of gears.

But the kid thing is also true - mine obsess over being "in gear x". I am slowly getting the concept of gearing, speed and effort across to them and replacing their grip-shifts with trigger shifts has helped with their more intuitive use of the gears.

Top Bottom